'94 Rt/10 with bolt on's really waking up now, 414 rwhp & 492 ftlbs...

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
\'94 Rt/10 with bolt on\'s really waking up now, 414 rwhp & 492 ftlbs...

Hi Everyone,

Just thought you might be interested in seeing what a header change alone did in addition to previous bolt on's.

The dyno information below shows run #3 on the '94 RT/10 with the following mods: smooth tubes, S&B air filters, aluminum flywheel, VEC1 engine calibrator, stock exhaust manifolds, high flow cats and side exhaust system (all Roe Racing parts).

Dyno run #4 is the same with one exception. We put on a set of Borla #17113 headers. These are the 1&5/8" primary tube headers with 3" collectors, where the 17112's are 1&1/2" primary tube and 2&1/2" collectors.

You'll notice that in the midrange, there is a great increase in power and torque. But, as the RPM increases, the larger tube headers start to fall off faster. This is the opposite of what you would see on a Gen 2 engine. It appears as though the cam that is in the Gen 1's is a far better torque cam and that the larger collectors and tubes may not be worthwhile. I'm going to put a set of #17112's on and dyno test again.

I will say one thing though. We're going to make a package out of this after the final testing is done. This car revs so fast and makes so much torque that it is an absolute blast to drive. It wasn't bad before, but now, it's like a whole other car. The thing revs like it's got a small block in it but pulls like a freight train. Individually, we sell the parts for about $3250 and we'll probably reduce the price as a package.

You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
Re: \'94 Rt/10 with bolt on\'s really waking up now, 414 rwhp & 492 ftlbs...

Sean,

Nice testing. How much h.p. will just a K&N and smooth tubes give me for a '94 RT/10?

Thanks,

Rollo

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I never dyno tested this car bone stock. When I bought it, the previous owner had installed K&N's, smooth tubes, modified the stock cat to 3" outlet and put on Ultra Flo brand 3" mufflers. On a different dyno in January, it's best pull with that setup was 387 RWHP and 451 FTLB Torque, SAE corrected.
During VEC1 calibrator development, we got to 398 RWHP and 477 FTLB Torque. Then the motor came out and got repaired at Arrow for leaking head gaskets. I was told it made 417 HP and 494 FTLBS torque on their engine dyno (don't know what they use for exhaust, PCM, etc..). When it went back in, we put in an aluminum flywheel. With less than 100 miles on the engine, we dynoed at a different dyno facility (2 weeks ago) with the new side exhaust setup and got 402 RWHP and 477 FTLBS Torque. Then we put the headers on it and ran it again yesterday at the same dyno and got the 414 RWHP and 492 FTLBS Torque. The car had about 30 more miles on it. I think the smooth tubes and filters make a little less HP on a Gen 1 engine, perhaps about 10-12 at the rear wheels.
The camshafts in the Gen 1 engines make a ton of torque. The Gen 2's cams make more horsepower, at the expense of some torque. Right now, the '94 RT/10 pulls harder and quicker than the GTS with 448 RWHP and 475 FTLBS Torque. The GTS has a stock flywheel, for now.....

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know you've done these mods one at a time and have dyno'd each time. How about putting HP/TQ increases you saw each time. As I remember it you started with a really strong GenI engine.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean...when will you start making mine? Any news on the Xenons?

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

VIP-RT/10,

Regarding your side exhaust order, we placed a purchase order with Borla on the 11th for enough components to build 3 side exhaust systems and made another order just like that on the 14th; 3" stainless pipe, 2.5" stainless pipe, 3" stainless U-bends, XR-1 race mufflers, 2.5" & 3" stainless Accuseal clamps (we already have the high flow cats in stock). From that order, we received only the 2.5" pipe and the U-bends on Thursday. I talked to our rep on Friday when the rest of the parts didn't show up and he informed me that they were out of the mufflers (I know, sounds kind of crazy) and that the rest of the parts were on the way. Supposedly, the mufflers will be available the frst week, or so, of May. Sorry for the delay. I plan to contact the people who ordered our side exhausts the beginning of this week to let them know the status.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean
Sad news, but I'll have to wait I guess. Perfection takes time. As I spoke to you, I'll be leaving at the end of May, but I DO WANT the exhaust and Xenons, please inform me on the progress. If worse goes to worst, I'll be in Italy when you get the kits in and I'll pay from there I guess.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You said the parts sell individually for about $3,250 and that a package deal may cost even less. My question is, how much would the total cost of these mods be including installation (labor, etc.). Those are great performance numbers. Thanks.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean-
Just to make sure I understand the runs correctly,
the Borla 1 5/8" primary headers only accounted for slightly less than 12hp and under 15ft./lbs over the stock headers? Or did Dyno run #3 have the Borla 1 1/2" primaries?

I woudl have thought the headers would add mroe than 12hp...
Thanks for the good, hard work though. Any chance on running the 1 5/8" primaries on a GENII car to see the increase?

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Garolittle,
I haven't put pen and paper to it yet, but would speculate about $3999.00 installed for everything. Don't hold me to that yet though

LTHL VPR,

Run #3 was with the stock '94 cast exhaust manifolds. You're correct, the headers alone made a peak difference (highest point to highest point) of about 12 HP. In the midrange, they made a far greater impact at 18 HP and 21 FT LBs torque. I would love to see other people (vendors / tuners as it is our obligation) show what the other headers alone are making on a car with similar mods / stock. I'll bet (if I was a betting man) that the difference would not be much greater on a Gen 1, peak to peak.

The next round of testing will include: dyno testing the 17112's on the RT/10 and putting the 17113's on the GTS. I expect the GTS with it's higher horsepower designed cam will see more of a gain and produce greater peak HP #'s.

Though the average improvement is what is really important, people sure do like to see the peak HP #'s come up. There's a saying in the racing business; "Torque wins races, horsepower sells motors".

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean, have you put on the other headers on the 94 yet and if so, what did you come up with? Any price on the group rate? Any #'s of what this bumps the Viper up to in the 1/4 mile?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4