94 gas smell

Biff Brown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, my 94 with 72k has a strong gas smell at the motor after driving? I’m assuming it’s the injector o rings but wanted to check on here for any other possible options…. Thanks!!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be your vapor canister purge system. Up until around 2000, they were mounted under the drivers's side headlight. A small black plastic line runs along the frame horn and jumps across behind the steering pump. It connects to a tee behind the alternator - so check for loose connectors, cracked lines, or malfunctioning purge solenoid.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Biff, Check the Schrader valve on the passenger side of the intake, about 4-5" from the black trim below the windshield. Mine began to leak there about 5-6 years ago.

OP
OP
B

Biff Brown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turns out the leak is from the manifold gasket. I’ve got a 4-rib manifold and hoping someone could tell me the socket size for removing the gas feed line coming it at the back bottom of manifold. Also any idea on how to get at it??…. Lol… Thx!!!

OP
OP
B

Biff Brown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m also assuming that we still need to use the paper gaskets or are there others? Also on the tightening sequence diagram they’re only showing 12 bolts and not 20?…