9L Extreme stroker vs supercharged vs turboed

drasch21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Considering taking my car to the next level(2008 viper).

It seems the setup all have their advantages/cons - heres where my thoughts are going, ideally id love to find someone whos experienced all of them.

Stroker kit - less complicated/less stuff to manage, "reasonable cost", no motec required, good numbers, limited "power".

supercharged - less stuff to manage in comparsion to a turbo build, requires motec, potential of crank snout snapping, "budget" forced induction route", less power potential compared to TT setups

Turboed - high budget, requires motec, high potential, most stuff to manage

I have no idea how the drivability varies between these - id imagine the stroker is the most practical? Anyone have feedback?

BadAzp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supercharged (paxton or procharger) doesn't require motec
Unleashedtuning.com has sct/ hp tuners for it.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supercharged (paxton or procharger) doesn't require motec
Unleashedtuning.com has sct/ hp tuners for it.
SCT isn't an option for a Gen 4, unless something has changed.

While you can use HPTuners, I wouldn't recommend it at all for a supercharger. It can be made to work for a heads/cam car, but even then it has some pretty serious limitations depending on how wild you get with the cam.

I've been using HPTuners for many years - it is a fine product, but the farther you get from a bolt-on car, the more compromises you'll have to make to keep the PCM happy (and by happy, I mean not going into limp mode every 5 seconds).

OP
OP
drasch21

drasch21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if i were to go boosted, motec would be included - not trying to lay down 1k hp on the street without some form of traction control.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you track your car for HPDE, or Time Trials, you absolutely need to stay NA with a proven, reliable package. If you are doing 1/2 mile, or roll-on type stuff, then boosted is the way to go.

A guy I know and ran with several times at COTA has a Calvo 1200 ACR-E built for 1/2 mile. His lap times were only marginally faster than my nearly stock-engined Gen2 with major suspension and modest brake mods. I saw him a month ago at COTA running a Cayman GT4RS and asked what the deal was. Said the Viper was just too expensive to run like that. The Porsche - just get in and drive. He was running just a bit behind me in the same run group.

Attachments

• Edge Addicts 060323 COTA T8 12x9.jpg
    Edge Addicts 060323 COTA T8 12x9.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
drasch21

drasch21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your using traction control then the 1k hp isn't getting down to the street.
Right foot modulation is the control you need, not a nanny app

i mostly agree with this, but eletronics can help when shit hits the fan at those power levels.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would argue that a computer hooked up to the appropriate sensors can react far faster than any human, but to each their own.

To @drasch21, I'm not sure if you follow Cable Rosenberg on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/9literviper/), but it might be worth clicking through a few of his posts, especially the recent ones. Looks like he just put a hole in the block of his 9L. There were quite a few comments...buried in there was this one from Calvo:

This was deff a parts failure and we have been seeing this more and more with qc issues with these part companies.

Just something to be aware of...nothing is guaranteed anymore.

BadAzp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would argue that a computer hooked up to the appropriate sensors can react far faster than any human, but to each their own.
Absolutely, so lets just have the car drive itself completely, that way your always "safe".

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you track your car for HPDE, or Time Trials, you absolutely need to stay NA with a proven, reliable package. If you are doing 1/2 mile, or roll-on type stuff, then boosted is the way to go.

A guy I know and ran with several times at COTA has a Calvo 1200 ACR-E built for 1/2 mile. His lap times were only marginally faster than my nearly stock-engined Gen2 with major suspension and modest brake mods. I saw him a month ago at COTA running a Cayman GT4RS and asked what the deal was. Said the Viper was just too expensive to run like that. The Porsche - just get in and drive. He was running just a bit behind me in the same run group.

This is definitely true.

Your answer regarding the right build depends a lot on what you want to do with your Viper.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To @drasch21, I'm not sure if you follow Cable Rosenberg on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/9literviper/), but it might be worth clicking through a few of his posts, especially the recent ones. Looks like he just put a hole in the block of his 9L. There were quite a few comments...buried in there was this one from Calvo:

Just to touch on what Steve already said. Parts made before the Covid Hoax were much better quality. Coming from my engine builder, he is thinking of shutting down his shop altogether because of the shit quality and lack of support

OP
OP
drasch21

drasch21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to touch on what Steve already said. Parts made before the Covid Hoax were much better quality. Coming from my engine builder, he is thinking of shutting down his shop altogether because of the shit quality and lack of support

ya but thats everything, not just car parts - also, still gotta live a bit

yea, but the usecase on this car is quite a bit different, high rpms constantly etc. Mine would be more of a toy - spirit driving. Also prefix offers 2year/20k mile warranty which isnt to bad and helps deter some risk.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

I've run with him in Hastings for Viper Rendezvous (well, seen him, my car isn't nearly in that kind of class, lol). I think he finally dethroned the old lap record as well if I remember correctly. Definitely heard it coming down the straight.

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've run with him in Hastings for Viper Rendezvous (well, seen him, my car isn't nearly in that kind of class, lol). I think he finally dethroned the old lap record as well if I remember correctly. Definitely heard it coming down the straight.
I have also, he dethroned me of the closed car track record, I think in 2021, Mike Kirsch and I came back last year and buried that record by 2 seconds. Then this year AJ Peterson, driving the Slim Luttrel GT3R Viper buried my record by 2 seconds. This one should stand for a while. Bob Woodhouse

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have also, he dethroned me of the closed car track record, I think in 2021, Mike Kirsch and I came back last year and buried that record by 2 seconds. Then this year AJ Peterson, driving the Slim Luttrel GT3R Viper buried my record by 2 seconds. This one should stand for a while. Bob Woodhouse

Actually Bob, he's only ONE second ahead of....us. ;) I don't think most people fully understand what that car is. And isn't.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Aw man, now I'm sad I missed this year. I have been wondering when the first GT3R was going to show up for the Rendezvous. I had my car all back together in time, but wanted to put some more miles on it first this time to assure myself that everything was settling in properly. The wife threatened to permanently disable it the next time I broke it at the track, lol. Hoping it's good to go next time around. I've got the gen 4 swinging pickup/pan, larger volume oil pump, gen 4/5 style relief valve, and some block mods from Prefix for extra oil grooves/holes on the cam and main bearings. If I managed to toast/shatter a rod again on street tires I have no idea what is going on.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aw man, now I'm sad I missed this year. I have been wondering when the first GT3R was going to show up for the Rendezvous. I had my car all back together in time, but wanted to put some more miles on it first this time to assure myself that everything was settling in properly. The wife threatened to permanently disable it the next time I broke it at the track, lol. Hoping it's good to go next time around. I've got the gen 4 swinging pickup/pan, larger volume oil pump, gen 4/5 style relief valve, and some block mods from Prefix for extra oil grooves/holes on the cam and main bearings. If I managed to toast/shatter a rod again on street tires I have no idea what is going on.

Riley built seven GT3R's and two of them were at the Viper Rendezvous this year. Kinda crazy.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of like the Viper Days series of the early 2000's when club racers started buying GTS-R's to run in wheel-to-wheel classes.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Riley built seven GT3R's and two of them were at the Viper Rendezvous this year. Kinda crazy.
I knew they would make it eventually. They had one outside of the Complete Performance trailer a few years back just showing off, and I thought I remembered Ben Keating being there one year. Figured it was only a matter of time before someone managed to get a hold of one to get on the track.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben owns two of them. One he drove at LeMans 24, the other he won class at the Daytona 24 in.

Attachments

• Ben K GT3 Viper.jpg
    Ben K GT3 Viper.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Keating 1.jpg
    Keating 1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 4

Bigwitz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings. What kind of HP are you trying to attain? I notice some here addressing N/A vs boosted which is good. Very few "only one i know of" SC option out there which is hit or miss on reviews and major performance shop reviews. TT you will not get a decent set up for less than $60k min AND you will NOT be able to do TT set up unless you overhaul ur engine top and bottom first because of the bottom issues 08's are known to have and have a max 800hp rating from Factory. That being said I just got my car back from Prefix for a Stage II with a couple other small mods and am at 760HP N/A and 675ftlbs torque. Absolute dif from stock and just a blast to drive. I had them pretty much bullet proof my car while there as well. I just put up a thread with ll the details of all my recent upgrades. Have no problem sharing costs and all that was done as well. I highly recommend Prefix. They are one of the Few and actually only one I found that re did the bottom of the engine on their stage II. IMO the Stage II is a GREAT was to start where after if you want to spend more for TT set up etc you would be good to go. Or just spend another $25k + for the 9.0L extreme etc. After Talking to Prefix and Dale Matthews and Dick Winkles the Stage II was the way to go for me. Hope this helps.

BoremViper97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1,000hp on 9psi boost is crazy.
I would love to see the results of even just 1 or 2 psi on a stock viper.
I got the money; who has the parts and know-how?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala