3rd gear whine

Trans Doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There should be very little to no noise from the trans. Keep after the dealer for a replacement.

John
Donato Engineering

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I followed up with the dealer today, and it doesn't look good. They can't find anything about a third gear replacement, and the service manager doesn't want to authorize a replacement incase it doesn't get approved. So, it looks like I may just have to deal with it.

They acknowledge that it's not normal and that there is a problem (they haven't had a Viper with this noise before), but it doesn't look like I'll be able to get it fixed.

- Anthony

Bookie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the same exact problem in third gear. I have always noticed the noise but I did not attribute it to the trans. After reading your post, my 3rd gear reacts the same way. I will ask my Viper tech about the issue when I get to the dealer.

Trans Doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year is the Viper ?
You could contact the factory service rep direct and fill him in on the trans noise. I have not heard of the dealers repairing a Viper trans. Just R&R.

Bookie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Viper is a 2004, how do I get ahold of a service rep.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Many times these noises are rear end related. Make sure that the noise is not heard in other gears. Put the car on a rack and isolate the noise while running it through the gears. I have sworn that a transmission is bad, only to find out it is not.

Dan

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the third gear whine and ticking sound in my 06' coupe from brand new (11 miles). Really noticable on decel. After 900 additional miles, it was not going away. Nothing major and no change in performance, just annoying. The top of the tranny and gear shifter were very, very hot however. I never drove it hard as I was till breaking it it.

I thought maybe the synchros were out of whack so I took it to the Dodge dealer to check it out and no questions asked, they just replaced the tranny completely as their recommendation. Now it emits no heat and I can not hear a thing from it on accel or decel. 2,000 additional miles with no problems.

I would hazard a guess it is the tranny, but then again those power steering pump issues can be deceiving as well. Hope you figure it out soon.

Bookie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: 3rd gear whine - HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone ever figured out the mysterious 3rd gear whine. I have learned to live with it, but feel it is just a matter of time before something goes. Any additional advice.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any wine wile Driving is not good, the Police will arrest you, and it is not recommended by the Surgeon General.

Best park car in garage before drinking :D

:outtahere:

OP
OP
A

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 3rd gear whine - HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone ever figured out the mysterious 3rd gear whine. I have learned to live with it, but feel it is just a matter of time before something goes. Any additional advice.

It's nothing that is going to go bad, just a gear that wasn't machined properly, if I remember correctly. Chrysler refused to fix this for me, so I highly doubt you'll be able to get anywhere.

- Anthony

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a very old post, but I found it using the search feature. I have third gear whine, has anyone determined a solution?

Oops I almost forgot, the year matters... 2003. Thanks.

Bookie

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I brought my car to a viper tech at bugler dodge in eaton town nj about 2 months ago. We went for a ride and he heard the whine. They had the car for about 3 weeks and replaced certain parts (covered under my 7/70) in the trans and the noise is completely gone. Not sure what they did but I can try to connect you with my viper tech if you think it would be helpful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave