$600 Nail

SRT²

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This one hurts! and only after 3000 miles!!

nailsm.jpg

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya.. that *****.. We had the same problem on 2 cars after roofers replaced the shingles on our roof and didn't clean up all their nails.. Couldn't you just get a patch on the inside of the tire?

OP
OP
S

SRT²

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will patch this one but keep it as a spare. I would be nervous on the track with a patched tire. :(

Anyone have any pointers on the type of balance I need to ask for? I did have a hard time finding someone just to mount a tire this size.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plugged a tire and never had problems and went WAY over 100mph MANY times. and it had about 15K miles on it when i replaced it finally.

not easy to find guys to mount and balance tires that size.

lok around for a "tuner/rice" type of shop, they usually do a lot of wheels and have the right machine to do them

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plugged a tire and never had problems and went WAY over 100mph MANY times. and it had about 15K miles on it when i replaced it finally.

not easy to find guys to mount and balance tires that size.

lok around for a "tuner/rice" type of shop, they usually do a lot of wheels and have the right machine to do them

same here several times. at one point actually had two different plugs in one rear tires....no problems ever

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will patch this one but keep it as a spare. I would be nervous on the track with a patched tire. :(

Anyone have any pointers on the type of balance I need to ask for? I did have a hard time finding someone just to mount a tire this size.

Most Discount Tire locations will have the equipment for doing these.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A patch keeps the air inside the tire. A plug keeps water and road grit from ruining the belt package over time. As long as the diameter of the puncture is not too large, Z-patch, or patch AND plug = no worries.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been riding on a patch for three years, never lost the slightest air pressure.

OP
OP
S

SRT²

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

I had the new tire put on today and patched the old one to keep as a spare. I found a great shop to replace my tire. If anyone ever needs a repair/replace in Baton Rouge then Jefferson Car Care can help. They had nylon protectors on all of the sections that came in contact with the rim so I made it out with no marks.:) They balanced it out with a new laser balancer and used the 3M adhesive stick on weights. The tech told me this should hold up to the heat at any track event instead of needing to tape down the weights. I took the road test just after this and all was very smooth.

I am now ready to Head to VOI X at the end of the month!

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have plugged my tires many times with a plug gun I bought from NAPA that uses mushroom shaped plugs that you shoot in from the outside of the tire and they mushroom out to form a seal inside the tire. hell you do not even have to remove the wheel or tire! the part number from NAPA is below.

710-1637
FLAT TIRE REPAIR KIT

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Different type vehicle but my wifes denali had 5 or 6 plugs in one tire...they lasted 55k miles before we changed them all at once.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Costco, surprisingly replaced my tires and comes with a hazard plan, which would cover the patch, or replace tire for free if it was in the side wall.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I had a $2000 trip to Taco Bell one night. :)

(new front fascia and impact bar)

Reaction score
Robbie, where was that information about 6 months ago when I got two flats in two days! Thanks for the knowledge, now that I have new tires, I'll keep the kit in the car. :drive:

I had one of those $1000 nights last year July 4th when some A**hole decided to knife both rear tires. :evilmad:

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should have tried to warranty it under the Michelin runflat plan. They replaced the rear tire on my 2005 Copperhead for free at close to 3,000 miles.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch! Sorry to see that. Plugging tires is ok for normal driving but not recommeded at very high speeds.