96 Viper GTS Venom 550 - making more mods

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been reading this thread for awhile now. It's always nice to see someone's joy.

I'm glad you've "seen the supercharger light". I'd like to suggest buying a Roe supercharger. Not for dyno numbers, but for the improvemnet you get when driving the Roe. Since you get max torque at 2,000rpm, the supercharger works when you drive the car. The Paxton starts about 3500 and then increases torque and hp. They're completely different styles of supercharging. I don't race my car - I drive it. I find that with the Roe I can pass go up the steepest hills and never need to downshift from 1300rpm in high gear @ 60mph. Couldn't do that with a Paxton. Also, the Roe kit comes with electronics, custom intake and is a complete system as compared to the Paxton that comes with dual fuel pumps and needs tons of extra if you want the bigger power. When you want big power with the Roe, just order an 8 or 10# pulley and add water/**** injection.

The Roe disadvantage is that you can't let anyone else drive your car. With the immediate torque output your car will have no traction at WOT under 60mph, or 90mph if you have runflat tires. This is my 98 with Roe 600rwhp,

You must be registered for see images

My '01 has 720rwhp, but with the Michelin Pilots it has traction after 60mph, usually. I spoke to Sean and 720rwhp seems to be equivalent to about 1000rwhp with a Paxton. Just my opinion, but the Roe gives you a much more sophisticated system for your money. It gives you a power curve that works similar to having a 1000ci. engine. If you don't want the humongous torque produced by the Roe - the Paxton is much easier to control as it'll produce stock hp under 3500hp. The owner of the 1000hp Paxton car I wanted to buy, at one time, told me that sometimes he has traction in 1st gear (I have NONE), he said that the car hooked second gear easily (I usually have low traction all through second) and third gear was all traction (I often have no traction in 3rd at lower speeds). My car has gone 10.5@139mph with stock Pilots and no Nitrous.

It all depends on what power curve you want for your driving style. I wouldn't enjoy the Paxton since I seldom drive over 3,000rpm, but I suppose I could let my kids drive the car with a Paxton, since it doesn't have the torque at idle. I only allow my kids to drive the car while I'm sitting in it.

I've had 2 Roe's now and I find this one only has a little too much power for street driving. I have a 100hp Nitrous kit on the car - I just can't imagine anywhere I could push the button, except the race track. But, if I ever get to the race track with a roll cage I'll try for a 10.1 on Pilots.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh yah, you won't find a Paxton that look nearly as good as a polished Roe system sitting between the valve covers. At a show I'd expect the Roe to bring home the trophy. The stock intake doesn't compare for looks. The extra Vec2 computer also rates extra points in a show.

How's that "for a thing of beauty?"

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or my most recent acquisition? Since you've got ported heads, which I don't, yet, you'd have close to 800rwhp with a 10# Roe. Probably over 800rwtq at 2,000rpm.

Jeez, I'll have to port and polish my heads to keep up to you next summer! Head porting is one of the many skills I have so let me know, if you go with the Paxton or the 8# Roe I won't have to do my heads, Lol.

Ted

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just finished installing the Dynamat type sound deadener in the interior. I have yet to complete the rear 'trunk' area where the subwoofer and rear speakers will be installed.

Welcome Earthlings! Step right in and I'll take you to my leader :D :eater:

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
jBud,

Looks like your project is off to a good start. Your sound system will have a fantastic sound to it.

Now do a little weight redux to blance out the extra lbs you just put into the car :D

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
jBud,

Looks like your project is off to a good start. Your sound system will have a fantastic sound to it.

Now do a little weight redux to blance out the extra lbs you just put into the car :D

I just threw out the spare tire and jack and car cover. Weight removed should equal the weight added :D At least that's my theory :dunno:

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last edited:

Daston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy crap dude that is awesome! Would love to do that sort of thing.

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Holy crap dude that is awesome! Would love to do that sort of thing.

Thanks...I am having a lot of fun working with many different VCA members who are advising me on different things and providing direction. Stay tuned as this build is ongoing.

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is the rear 'luggage/storage' area before I install the sound deadener. Notice the cavity where the spare tire should be. I will be building seperate speaker housing/enclosure that can be set into this area after the carpet has been installed.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For my stereo I upgraded the speakers with Hertz mid-subs in the stock subboxes and a door speaker system with active crossover. My '01 sounds as good as my 98 with the Polk speakers and Jensen
dvd sounded.

I've got a shift light that incorporates a digital tach on top of the steering column with water/**** and SRX LED's in the base of it. I want to add an A/F guage to finish off the guages. I like the stockers fine.

I do have to say that your car's color is my favorite, after Sapphire Blue/silver, lol.

When you come to BC you'll have to DRIVE your Viper. No fun towing it around all those corners. Unlike Alberta, when we have a long meadow, we put at least 4 turns in the road. No straights in our roads! You'll have to take the Highway 20 cruise. 300kms of 'quiet' highway, unless my Viper's on it.

Ted

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the rear 'luggage/storage' area before I install the sound deadener. Notice the cavity where the spare tire should be. I will be building seperate speaker housing/enclosure that can be set into this area after the carpet has been installed.

GTSbud,

When you took that area apart did you see the cable set up the Wizard spoke about? I didn''t see it when I did mine (its not visible, I think, in the pix of your spare tire well) and I wonder how it actually works.

The comment about the Chrysler "engineers knowing more than you about designing these cars" was a bit over the top as we all have experienced some of the very poor design trade-offs made on our cars.....if that were true, there's be no aftermarket stuff that works better, right? They're good engineers for sure, but like any complex machine their product is full of design compromises.

Notwithstanding, I'd like to understand how the cable system works. If you bump into this system during your teardown, can you take a pic and share it?

Thanks!

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For my stereo I upgraded the speakers with Hertz mid-subs in the stock subboxes and a door speaker system with active crossover. My '01 sounds as good as my 98 with the Polk speakers and Jensen
dvd sounded.

I've got a shift light that incorporates a digital tach on top of the steering column with water/**** and SRX LED's in the base of it. I want to add an A/F guage to finish off the guages. I like the stockers fine.

I do have to say that your car's color is my favorite, after Sapphire Blue/silver, lol.

When you come to BC you'll have to DRIVE your Viper. No fun towing it around all those corners. Unlike Alberta, when we have a long meadow, we put at least 4 turns in the road. No straights in our roads! You'll have to take the Highway 20 cruise. 300kms of 'quiet' highway, unless my Viper's on it.

Ted

Hey Ted, I am in the process of investigating what type of stereo system to install. I am thinking of the Pioneer AVH-P5900DVD Audio/Video head unit and Energy speakers. Not sure about the amp as of yet.

If you think Alberta has straight roads you should see Saskatchewan :D

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GTSbud,

When you took that area apart did you see the cable set up the Wizard spoke about? I didn''t see it when I did mine (its not visible, I think, in the pix of your spare tire well) and I wonder how it actually works.

The comment about the Chrysler "engineers knowing more than you about designing these cars" was a bit over the top as we all have experienced some of the very poor design trade-offs made on our cars.....if that were true, there's be no aftermarket stuff that works better, right? They're good engineers for sure, but like any complex machine their product is full of design compromises.

Notwithstanding, I'd like to understand how the cable system works. If you bump into this system during your teardown, can you take a pic and share it?

Thanks!

Hello DrumrBoy, I am definitely curious about this cable system too. I will definitely investigate how the system works and take pictures and post them.

I am installing the sound deadener within the next couple of days so should be able to take pics and upload them.

Cheers

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Ted, I am in the process of investigating what type of stereo system to install. I am thinking of the Pioneer AVH-P5900DVD Audio/Video head unit and Energy speakers. Not sure about the amp as of yet.

If you think Alberta has straight roads you should see Saskatchewan :D

I just got the 'experts' at sight and sound to do their best at a reasonable cost since they love the car. They provided the research and speakers at their cost, which helped, and I just did the instal. I put 12" subs in most of my 'other' cars, but they didn't come with factory subs - so they needed them. The Viper shakes the floor and the door panels at less than half volume so all of the sound system is upgraded with the speakers. I found no difference adding a more expensive head unit and the volume with the stock amp is a lot more than I'll ever use so I don't plan anymore changes. If you're wanting to make show car points then it's worth the extra money to change everything - and you'll beat me at a show.

With only 650 Vipers sold to canada my Viper is the only one at the car shows I've been to, except the Mission auto show I attended with the VCA. They didn't do awards as it was a charity event. When I take the Viper to a show I get 1st place.

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rear 'luggage/storage' area complete with sound deadener.

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey DrumrBoy...here's the pictures you wanted.

I've been told that the cable in the pictures below links both sides of the frame rails for safety in the event of a rear end collision. Please note I have the exhaust heat deflector plate removed and inner wheel wells.

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SPARE TIRE ISSUE

I asked JonB to comment on the Spare Tire issue. Here are his comments:

"If you have a roll bar or cage, no worry. HOWEVER

Some history: When Vipers were first crash-tested by Fed mandate, it was discovered that the RT/10 TRUNK LID can dislodge in a rear crash. If the spare is not in the trunk, the trunk lid can intrude into the cockpit thru the rear window. The rear sport hoop acts as a blade-guide and the trunklid edge becomes a guillotene. The INFLATED Spare Tire, if BOLTED IN, becomes a great shock-absorber and rear tub stiffener and prevents the decklid from moving forward and therefore prevents head loss.

Team Viper members attending the FIRST EVER VIPER NATIONALS DRAG RACES in TX in 1995 pointed this out to the the TECH INSPECTOR there, and spares have been madated in RT/10s ever since. I am fairly certain that tech inspector was the same guy who informed SKIP THOMAS at VIPER DAYS. That tech inspector was me. At the fisrt VOI-sanctioned drags {VOI-4 Orlando} we required Spares in RT10s only.

If you have a ROLL BAR in the car, this prevents the trunk intrusion, so the spare was less important, but still a functional rear-crash safety device preventing more serious frame collapse. So VRL maintained the requirement in non-roll-cage cars, even tho federal REAR CRASH DATA on GTSs was not as forboding results as RT/10.

I think the SRT Spare tie-down is to prevent its mounting-point ejection, not to make it a structural component; But if it stays in place it certainly helps absorb impact. SRT10 frames are carry-over to 2008, and there is NO SPARE in the 08. I am curious about any crash-test results and steps taken for 08. "

Additional question to JonB:

My GTS does not have a roll bar and I do not intend on tracking the car. Having said that, is the spare tire a government requirement and/or insurance requirement for safety reasons?

JonB response:

"ABSOLUTLEY NOT. Racing venue sanctioning body requirements only. But anyone can sue you for any reason, or for no reason, if they get hurt in your car.

I just spoke to my friend SKIP SHIFTY over at DOT and he says "WE ARE THE FEDS and WE'RE HERE TO HELP YOU......BUT WE HAVE NOT MANDATED THAT REQUIREMENT"

For more Skip Shifty Antics, Search SKIP SHIFTY"

So the consensus is that the spare tire is NOT PART OF THE BODY/FRAME/CHASSIS design.

DSG2003SVT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure to let us know how much of a difference all the sound deadener makes. How much weight do you think that it has added?

Also, have you considered the CPE twin turbo kit? His high power kit starts at $9999, and I'm pretty sure that you would like to do it yourself, so that would just leave the costs of tuning. It looks like a very nice kit from what I've seen so far!

Here's a link to the 99 ACR that this was just recently installed on with track times, power numbers, and boost info.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/606100-cpe-sidemount-t-04-twin-turbo.html

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sound Deadener Weight Issue

Here is the scoop on the sound deadener that I installed into my GTS.

Quantity = 125 sq.ft.

Weight = 20 lbs / 50 sq.ft.

Total Weight Added = 50 lbs

(minus) OEM sound deadener - removed from car

(minus) spare tire and tools - removed from car

**Note that I have not calculated the weight I removed from the car when I took out he original sound deadener and the spare tire with tools...so the total weight added to my GTS is negligible. :headbang:

DSG2003SVT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure that the spare and tools weighs right at 30lbs. It was 27lbs. in my 03 Cobra. 50lbs. isn't as much as I was thinking for all the sound deadener that you put down, I'm sure the noise difference is going to be very noticeable.

You're project has been one of the best one's that I've ever followed. Always updating with pics and new info, responding to everyone's questions. Good stuff!

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sure that the spare and tools weighs right at 30lbs. It was 27lbs. in my 03 Cobra. 50lbs. isn't as much as I was thinking for all the sound deadener that you put down, I'm sure the noise difference is going to be very noticeable.

You're project has been one of the best one's that I've ever followed. Always updating with pics and new info, responding to everyone's questions. Good stuff!

I really enjoy providing information to anyone if I can help. This project is a learning curve and I thoroughly enjoy discussing the project with members. I am learning alot!

I honestly didn't give the CPE twin turbo much thought. :dunno: I just sent a PM to Paolo and hope to hear back from him. Looks like he puts a wicked TT package together.

Cheers
Jason

B

BurntRubber

Jason - you are my hero also! This is sick. I just went through the whole thread and am down right amazed at what you are doing. And your car only has 1800 miles, your a nut case! keep them pics and updates coming. :2tu:

OP
OP
G

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jason - you are my hero also! This is sick. I just went through the whole thread and am down right amazed at what you are doing. And your car only has 1800 miles, your a nut case! keep them pics and updates coming. :2tu:

Cool! Another fan :D I sure wish I lived a little closer to the US members. I would really enjoy members coming over to watch, tell jokes and/or tinker. I look forward to meeting many of you once I am done this project and I travel South. :headbang:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

My car is very loud and I found a HUGE difference with the Dynamat. Did you put some in the doors as well? I didn't see it in the pix but maybe I missed it; they resonate well (unfortunately) and really respond to some Dynamat treatment.

I just dieted a bunch to offset the additioinal weight.....

Go man go!
:2tu:

Bob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery