998 recall

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 96 B/W I am looking at appears to not have had the work done on the 998 recall on steering and differential frame. I am concerned that it may be a problem getting it done right after all the posts I have read. Should I pass on this Viper and look for another one in light of all of this?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could have the recall done by a reputable dealer. Some say, unless you plan to track the car (road coarse), the 998 recall is not necessary.

I would get it done though.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Actually, you are in better shape today than ever.... you know the pitfalls of a "reverse weld".... so you can make sure you let 'em know how it's done!

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the correct procedure for this recall? Also, is there a way to see if it was done correctly by just looking under the car?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are two tid-bits to pay attention to from what I've learned here....the first is that the recall procedure involved both welding and riveting. If you see nothing but welding, it was done wrong. The second is that if the reinforcements in the front are installed upside down, one of them effectively prevents the oil filter from being removed (I think it was the oil-filter anyway, but if I'm wrong, it's some "interval-replacement" component).

Here's a long, but worthwhile read on the whole subject that I found when I was researching this. Good for any Viper owner to know.....

In May of 2002, Henry Cone (renowned Viper racer, Regional officer, and ENGINEER) posted:

"Guys, I'll try to shed more light on this recall. I now have a copy of 998 and have reviewed it in detail. There are several suggestions that I can offer from this.
1. Don't panic!! And don't get in too big a hurry to get this done - be sure that you have inspected your car so that you know what you are getting in to.

2. Recall 998 is for all 96 to 99 cars up to a build date of March 1, 1999 - these cars require inspection of both the steering rack mount welds as well as the left side differential mounts. Recall 999 covers 1999 and 2000 cars and only requires inspection of ths steering rack mount - there was apparently a running change to the rear frame differential mounts.

3. THIS IS IMPORTANT - Most cars (I would guess 98+ %) will not have any cracks and will require only the addition of the steering rack mount reinforcement pieces (both 998 and 999) and the differential mount reinforcement pieces (recall 998 only). Cars most likely to have cracks are ones run at the track on Hoosiers or slicks, dragged with slicks or other high traction drag tires. or that have been damaged in an accident. We have numerous Viper Days events on both of our cars with me in the gravel traps on several occasions and Janni having hit a wall hard enough to break the steering rack assembly but neither of our cars show any cracks. How do I know?? We inspect them after each and every track event.

4. For the front (recalls 998 and 999), if inspection does not reveal any cracks then all that is required is the additional of several frame reinforcement pieces. One of them does require welding and there are very specific instructions in the recall as to how this is to be done. The other 2 pieces involve grinding off some existing gussets and replacing them with larger ones that are riveted in place with numerous structural steel rivets. Except for the welding this reinforcement is relatively straight forward as it does not require any dissasembly, etc. NO ALIGNMENT WORK IS REQUIRED UNLESS CRACKS ARE FOUND!! So the only difficultly is applying the recalls to most cars is the welding.

5. For the rear (recall 998 only) the directions require that the differential be removed to do the inspection. If no weld cracks are found several frame reinforcements are added . The one on the right side is relatively straight forward. The one on the left side is more complicated but neither requires welding. Both of these reinforcements are riveted in place with numerous structural steel rivets. AGAIN NO ALIGNMENT WORK IS REQUIRED UNLESS CRACKS ARE FOUND!!!

6. The labor time shown for the front is 2.6 hours to inspect the steering rack mount and add the reinforcements if no weld cracks are found. This seems very reasonable.

7. The labor time shown for the rear is 2.7 hours to remove the differential, inspect the mounts for cracks, install the reimforcement pieces, and reinstall the differential if no weld cracks are found. This seems to be pushing it a bit but is not too far off - the actual time may vary depending upon the exhaust system on the car as this will have to be partially removed to remove the differential.

8. THE ABOVE SHOULD BE ALL THAT IS REQUIRED FOR THE VAST MAJORITY OF CARS!!! My suggestion is to inspect your car for weld cracks yourself and / or make sure that they are absolutely present before authorizing anything other than adding the reinforcements. DON"T ASSUME THAT YOU HAVE CRACKS AND WANT THE MORE DRASTIC REPAIRS MADE!!! The reason that I say this is that if cracks are present the recall repair procedure is involved enough that it will require a very good and careful tech to get you car back to being right. And complete alignments will required for each end of the car that requires the full recall repair procedure. My fear is that an incorrectly done full recall could leave a car worse off than before the work was done!!!

9. If steering rack mount cracks are found in the front, the repair procedure requires the complete replacement of the steering rack mount with a new one. This is very involved and getting the new one welded in place in exactly the right position is going to be difficult and tedious. After a new rack mount is installed the reinforcements are added. Then several hours of front end alignment work are required. 2.0 hours of labor is allowed for changing the mount with some portion of 3.4 hours af total alignment time allowed used for the front end alignment. My view is that you don't want to have to have this done unless it is absolutely necessary.

10. If differential mount cracks are found at the rear things get really involved. Because of the welding required it is necesary to removed the fuel tank from the car. Several reinforcement pieces are welded in place to reinforce the rear frame about the differential. The welding required is involved and extencive. The total time for the rear differential mount repair (including removing the fuel tank) ranges from between 6.5 and 7.6 hours depending upon the car (coupe or roadster) and how bad the cracking is. Again some portion of 3.4 hours of alignment is also required to get the rear suspension aligned correctly. Again my view is that you don't want to have this done unless it is absolutely necessary.

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say it is worth more. You can make sure it gets done right the first time. I think Tom Sessions is down that way.

I agree, I also have a b/w with the recall pending.

DanAuito

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a new ower of a 98 RT/10 with 10,000 miles I have never heard about this! I guess I should put the car up on the rack and take a good look. As an occasional driver and no track time being in the future, just how critical is this and does Dodge do the repairs at no charge being this is a factory recall/defect? OHY!

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have contact information for Tom Sessions or where he is located?
I have been told he is the man on the 998 recall in the southeast.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a new ower of a 98 RT/10 with 10,000 miles I have never heard about this! I guess I should put the car up on the rack and take a good look. As an occasional driver and no track time being in the future, just how critical is this and does Dodge do the repairs at no charge being this is a factory recall/defect? OHY!

I dont track mine either, but i did go ahead and get th recall done. yes, it is done free of charge since it is a dodge recall. you may have to call several dealerships before u find one who has someone certified to do it. the dealership that did mine actually had to sublet the repair out to a welding shop down the street

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best way to get me is at 910-228-8477.This is my cell.I am not always at the dealership so this way I am sure to get the message.

chaserv10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: 998 recall on my gts

My 99 gts needs the 998 and 999 frame recalls done. I live in Columbus and can't find a dealer in Columbus that wants to attempt it. I also think I cracked the rear dif frame mount on a 1-2 shift a few weeks ago. This was before I even knew about the recalls. I'm going to jack my car up and look tonight. Any advice on where to look and where is the nearest dealer that has good viper techs. Thanks Guys. My car was always serviced at the dodge dealer by the previous owner and I'm guessing they didn't even want to attempt it. My VIN is 1B3ER69E6XV502684

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, I will have to inspect my Viper when I get home in July. :(

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure before I bought my car I was told by either the owner or giving Tator my VIN# and having him look up my car's history that all 3 Recalls were already done. At least, I believe there were 3 total. I'll have to give him a call sometime to double check..

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
chaserv10...it looks like you are in Columbus, OH. If you cannot find an experienced Dodge dealership who is willing and capable of doing your recall CORRECTLY, you might let me know. It is possible that we could arrange for Tom Sessions to do it for you on his next trip to Indy for another IN/KY VCA Special Service Session at Champion C-J-D-R. Obviously, this requires some planning in order to have the proper Recall parts kit available. Tom completed a 999 Recall on a 2000 ACR here in November, and will be doing a 998 Recall on a 1996 RT/10 on his next visit. He has the correct, Dodge approved welding equipment for the job...something that most dealerships seemed to have "shunned" at the time most of these Recalls were done in the 2002-2003 era.

At present, we are in the initial stages of planning Session #3....which MIGHT take place late in May. Watch the IN/KY section for details...or call me if you want to know more.

Interestingly, when I ran your VIN on the Dodge self-serve site, it did show that BOTH the 998 and 999 Recalls as "INCOMPLETE"...which is odd (to me, at least) as 1999 Vipers generally required only the 999 (steering rack reinforcement) ...also odd that they listed both since the 998 Recall does include BOTH the Steering rack AND the differential reinforcements. The ****** will be if you have indeed cracked something inthe diff area...which is a bigger job.

By the way...here are your results from Dodge:

Here are your results VIN Number:
1B3ER69E6 XV502684Vehicle Description:
DODGE VIPER GTS TWO-DR COUPE Model Year:
Recall and Customer Satisfaction Notification Information:
Click on description to view document

DescriptionTypeIssue DateStatusSTEERING AND DIFFERENTIAL FRAME REPAIR
SAFETY
05/16/2002
INCOMPLETE

DISCLAIMER
Recall Notification letters issued prior to 1999 are not available online. Please visit your authorized Chrysler Group dealership for completion of the recall.
NOTE:
Results returned represent unperformed or incomplete Recalls and Customer Satisfaction Notifications from information available at the time of your inquiry.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked with Tator. He found that mine had it completed and was able to confirm with a couple of pictures.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I remember reading this threat 5 years ago, I had the 999 recall done on my 2000, as I remember the dealer did quite a bit of reinforcing to the steering rack.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're not sure if your car had the recall done just look underneath and/or the rear frame behind the wheel. You would be able to spot two flat plates welded to the frame. If you do a search you can find pictures of what exactly it looks like.

chaserv10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well put my car up on jack stands and I found no cracks anywhere. Still just trying to find a dealer in Ohio who has done a few. Thanks for all the help. I may take up the offer on the repair in Indy. Is there a date that he is coming in town?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
No date as yet. I wouldn't look too hard for a dealer "who has done a few" since there have been brackets installed improperly, partial repairs, frames burned through, components fried, in the past by inexperienced techs.

The Ohio VCA should have some advice for you on the matter.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the repairs I've seen are not pretty! Most dealers don't have a qualified welder. Like they said, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If a Viper buyer , say 10 yrs from now saw a repair in critical areas, he'd run!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Actually, the welds on all Viper frames are far from "pretty"...nature of the original assembly technique. MIG, TIG both "prettier"...but the wire core weld is what Dodge specifies for this repair.

We've had the 998 Recall done on our 1996 & 1997...and Recall 999 on our 1999...all of which were very well done. The key is a Tech with experience. Our Tech completed dozens and dozens of said recalls.

V

Venomiss

Re: 998 recall on my gts

My 99 gts needs the 998 and 999 frame recalls done. I live in Columbus and can't find a dealer in Columbus that wants to attempt it. I also think I cracked the rear dif frame mount on a 1-2 shift a few weeks ago. This was before I even knew about the recalls. I'm going to jack my car up and look tonight. Any advice on where to look and where is the nearest dealer that has good viper techs. Thanks Guys. My car was always serviced at the dodge dealer by the previous owner and I'm guessing they didn't even want to attempt it. My VIN is 1B3ER69E6XV502684
Ohip VCA website
Mission

Find some officers from the VCA Ohio region and ask for a reference who they have used already from Ohio.

Found this for you too that also mentions the officers who you might want to contact for information.
Adventure Chrysler Jeep Dodge | Viper Club of America Ohio Region

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the welds on all Viper frames are far from "pretty"...nature of the original assembly technique. MIG, TIG both "prettier"...but the wire core weld is what Dodge specifies for this repair.

We've had the 998 Recall done on our 1996 & 1997...and Recall 999 on our 1999...all of which were very well done. The key is a Tech with experience. Our Tech completed dozens and dozens of said recalls.

The simple fact is that Viper frames are welded with a flux core wire. They can and should be just as pretty as any other weld. Poor welding workmanship is the only reason they look the way they do. Pretty sad for such an expensive vehicle.