94 Radiator drain plug and flush

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seen quite a few old threads on coolant drain/fill procedures but wondered what the latest opinions are. First- maybe a dumb question but I assume the hex head radiator drain plug unscrews counterclockwise like a typical plug would but want to make sure it isn't some weird reverse thread since many radiator petcocks open by turning them clockwise. As for flushing the coolant, I'm considering 3 options. 1. having the local shop do a machine flush/fill (just hate to leave my car there and have something happen to it), 2. try to remove the engine block drain plugs and do it myself , filling and burping it the old way or 3. buying a Uview 55000 fill kit (or something similar) which works off your shop compressor and is suppose to make filling the system without air pocket issues quick and easy. Has anyone recently used one of these fill kits or any comments on them? Thanks

whatthe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From previous posts do not unscrew the radiator drain plug take off the bottom radiator hose instead less chance of breaking something. I did not remove the engine drain plugs I know you are supposed to I actually bought the plug remover so will use it next time. I think I will buy the Lisle radiator fill it seems like it will work well.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You definitely get a lot more fluid out when removing the engine drain plugs after draining from the radiator.

OP
OP
Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback- I sprayed the radiator drain plug with WD40 last night and it came out today with no problem. Think I'll try to get the block drain plugs out since I've gone this far. Talked with my local mechanic and he recommended the Airlift system so I think I'll order one and give it a try. (Still cheaper than going to a shop for a flush & fill....) I have the Lisle funnel kit which works as intended, but I still had a heck of a time trying to get all the air out of the system. I'll report back on how the replacement of the engine warning lamp sensor goes and how well the Airlift kit works. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
molgera