4 post lift group buy?

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just installed a "DIRECT LIFT" four post lift, and this lift is identical to it! More than likely, it is the same equipment with different stickers. That being said, I love mine. Viper on top, Daughter's Honda Accord below. $1895 is the same price I paid. If you get a group price, that's great. I think whoever buys one will be happy. One suggestion, Bolt it to the floor and only use the casters
when having to move the lift out of the way is absolutely needed. Putting the Viper up in the air without having the legs lagged to the floor was too hairy for me.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here's the lift from the group buy. If you get one of these lifts, I would say find a spot where it will stay and bolt it down. Once it bolted down, it's very solid and safe. Also adjusting the cables is a must for saftey!

The only lift I would not worry about bolting down is the back yard buddy that has the collar around the post.

440DSC06224-med.JPG

440DSC06213-med.JPG

440DSC06216.JPG

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just installed a "DIRECT LIFT" four post lift, and this lift is identical to it! More than likely, it is the same equipment with different stickers. That being said, I love mine. Viper on top, Daughter's Honda Accord below. $1895 is the same price I paid. If you get a group price, that's great. I think whoever buys one will be happy. One suggestion, Bolt it to the floor and only use the casters
when having to move the lift out of the way is absolutely needed. Putting the Viper up in the air without having the legs lagged to the floor was too hairy for me.

Did you actually try to put your car up on the lift with it not lagged to the floor? I'm just thinking here in the northwest with a lot of earthquakes it would be better not lagged. Did it not feel solid with the car up in place and locked?

Thanks in advance. I am also looking for a lift.

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRTJOE: Are you in Portland? If you're close by, we could at least save on shipping if we can't get the group buy price....
I dunno about leaving the columns unbolted; it seems that the legs might "walk" during an earthquake, and possibly collapse. For my air compressor, they suggest putting down lagbolts, but not securely tightening the nuts. The compressor doesn't walk, but is free to move/vibrate. I think similiar rationale for the lift might be okay?

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not to hi-jack this but....
FYI: I just had installed, my Revolution Lift I bought from
that group buy last March, and am loving it so far......
Seems very sturdy without being bolted down...
I also live in Earthquake country and was trying to decide to bolt or not and have decided I would rather have it "walk" than shake...Any engineers have a better idea???

Cheers,

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I purchased my "Direct Lift" from Greg Smith's equipment sales, the rep I spoke to said that 90% of the customers do not bolt them to the floor. That being said, I wasn't about to throw my Viper in the air and raise it to the top position without having the legs lagged down. Had visions of a leg kicking out and trashing my car. I can see my insurance guys face after that one. I'm not in earthquake territory, but it seems that lagging the legs to the floor would give you a fighting chance. With the car in the upper position, I'd almost bet that a leg would certainly kick out and cause a disaster during a quake.

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just installed my lift as well. Bought mine from American Lift. $1895. They also threw in 4 casters (to make it mobile), 3 drip pans and a jack tray for that price. It's very stable with the car on top, without bolting to the floor.

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SRTJOE: Are you in Portland? If you're close by, we could at least save on shipping if we can't get the group buy price....
I dunno about leaving the columns unbolted; it seems that the legs might "walk" during an earthquake, and possibly collapse. For my air compressor, they suggest putting down lagbolts, but not securely tightening the nuts. The compressor doesn't walk, but is free to move/vibrate. I think similiar rationale for the lift might be okay?

obaa996, Sounds good to me. I am about 10miles out of Portland. Which lift do you want?

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completely Hydraulic's website says delivered to your door by truck, but you are responsible for getting it out of the truck with a forklift or wrecker with a boom.

How did you guys get these things off of the freight truck?

Anyone call them yet to see if they would still honor the group buy price?

Thanks

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called, the friendly ******* the other end told me that we need to have a trailer load of 6 or more for the discount.

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, sounds like we are pretty close to enough already! For the last go-around, I think their requirement was just the number of lifts sold, and not that they had to go to the same place; I'm going to call and ask. I'm also curious how you folks unloaded the lifts from the truck? I live in suburbia helll, and don't have access to a fork lift, tractor, etc....
SRTJOE: I'm in the Tanasbourne area, between Beaveron/Hillsboro. It's about 8 miles west of downtown, right off hwy 26. I haven't decided which lift yet, as we're still getting someone to come over to raise the ceiling on the garage, but I wouldn't have any issues picking one and having it sit until the garage is finished. I'll send you a pm later this weekend after I pick one out.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a 4 post lift for about 10 years. I have never bolted it to the floor and have had no issues whatsoever. The only time I was even close to concerned was when I was tightening the crankshaft damper bolt (250 ft-lbs) and made sure I was bracing against a post when I applied the torque. Seeing these group buys makes me think about adding 2 more lifts :)

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I have unloaded my lifts. Simply cut the metal bands and carry one piece at a time with friends. The heaviest piece is the runner with the hydraulic cylinder underneath (maybe 200 lbs).

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I have unloaded my lifts. Simply cut the metal bands and carry one piece at a time with friends. The heaviest piece is the runner with the hydraulic cylinder underneath (maybe 200 lbs).

That's how the guys unloaded my lift...
They started with 3 guys and unloaded it piece by piece...then used "dollys" to roll the heavy stuff down the driveway.....The when they started to assemble it, only 2 guys stayed and managed easily......FYI: I also think the Revolution lift is heavier, so if you are going to buy the "complete hydraulics" lift, it will probably be even easier....

Cheers,

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you are saying that the trucking company driver will wait until you break it down and pull off each piece off the truck?
My expierence with these guys is if you can't get it off right then, it goes back to the dock. They don't have all day to play around, they have other stops.

That's how the guys unloaded my lift...
They started with 3 guys and unloaded it piece by piece...then used "dollys" to roll the heavy stuff down the driveway.....The when they started to assemble it, only 2 guys stayed and managed easily......FYI: I also think the Revolution lift is heavier, so if you are going to buy the "complete hydraulics" lift, it will probably be even easier....

Cheers,

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spoke with Pam(?) at Complete Hydraulics. According to her, we just need a firm order of 6 or more lifts. It doesn't matter if they are different models, or going to different places. The discount will vary according to the model of the lift. The basic 8K lift will be $1750, which is $100 more than last time; perhaps someone with sharper negotiating skills can speak with her?
The ordering/billing would be directly with them; i.e. you call in directly to them with your billing/shipping info, and make payment directly to them; you just need to state that you are with the Viper club group buy when you place the order.
As for shipping, she told me that it is ~$400-$600 to ship a lift out to the PNW; there's a break for sending multiple lifts to the same location, but she didn't quote an exact amount (since the lifts vary in dimension and weight). As for unloading the lift piecemeal, she suggested that it *might* happen if the drivers were sufficiently tipped, but not likely, as they need to get in/out of each stop as quickly as possible. Her suggestion was to arrange to drop the lift(s) off at a business with access to a forklift and/or loading dock. That's the thing that's a deal breaker for me again...

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shipping seams a little high. obaa996 I have a place in S.E.Portland where we could get them off the truck but then you would need a trailer to get the lift to your place.

OP
OP
O

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRTJOE: The shipping estimates were pretty rough; I think we could get a more exact quote once we have lift model #'s, quantity, etc.
I could pick up from SE (if given a hand with loading), but would likely have to pick up piecemeal over several trips; I can tow a small trailer with my Jeep, but I don't think it's rated at 2k lbs. Would that be a problem?
Let me see if I can remember who was looking for the big lifts, and see if they want in on this...
Please send me a PM with your contact info. I'm in San Jose right now but should be back tonight, barring any more airport issues...