4 ohm or 8 ohm?

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to beat the speaker subject to death but when upgrading speakers with the factory head unit and amp what is the correct ohm speaker to use?

What happens if you use the wrong one?

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what the factory ohm is but most likely it is 4. If you put 8 ohm speakers in nothing will happen. 8 ohm speakers just wouldn't be as loud. The reverse could be bad but all car audio is 4 ohm capable and most is 2 ohm capable.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If your speakers have too low of a resistance value for the amp, the amp will get hot and possibly burn up or blow a fuse.

OP
OP
J

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I stumbled across some MOMO's that are 4 ohm.

For anyone who has installed these in the doors, where did you mount the crossovers?

GodShall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually, the viper has a rare 6ohm system and I highly doubt you'll find a aftermarket replacement. Even Dodge doesnt sell them any longer. Have to use , [******] I forget their name. Ordered a sub not too long ago.

Anyway, A higher ohm speaker will roast your amp, that is a promise. Dodge doesnt make it easy to swap. If you take it to a good radio place they will most likely tell you to scrap the entire thing and start over which is the right thing to do if you want a great system.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Yep, I put a new deck and all new speakers in my '95 rt/10. The crossovers were so large, they had to be tucked up under the dash on both sides. I had alpine 6" and tweeters put in the doors and a pair of JL audio 6" subwoofers in the middle. I think JL audio was the only one at the time to offer subwoofers in the small 6" size. Now I can hear the music with the top off at 70 mph!

GodShall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oops, yes I meant lower ohm...It was like 2 in the moring..LOL

I knew what I mean.

With lower impedance speakers the amp has to work harder to drive them.

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most all car speakers are 8 ohms.
4 ohms are mostly subs. You can find some 4 ohms speakers but you will need a new amp to give them the juice they need. 6 ohms ive never seen in a factory car before but Its very possible when the car has amps from the factory its all setup to work correctly.

Any car that has amps from the factory, needs to be upgraded. and i mean EVERYTHING. It is very hard to get everything working with everything properly and even if you do, something is likely to roast, or it will just sound like crap overal compared to just getting a few new things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4