5 point harness?

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am interested in a 5 point harness for a Gen 2 GTS. What harness is the best in your opinion, driver and passenger sides? This car will still be a daily driver, with a little track time on the weekends.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No question, Team Tech from Jon B.

I installed per Henry & Janni Cones very detailed directions and love it. I got the 5 / 6 point option and much prefer the 6 point for Viper Days events.

Be careful on the inner seat belt eye hook. On mine it ended up tearing the inner seat cushion because of the way the factory mounted my seat. Test fit everything first before sliding the seat for and aft. If obstruction is found, fine tune rather then muscling it as I did.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

We offer RJS 5 point harnesses that have 3" shoulder and lap belts. These have a sewn on tag that shows SFI approval for all sanctioned racing events.

They use the state of the art Cam Lok fastening mehcanism for quick connect and release. The harnesses are not big and bulky and provide the ultimate in protection without the irritation associated with many other brands.

You can have them in your choice of Red, Black or Blue.

Cost is $ 149.00 Per Set.

Thanks,

Tom

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that anything other than the stock three points are considered illegal by DOT. Just don't want you guys recieving a fine.

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I liske the look of the team techs but I don't like the fit. I had a mustang tuner install them so Not sure if they are installed wrong or maybe the size is wrong. they look awesome but mine dont fit comfortable.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that anything other than the stock three points are considered illegal by DOT. Just don't want you guys recieving a fine.

Technicality. Federal law requires 3points to be installed from the factory, but is also ok to install 5/6 points. If you got pulled over while having you 5points fastened it would depend on the specific wording of the local law. At any rate, a cop or judge would have to be a complete "Ito" (after the infamous O.J. judge) to fine you while wearing a racing safety harness. Being that so many in law enforcement are idiots I guess you are correct, a ticket is a possibility.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fifth point is useless unless it is positioned directly under the family jewels which requires the seat bottom to be cut for the belt to come up through. I have factory five points so I'm not about to change. If I were in the market, I would go for the Team Tech six points which offer a much higher degree of restraint and most say are the best.

Reaction score
The submarine belts function is to hold the lap belt in pace(under the curve in the hip bone) to prevent the body from slipping under the lap belt. The lap belt is not a belly belt and the submarine belts function is not to castrate. That is why GT2 Porsche race cars use lap straps 2 1/2", it fits in the curve of the hip. The 3" lap belts are more belly belts and provide less protection from a severe crash. The submarine function could be better if it did not rap around the seat cushion.

The center belt (submarine belt ) function is not to hold you by the family jewels. :shocked:

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the California Highway Patrol (I asked) a racing harness is an acceptable alternative to factory belts.

Something to keep in mind while shopping is the long term cost. Event organizers typically require belts no more than 2 years old. Deist is the only manufacturer I've found who will inspect and reweb your existing hardware. Everyone else makes you buy brand new belts and hardware.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Teamtech will inspect and reweb your belts, as shown right on their website. We have had this done.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred,

Most of us view the harness as a safety bonus on top of the factory safety equipment. Mostly the harness is a way to keep from flopping around in the car while we're driving. Anything which meets SFI standards should be more than adequate. So, I don't think the "$10 helmet for a $10 head" argument is appropriate here.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred,
Seriously, the snakeolys are certified belts, 3 inch wide.
I thought if they are certified they would all be the same.
Meaning isn't a 3 inch belt a 3 inch belt?
it has a quick rotorary cam type lock/unlock system.
Have you every used the snakeoly riding in someone elses car?

I see from the Schroth website some belts are only 2 inch.

The reason I ask is when time comes to replace these belts I would like to consider upgrading
if necessary.
thanks
JIM

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not in my wildest dreams could I imagine ever getting a ticket for this, and I've even had a ticket once for no high beam indicator.

Reality test:

Has anyone out there ever received a ticket for this? I didn't think so.

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

A 3" belt measures 3 inches. What is the stitch feature? is it designed to ? keep the belt from separating, stretching, tearing, etc?

Are the belt materials (hardware stitch and cloth belt) all the same? Do any of the harness manufactures test their products in simulated accidents? Pull material measure and record stretch and break data?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred,
you ask great questions.
I dont know.. but wouldn't they have to be tested to receive certification?
And of course, pass those tests?

I wish snakeoly would chime in here....
They would know.

Reaction score
They all have to meet min. specs.

Schroth goes beyond doing crash test to improve performance. Check the Schroth web site.

When Dan Cragin was working on my ACR for street/track the stock ACR restraints were replaced with Schroth because they seemed to be among the best. I spoke with various suppliers trying to figure which to buy. Ended up getting a ton of info and a Power Point presentation from Schroth on their restraints. Their testing is ongoing to make restraints that are the best.

I think it would be good to see how the other suppliers test their products.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Team Tech was chosen by PVO for all their testing, and as OEM for the Comp Coupe. And an upcoming option for SRT/10 (6-point only) If I was buying for a lay-down F-1 chassis I might choose Willans or Schroth. My belts in 93 and 95-96 were Shroth. I prefer the TeamTech. As does Tommy Archer and Bobby. Tommy claims the padding flat-out saved his life. Check out Viper Days VRL cars.

TeamTech has manufactured the OEM receiver bushings (designed by Henry Cone) and PartsRack includes them free, so you can use your OE belts AND/OR your TeamTechs. Choose 6-points for $10 more....and youll stay PLANTED back in the seat even upside-down....... Much beter control in high-g or "rough" excursions.

Dont like the padding? Find the pads confining? Willing to risk sternum/groin/harness-rash injury? Save some $, the pads are OPTIONAL.

PartsRack has 5-point Team Techs from $89 / set. Fully-padded Ram-Packs, convertible to 6pt, "well under $300" in 7 mix/match colors: Belts/pads/release and pull tabs can coordiante your car or team-paint. Ships under 1 week, even in custom (no charge) colors!

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with Shroth and like them. Be sure and get pull up waist belts. I got the pull downs and they are a PITA to tighten.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought 6 points from JonB and they look great, feel great, and were quick getting to me even with custom colors on webbing and padding.

I can't imagine belts being much nicer.