'96 GTS Oil leak solved!!!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'96 GTS Oil leak solved!!!

My tech spoke with someone at Arrow Racing about my incessant oil leakage problem. The symptoms and service history were recounted for consideration. Arrow's opinion was that the leak was likely NOT from the front of the engine, but from either the rear main seal (which was replaced about 18 months ago) or from the camshaft block core plug above the crank flange. If they were dry, then the OK was given to pull and send in the engine for rebuild. My tech pulled the tranny and flywheel assembly, cleaned the rear of the block and reinstalled the flywheel. He started and ran the motor for about 3 minutes and oil started coming out the back of the block. It was the "new" main seal that was bad.

Evidently, the oil would run down to the pan rail, get in the space between the block/gasket/pan and run down slope toward the front of the motor (dripping around the pan bolts along the way) where the fan and static pressure buildup would blow it UP and around the front cover, and all over the belly of the car.

Thanks Arrow for some sharp analysis work!!!! :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'96 GTS Oil leak solved!!!

Glad to hear you found the problem Dean. I hope the fix is free since the "new" seal was bad. Maybe installed incorrectly???

Now leave that 98 alone.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'96 GTS Oil leak solved!!!

I wish I lived in America!

Thanks for the post / info / fix Dean.

Inside my flywheel / tin cover was dry, but I think I need to pull the box and run and SEE! I've done the pan gasket 6 times now and kinda getting fed up under there and mobile 1 refills competing with gas stops, besides, can't run at the track due to dangers of dripping oil when up to temp.

Having my sump pan machined to eliminate that. The rear corners / where the block meets the rear retainer has a step in it, but I always get it totally clean and dry and use additional black sealant of the correct spec on these areas.

My beloved has similar leak symptoms to yours, looks as if leaking / blowing out also from the dip-stick tube mounting into the block.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960