5 pt or 6 pt......pros and cons

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on 5 pt or 6 pt harnesses. The only track time would be a few 1/4 mile runs a year. They would also have to be something my wife could stand. I've heard you guys say the 6 pt is the way to go. Has anyone done the teamtech 6 pt install on a GTS? How does the install differ from the one in the "illustrated upgrades"?

Also, would the buckle assembly work fine without the crotch strap buckled? Assuming I get the 6 pt harness and the wife hates it, can she buckle all straps but the bottom one? Any other recommendations other than teamtech? Thanks!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 6 point, though not on a GTS. Not sure how that would affect things though.

In hindsight I probably would opt for 5 points if I were to do it again. The primary factor is comfort and ease (wimpy reasons I know). The six point buckle is mounted on the thigh belts. As such it is riding on the seat and subjecting th eseat leather to damage and high wear. As a result I remove the belts after each track use.

With 5 points the buckle is on the seat belt and can be taken out of the way. In addition you can use it as a 4 point when the need for 5 point is not there.

It may be possible to relocate the buckle to another strap. But with 6 points you cannot get rid of the center straps from riding on the seat.

But, If I were in a crash (God forbid) I would rather be wearing the 6 point and save the groin press for another day.

foolinjected

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have the 5 point in other cars and it's very comfortable. no whining from the girls either. in fact they like them because they feel more safe. i've crashed hard, and rolled...no severe seat belt pain. super easy to get in and out of. do your research to find the one for you. some seemed too easy to unlatch, which made me afraid of an accidental release of the belts...ie...the button style. i know of a guy in a jeep who was killed when he rolled hard and accidentally smacked his button. he was thrown and rolled on. i prefer the lever latch style. they don't look as cool, but seem safer to me. you can use the 5 point as 4 point... it will latch, but that kind of defeats the purpose? the crotch strap isn't uncomfortable, because when you have it set up properly it should put very little pressure towards the crotch. it's more for holding the harness in vertical position. the lap belt and shoulder belts will be the snug ones. my $0.02. good luck.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am buying belts too and I'm leaning more into 6 points (OK for occational VCA days or other SCCA events) and perhaps Schroth.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can have both. Something like a $35.00 additional cost from Jon B. The six points (Team Techs at least) use the OEM seat belt mounts and while the five points use the OEM bolt mount in front of the seat. I mounted the eye bolt there and the six points on the sides and tried both. Much prefer the 6 points. More solid feel. I leave them mounted and beneath / behind the seat. Never know that they're there until you want them. Helps that they're solid black.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the ACR 5 point in my car and it’s very comfortable. As far as the wife, I keep them tucked behind the seat for daily driving and use the stock belts. But IMO, if your not that serious with racing, I wouldn’t fool with it.

OP
OP
T

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard, the 6 pt submarine belts are attached to the lap belts? Wouldn't that make it awkward to get on? It seems with the 5 point, you can place it on the floor in front of the seat until you're ready to put it on. Is that not possible with the 6 pt?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've seen an in car video crash of someone wearing a (5 or 4?) point seatbelt. Passanger didn't have a crotch strap and she submarined...wasn't pretty. Broken collarbone and stuff.

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had both 5 and 6 points...without a doubt, much prefer the 6 point belts.

Feel much more comfortable, safe, and aren't really in the way IMO.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte