96 White/Blue GTS

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were there (3) 1996 White GTS's made? If so, does anyone here have one? It seems if they exist, they would be rare and worth some serious money. I looked at the registry and perhaps they were solid white instead of w/b. Curious as to why I have never heard anyone mention one.

Last edited:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were there (3) 1996 White GTS's made? If so, does anyone here have one? It seems if they exist, they would be rare and worth some serious money. I looked at the registry and perhaps they were solid white instead of w/b. Curious as to why I have never heard anyone mention one.

There were 3 white / blue striped GTS cars made in 1996. They were not a planned production run and are indeed special cars. This was taken in Traverse City two weeks ago. It belongs to a MCVO member and original Team Viper engineer.

Steve

IMG_3620.JPG

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were 3 white / blue striped GTS cars made in 1996. They were not a planned production run and are indeed special cars. This was taken in Traverse City two weeks ago. It belongs to a MCVO member and original Team Viper engineer.

Steve

IMG_3620.JPG

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder what someone would take for a car like that???

GuitarSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Such a beautiful car. Is it just me, or is the blue used on the 100 GT-2 cars different than your standard Viper Blue? I looked at some pictures and they do look different.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder what someone would take for a car like that???

I'm guessing this car is not for sale......maybe ever. The guy who owns it is the original owner and the instigator for the 3 cars being made. ........another Viper Lore & Legend story ;). The other two were built for Chrysler honchos.......Tom Gale and Francois Castaing. I think I heard Jon B. may have bartered for a set of the white wheels they came with....so one of the cars doesn't have the white wheels they were produced with. I don't know if those guys still have the cars.

Steve

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spent some time with Sandy Emerling (sp?). Worked with Team Viper, in charge of interior design plus some other special projects.

Fantastic guy, and rabid Viper fan. He got one of the three. These were special project cars, and internally appproved to evaluate this color.

Fantastic looking car in person. Took a moment to realize you were looking at something special.

If one of these ever comes up for sale, it will probably go into a museum.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spent some time with Sandy Emerling (sp?). Worked with Team Viper, in charge of interior design plus some other special projects.

Fantastic guy, and rabid Viper fan. He got one of the three. These were special project cars, and internally appproved to evaluate this color.

Fantastic looking car in person. Took a moment to realize you were looking at something special.

If one of these ever comes up for sale, it will probably go into a museum.

As I am told, Sandy is the reason these cars came into existence. It was his idea. It started with him wanting / suggesting one be made for 'color adherence evaluation' and went from there. It was quite a clandestine project in the beginning. That's how the other two guys got involved. One by one, they caught wind of it and called Sandy in for a little talk. Gale and Castaing were the internal approval. They let it through with the stipulation they get one too. Roy S. didn't even know in the beginning what Sandy was up to.

I don't know about the interior design, but I think he had some and/or all control over the exterior body panels. That's how he was able to start the ball rolling on this color scheme.

Steve

...spelling is correct

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was one on ebay in early '06...it had 8 miles on it and was stored in a climate controlled garage. Looked like the guy was a serious car guy as he had several other exotics in his garage. I think I saved the pics from that auction. If I find them I'll post them.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautifil color combo. :2tu:

This is the first I have ever heard of these cars. I am sure with only 3 made you will pay a premium if you can even find one.

The new coupes in this color combo look awesome too.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm guessing this car is not for sale......maybe ever. The guy who owns it is the original owner and the instigator for the 3 cars being made. ........another Viper Lore & Legend story ;). The other two were built for Chrysler honchos.......Tom Gale and Francois Castaing. I think I heard Jon B. may have bartered for a set of the white wheels they came with....so one of the cars doesn't have the white wheels they were produced with. I don't know if those guys still have the cars.
Steve

All the facts that trickled in are correct (RARE on this board!)
Sandy Emerling was the instigator, and when Francois and Tom heard about it their clout w/ Roy got it done. Two of these guys are PartsRack customers, and still have their cars.
I think TOMs may have been up for sale, but maybe NOT now that he's w/ Cerberus (?)

Sandy E. indeed wanted the polished wheels, and I wanted the white....so CAAP traded em for us before delivery of mine. Sandy LATER got a set of white wheels off a 96 RT10! Sandy had his white GTS before I had mine....but mine was the 1st retail GTS released to a customer. Sandy and his bride had theirs at VOI-Vegas and were married there....

CAAP almost made an ALL WHITE one for Jay Leno. I have a photo of Jay and a white GTS model somewhere, taken at CAAP......

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the facts that trickled in are correct (RARE on this board!)
Sandy Emerling was the instigator, and when Francois and Tom heard about it their clout w/ Roy got it done. Two of these guys are PartsRack customers, and still have their cars.
I think TOMs may have been up for sale, but maybe NOT now that he's w/ Cerberus (?)

Sandy E. indeed wanted the polished wheels, and I wanted the white....so CAAP traded em for us before delivery of mine. Sandy LATER got a set of white wheels off a 96 RT10! Sandy had his white GTS before I had mine....but mine was the 1st retail GTS released to a customer. Sandy and his bride had theirs at VOI-Vegas and were married there....

CAAP almost made an ALL WHITE one for Jay Leno. I have a photo of Jay and a white GTS model somewhere, taken at CAAP......

My source was Sandy. Over the years, he and several others of the original Team Viper (including Roy) have relayed this, and many other interesting stories of how the car came to fruition. Most of these stories never made to the hardback car books. At the time, it was a little risky for these guys to volunteer / be recruited to be on a concept car team that may or may not have come to reality. The risk being that the job they had before wouldn't necessarily be waitng for them if the project was mothballed. Many of these guys had young families at the time.

Jon.....I'm sure you know many of these same behind the scene stories .....and others ........that never made it to print. I knew you had a set of white wheels, but didn't know they came from Sandy's car.

Steve

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it was due to the fact that it was almost impossible to do and in the end it was too expensive to keep doing it. Too much time and not worth the effort.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second that! I thought it was due to the painting expense.

I thought it was due to the fact that it was almost impossible to do and in the end it was too expensive to keep doing it. Too much time and not worth the effort.

As I understand it -- both statements are correct. The Team Viper guys had to give way due to painting expense concerns -- even though it was under a hard money contract to a sub. The company doing the painting complained about the difficulty and increased unit time (even though under contract) to paint this area. According to Sandy, the Team wanted the stripes to continue on through the plate area. They were over ruled, basically allowing the painting company off the hook. Now, whether the contract was yearly and had to be re-negotiated for 97........I don't know that. Didn't think to ask.

Steve

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ASC in Detroit did the painting and during a tour I was told that not only was it because of cost (labor intensive and a mistake prone process) but it was also the chosen way to differentiate 1996 GTS's from 1997.

I'm sure Job knows more.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte