5W-30 or 10W-30?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking in my shop manual, it says 5W-30 (preferred) with a range of 100 degrees Fahrenheit or below, or 10W-30 with a range of 0 degrees or higher. Is having a thinner cold viscosity ok during the summer when it may be near or at 100 degrees? What's everyone using?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 5W-30 is not thinner than a 10W-30. Even a 0W-30 will be between 9.3 cSt and 12.5 cSt at 100C (when your oil is "hot") and all three have a similar HTHS viscosity (another measurement meant to simulate how the oil behaves in a bearing.) It also does not matter whether it is a synthetic or not; a "30" is a "30" is a "30".

The OEMs prefer the 5W-30 because while the engine is cold it will use more fuel with the 10W-30 than the 5W-30. The only other difference is how easily the oil is sucked up the oil pickup tube at temperatures around -30C to -40C.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 11 quarts of 10W-30 Mobil 1 Trisynthetic left over from my 2002 GTS days. $50 + shipping if you are interested let me know.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 5W-30 is not thinner than a 10W-30. Even a 0W-30 will be between 9.3 cSt and 12.5 cSt at 100C (when your oil is "hot") and all three have a similar HTHS viscosity (another measurement meant to simulate how the oil behaves in a bearing.) It also does not matter whether it is a synthetic or not; a "30" is a "30" is a "30".

The OEMs prefer the 5W-30 because while the engine is cold it will use more fuel with the 10W-30 than the 5W-30. The only other difference is how easily the oil is sucked up the oil pickup tube at temperatures around -30C to -40C.

Wouldn't you also suffer more internal wear during start and warm up with 10W than 5W?

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
0-40W here and no problems. Also use 0-40W in my Miata that sees some autox and a lot of rpms and it loves it. Temp. range here is from about 18 in the Winter to nearly 100 in the Summer and I use the 0-40W year around. :)

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't you also suffer more internal wear during start and warm up with 10W than 5W?

There would be no discernable wear differences between the two at the temperatures 99.9% of all Viper owners drive in.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

TV myth. The additives protect the surfaces until oil arrives, regardless of viscosity. And it arrives a lot sooner than you think. The difference between 5W and 10W is only apparent at -30C anyway. Who drives then?

I would add to Copernicus that it's when 99.9% of all drivers start and drive in.

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,
Back in my Bike days, when I drag raced every Friday night, I ran 0w-0.

Whats your view on this from a performance and protection standpoint?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Performance improvements with engine oil are mostly due to viscosity, so thinner is better. That should spin your head when one marketer says their "racing oil" is so much better than another. (Within each SAE grade is a range of allowable viscosity, so they formulated to the thin end.) As OEMs and engine builders learn how to make round things perfectly round and flat things perfectly flat, using a lower viscosity oil will be more and more normal- witness the SAE 5W-20 factory fill oil in the new HEMI engine.

Something that is called 0W-0 (although there is no official viscosity grade lower than SAE 20) would be great until the oil warmed up significantly, which takes longer than a drag race. NASCAR restrictor plate qualifying oils are this thin; good for two laps, then shut it down.

Protection of non-hydrodynamic lubricated parts (valvetrain, piston pins, to some degree skirts and rings) will still be via additives. Anti-wear additives, friction modifiers, balanced with the right amount of detergents. Adding too much of one screws you up, since these additives compete for metal surface sites. While an ashless friction modifier has it's place, too much of it will keep anti-wear additives from doing it's job. A fully formulated oil is always safer than adding to an oil.

I've formulated oils like this. My technology consulting company recently had an "interesting" business experience which leads to offering this oil to the public. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=250100337664&rd=1,1 It's an SAE 0W-20 (although the performance would be better than "0W", there is no official category lower than "0W.")

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960