40mm brake upgrade

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the 40mm calipers put on the rear of my acr.The rears now lock up much faster then I thought they would.I know this means they are now working but I am just wondering what others have thought after they had this done.My rears now lock up first ,I tried trail braking and nothing weird but I had thought they should be more even front to rear(I also did steal braided lines and Motul 4)

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you checked to see if your proportioning valve is in place? My experience with the 40's is that with stock valve in place, you should still be able to modulate braking fairly well so that rears don't lock first.

Not sure why your rears are locking first, unless you or someone else removed that valve.

OP
OP
A

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt change anything but the rear calipers.So if the valve was there it still is.I can modulate the brakes but under thresh hold braking they want to lock first.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other vehicle things:
More weight in front/less in rear than usual? (is rear light?)
Same tire compounds front and rear? (are fronts stickier?)
Same brake pads (new?) front and rear? (non OEM pads that heat up more slowly?)
Same shock settings front and rear? (loading the tires at different rates?)
Is there a chance the proportioning valve is disabled? (It's a few minutes to look and bleeding one rear brake)

You've got a well tuned car if you haven't commented that the right front behaves different from the left front. The only other report to date close to rear lockup was someone with race rubber, lots of front weight shift, open runway at an airport, spent all day threshhold braking, and saw it on video.

OP
OP
A

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom we didnt change anything but the brake lines and your rears and the dot 4 fluid.....I will call you tomorrow

beckertb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just installed the 40 mm rears as well. My findings are the same, though I have upgraded to the Brembo BBK on the front. Prior to the rear caliper swap, the fronts locked very prematurely, not it is just the opposite........my rears lock prematurely. I have the stock proportioning valve in place. When I figure it out, I'll let you know.

Best regards,

Ben

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had my 40mm calipers from Tom on for quite awhile now. With my taller 19" rear tires, even with my proportioning valve seal removed the front locks first (passenger front before the driver's). Best mod I have done to my car so far. I thought it was plain dangerous without it. Next step is to make a spring spacer for the drooping driver's rear and see if I can get that passenger front tire hooked up a bit better.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom:

what did you mean ab out bleeding one rear brake?
To inspect the proportioning valve you have to open the rear half the system which then must be bled through at least one rear brake to make sure no air entered when you had the prop valve apart.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phoenix:

If you had air in the rear, wouldn't the rears be less likely to lock up first? It sounded as though Tom was testing the prop valve.

OP
OP
A

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beck,I will be talking to Tom this afternoon to go over how the installation was done and I will let you know if he has any theory on why we are having this problem.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phoenix:

If you had air in the rear, wouldn't the rears be less likely to lock up first? It sounded as though Tom was testing the prop valve.
I believe Tom is asking that he check and see if a previous owner removed either the spring or seal from the prop valve. In order to make this inspection, the rear of the system has to be opened and therefore bled afterward. I don't believe he is saying needing to bleed the rears would contribute to the complaint.

OP
OP
A

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,sorry I erased your PM before I could respond (to fast on the trigger) but I spoke to Tom today and he is a great guy and we are setting up a time to meet and try to figure out why mine is locking up.PM me and I will keep you posted. I will say however that Tom really stands behind his product.Its a nice thing to see.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem Steve. Was just wondering what brake pads and tires you had on your car.

Thanks

p.s. I know Tom well and there is no better.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have this upgrade with rear prop valve disabled and no premature rear lockup.

Mind you, I have much wider tires on the front (and only slightly wider ones on the rear) which would tend to delay the front wheel lockup relative to the rear.

I have BM3 pads all around so I don't know if this pad material matters much. It's not one of those pads that need much heat to grab so I doubt there's much difference from front to rear.

I'll be interested to hear what Tom finds/thinks.

OP
OP
A

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys I have good news.I had the rear brakes bled and :) yupppp that was it.After having my initial problem I called Tom and it was his suggestion that you must bleed them and then drive the car then bleed them again.It seems that by driving the car allows all the trapped air to move around enabling it to be removed properly.Do not ask my why air in the rear causes the rear to lock, sounds like it would be the opposite Well now I can actually get great peddle feel with what feels like much increased stopping power.The fronts will lock up but only if I really stomp.....this is a good thing :) I do want to thank Tom for standing behind his product all the way.He was even willing to drive an hour to me, any time I wanted to take a look at the brakes and figure out the problem.He told me from the start that I was one of the only guys who had this strange rear lock up and if we could not figure it out he would give me another set to try or return my money and send me back my original set You wont find me on here endorsing people all the time so take it for what its worth, Tom is a stand up guy with a stand up product. I hope to be at Lime Rock with it in early April and insted of dreding braking into Big Bend I know I will be ducking under and out braking alot of cars. :) Thanks for everyones concern and remember "Bleed Drive Bleed"

nismobrown

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have just fitted this upgrade to my 99 gts and have found a huge improvement in pedal feel and braking. I nearly smashed my viper after locking the fronts up for almost 100 yards on cold tyres and a cold road so something had to be done to improve the brakes and this 40mm rear conversion has given me the confidence back in the car .I can't thank Tom , Nadine and Chuck enough for their assistance in getting this sorted .
I think this is a must on any non ABS viper

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96