'99 ACR vs. '01 ACR - Cams, lying dynos, Corsa

JBenko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'99 ACR vs. \'01 ACR - Cams, lying dynos, Corsa

A few weeks ago my buddy Smas posted that he and I ran our ACRs against each other and the '99 was a little quicker, maybe a car length and a half, from 30mph - 120mph than the '01. Both cars were absolutely bone stock.

Being curious as we were about this we had both cars dyno'ed and we were suprised when the '99 pulled 393 hp (corrected) and the '01 pulled 406 hp. The '99 pulled 446 ft/lbs and the '02 pulled 444. Both cars had very similar shaped curves on the graphs, and relatively the same amplitude of noise in the plots.

I know at this point you are thinking driver differences but these were multiple runs, from a rolling start, and I can assure you we are both very competative with each other.

I showed the dyno slips to John Archer last week and his first question was did we check the tire pressure before the pulls. I answered no, but that they were probably pretty close to each other. He then asked if we measured to see that the cars were on the dyno at the same EXACT spot when they ran (side to side, front to back). Again, no, not exactly. John said that he has seen dyno's show as much as 25 hp difference depending on tire pressure and where on the dyno the run was made. This would seem to explain how the '99 could pull ahead of the '01.

Just for fun I was on the Mopar site and saw that the '97, '98, and '99 cars all show the same part number for the cam (4763-708). The '00 and later all show a different part number (5037-151AA). According to my manual, and some research on this site the difference is that the earlier cam has 66deg of overlap and the later cam has 60deg. "Cream-Puffs", no. Different, yes.

Last note in this long post - I added a Corsa cat back exhaust, and pulled the cats on the '99 car last week. We ran the cars again today and the '99 pulls another car length or so on the '01. Seems to have made a reasonably decent improvement.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'99 ACR vs. \'01 ACR - Cams, lying dynos, Corsa

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I added a Corsa cat back exhaust, and pulled the cats
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh no! No Cats?!
eek.gif
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When you pulled the cats what did you put in their place for resonance? I have the flowtech's but was thinking of trying some other type.

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score

anyone know the optimun tire pressure to dyno with? 25 more hp because of tire pressure is a nice "no cost" modification to a viper.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry but the Dyno operator is telling you lies power difference due to tire pressure is not significant. Just make sure that the pressure is the same in both tires.

The only thing that can really effect your power besides tweaking the engine is by placing the car crooked on the rollers or dynoing in the wrong gear.

OP
OP
J

JBenko

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Russ,

I'm proposing to say that I know how accurate a dyno is in relationship to tire pressure and/or positioning of the car, but there is definitely something up when the car that shows 13 hp less on the dyno can consistently pull 2 car lengths on the car that shows more power.

My first thought was that there could be something to the total area under the curve, ie. if the higher hp car showed a narrow peak. This just wasn't the case as both cars showed similarly shaped curves.

As for tire pressure, my gut says that it shouldn't make a difference unless the wheels were slipping. If this were the case I would have thought to have found more "noise" in the curve as the tires gain and lose traction. Again, this wasn't the case.

So, who knows. I'm open to ideas. Is there anyone else out there who knows of an example of where the dyno and the striaght line acceleration show a conflict ?

Jim

**When I had the Corsa put in they cut the leading cone edge of the cat at a point that 3" dia and then welded a test pipe in to link up to the front of the Corsa system. Sound is pretty close to what you hear on the Corsa web site. Resonance is not an issue on the highway (&lt;2k RPM), but is loud under acceleration. "Sonic enhancement" is marginal, more volume, not as nice a sound as my '96 RT with Belanger headers and Borla cat back. Headers give a great burbling sound

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The dyno only knows 2 things... RPM of the engine and acceleration of the drum. Everything else is derived from this. Lower air pressure might give more drag and slightly higher power loss but I'd have a hard time believing that. I've found dynos to be pretty accurate. Engine heat makes a big difference but not much else does.

Lots of people think that playing with tire pressure will change the "effective gearing" of the vehicle, but since it doesn't know anything about gears anyways, it won't matter. I would be real curious to hear an explanation from someone who claims tire pressure makes a difference as to why it would make a difference. Unless the tires slip, I don't see how it could. DynoJet says that it doesn't make a difference. If someone wants to refute their statements on this, I'd love to hear an explanation as to why
smile.gif

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score

"the earlier cam has 66deg of overlap and the later cam has 60deg"

I really don't understand cam degreeing (is that a word) What does 66 vs 60 of overlap do? Why did they change it, did we loose power with 60 degrees of overlap?

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score

is your buddy a little heavier than you?

i know one of the math wizards can figure this one out exactly, but i'm sure a car length and a half at 120 is probably hundreths of a second.. an extra 30 or 40 pounds of weight in the cars could make the difference..

besides that, surely you both couldnt possibly hit the gas at the same exact time down to the hundreth of a second.. its nearly impossible.. the 99 probably got the jump by a few tenths and even though it has marginally less power it was able to eek ahead up to 120..

then, theres shifting.. i'm sure you both couldnt have possibly shifted at the same speed down to the hundreth of a second.. blah blah blah...

you get the point.. you're thinking about this way too much.. there are too many variables..
smile.gif

- eddie -

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBenko:
Being curious as we were about this we had both cars dyno'ed and we were suprised when the '99 pulled 393 hp (corrected) and the '01 pulled 406 hp. The '99 pulled 446 ft/lbs and the '02 pulled 444. Both cars had very similar shaped curves on the graphs, and relatively the same amplitude of noise in the plots.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Jim...Where did you guys dyno at??? Have you checked the throttle linkage for WOT? Does either car have huge viper floor mats?

Sounds like you may have an urge for some straight line racing???

If you get bored following Borell around Brainard next summer...<FONT size="1">(the rumor John is spreading!)</FONT s>...you might want to make a Saturday trip with a few of us over to Rock Falls for some good old fashion white trash racing...bring your own beer! And none of that fancy import crap...
supergrin.gif

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I still believe it's driver therefore change drivers next time out.

OP
OP
J

JBenko

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gerald,

We took the cars to S&S in Crystal. As for a trip to Rock Falls when it warms up, I'd be in. As for "following" Johnny B at Brainard, only when I'm lapping him...
smile.gif

**I weigh about 30 lbs more than Smas.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBenko:
We took the cars to S&S in Crystal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's where I dyno'd my RT earlier in the summer...they have a very low 7 sec vette that has maxed out that dyno, max being 1200 hp...insane.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Monnieh, to answer your question about the cam overlap, yes we did lose a little power when they changed the cam overlap, but they made it up by installing the factory shorty headers instead of the original cast iron exhausts. Net result is the same basic HP, but since the engine was made more efficient to get it, there are fewer easy HP to find via an exhaust upgrade since the exhaust was already partially upgraded at the factory.

The term overlap relates to how long the intake and exhaust valves are both open at the same time. Overlapping the opening of one valve with the closing of the other gives an effect known as 'scavenging' which allows the incoming air charge to help purge the old exhaust charge out of the cylinder. This contributes to the lumpy quality of the earlier cams as well as allows more unburned gas to make it out the exhaust port and I am sure the change was made to meet tigher emission restrictions.

Degreeing a cam is different in that it relates to aligning the overall cam rotational position to the crank rotational position.

--- Ken

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ken, the cam change and the header change took place in different years. The manifolds were changed from cast iron to stainless steel tubing beginning in 1998. The cam was changed beginning in 2000. There were a number of other engine changes beginning in 2000 - most were driven by the desire to minimize NGR (neutral gear rattle). Of particular significance to the cam change was a change to a bleed down lifter to help smooth out the engine idle...

Henry

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Henry,

Thanks for the clarification. There appears to be a conflict of info floating around though. According to Allpar for the '98 Viper changes, they make the following statement:
----
Tubular stainless steel exhaust manifolds replace cast iron components, saving 24 lbs. A new reduced overlap camshaft results in a smoother engine idle and allows an increased spark advance at idle without compromising emissions.

The Viper has new, lighter exhaust manifolds that heat up faster, allowing for quicker light-off of the catalyst. This allows the engine to burn cleaner earlier in the cycle.
----
This info may be incorrect, but is what I was basing my comments on. Perhaps the cam changed in '98 and the lifters in 2000? since it appears to be the lifter change which decreases duration of the cam at low RPM which smooths out the idle perhaps more than the change in valve overlap.

--- Ken

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenH:
This info may be incorrect, but is what I was basing my comments on. Perhaps the cam changed in '98 and the lifters in 2000? since it appears to be the lifter change which decreases duration of the cam at low RPM which smooths out the idle perhaps more than the change in valve overlap.

--- Ken

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ken -

The major cam change was in 2000 along with the defective lifters. The lifters indeed knock duration out of the cam at low rpm to remedy NGR and provide new OBD systems with better misfire detection. Without getting into the particulars, the 2000 cam is a smaller cam from prior years; the exhaust is not much different but the intake is smaller.

Regards,
Doug

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Back to tire pressure:

When we run emissions tests (with cats...), we pump up the tire pressure because of the small diameter rolls we have. If not done, the sidewall heats up and cheaper tires throw chunks of rubber. Given that experience, and also that a few pounds of air in the tire translate to a few miles per gallon... and that road loads are somewhere in the 15-25 hp range, I'd guess that the difference between a (too) low and (reasonably) high tire pressure would be a few horsepower of energy loss into the tires (showing up as heat.)

Can't say if it explains 393 vs 406 hp, but part of it. The dyno only sees what rate the drum accelerates at, doesn't know what power "didn't" get to accelerate the drum. And certainly if the rolling diameter side to side is different, due to pressure or anything else, the internal friction of the differential comes in.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have seen 25hp+ diferences between the same year and milage c5. the factory is not a precise as you want to believe

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score

do you both have the exact same gear ratios in the tranny and rear end?

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Doesn't torque determine acceleration more than hp. I see the cars are pretty equal there. I would also think it probably has to do with WOT or total weight of car and driver.

OP
OP
J

JBenko

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Both cars have the stock read end, and we did run them side by side from 50 on up (however we started in 3rd). The '99 pulled ahead slightly in 3rd, and then slightly again in 4th. I am pretty convinced that the dyno runs must be either sensitive to car placement on the drums, or for whatever reason, to tire wear and pressure.