5 Point Harness Question

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should be concerned about the extra belt length required to go around the seat in a curve instead of straight through and that under extreme forces the seat might compress and the belt might loosen. Maybe it is safe and legal but I wouldn't do it.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
99: I don't think that the SCCA would approve of the set up that Daryl is asking about. I would just recommend that Daryl invest in some harness pads to reduce the discomfort that he is experiencing, instead of rerouting the belts around the seat. I also wouldn't recommend that you use your 5 points on the street, because they aren't legal in any state.

Another option is replacing the stock seat with one that has a harness routing system that is more comfortable for you.

I hope that this helps.

Reaction score
The goal of a 5 or 6 point harness is to hold the driver in place to prevent impact with the steering wheel, and other hard objects while keeping the soft tissue damage to a minimum. That said make sure the harness is installed to provide the support intended. I thought we would all learn from Dale E's attitude for safety equipment. If the shoulder straps are to far apart on impact you can ship through them causing serious injury. Use safety equipment to help you survive the unexpected OH S..T situation that happens to the other guy, but not you! Call Schroth Within the USA 1-888-467-3269 / 978-532-1145 if you have any questions. They are very helpful and know their stuff. Question of the day what is the best lap belt width? 2" or 3"?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try checking out TeamTech . They have a superior product and already provide the padding you may be looking for. We have 2 sets, we've installed some more and everyone that sees them and uses them, wants a set. Just ask JonB... The extra padding and integrated sternum strap spreads out the impact forces over a larger area thus reducing the chances for injury from your body coming into contact with the belts. You also tend to tighten them down more as they are comfortable. Not cheap - although very reasonable right now at PartsRack. Ram Pac 6001 is the model. Check out the testimonials.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
BINGO....3" dissipates much more energy than 2".....and is less likley to do bodily harm in an accident.....but "PADDED 3" is by far the best. Bobby Archer claims that his car-totalling accident in a Team-Tech racing Viper was virtually pain / ache /belt-rash free, amazing his crew and friends.

The padding helps your shoulders, collarbone, sternum, and ribs. The scary thought of hitting the sub-belt with your privates (that's what its there for) is much nicer to comprehend with a pelvic pad.. All of the above in a TeamTech 6001. Hint: Watch for a Head/Neck protection option soon!

PartsRack was able to meet the required buy-in because of buyers from the VCA board, so we are extending our "help us" sale to a "thank you" sale for April......Custom Colors and adjusters....mounting options.....if you are "size challenged", small or large, custom fit at no extra charge!

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni,
I have heard that you have great harness installation instructions. If this is correct, could you provide a link?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Sorry Wrong Answer. GT-3 Prosche's are shipped with 3" shoulder straps and 2" lap belts. F1/CART presently use 3" lap but are evaluating 2". The reason for the 2" belt, it fits in the pelvic bone curve and the 3" slip on top of the bone curve. The 2" gives better support (when in the curve) reducing soft tissue damage caused if the belt slips over the curved bone.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1) The original question was, "can you route belts either side of seatback" The answer is YES, but ONLY if you use a seat-back strap......that allows the belts to be routed outside, but keep them together for comfort and safety. Been used in PCA races for years......invented by a chief Penske engineer. Straps available for $20 !

If the belt is properly tightened, a 3" belt will absorb at LEAST 50% more energy / sq inch than a 2" belt. If it is improperly positioned, I cannot understand how the 2" would do less damage......the "rash in a crash" problem aside.

All the MORE reason to have TeamTech harness pads in pelvic area, to minimize or eliminate bruising or rash !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog