A/C condenser?

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A/C condenser is leaking in my '98 GTS with 11K miles. Is this another weak part in the Viper? My Viper Tech informs me he has replaced several of these which leak from the lower corner on the driver's side. I already replaced the lower A/C hose which was leaking. Are there any after market providers that offer a better condenser than the OEM part? Dodge dealer is charging $700 for the OEM part and $500 labor for install, $150 for recharge.:dunno: TIA.

OP
OP
R

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't see a hole. It has not been damaged. Just leaks. Takes a few days after recharge. What difference does it make?:dunno: If it leaks it leaks.:(

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Others will chime in, but the condenser is really easy to install. No way it should cost that much. IMHO, you are getting ripped off on the install. The part is expensive, from what I recall.

OP
OP
R

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Others will chime in, but the condenser is really easy to install. No way it should cost that much. IMHO, you are getting ripped off on the install. The part is expensive, from what I recall.

Evidently, the hood, hood attachments, air box, hoses all have to be removed. Labor is actually about $320. Condenser part# 4708206 is $787. Recharge and refrigerant is $170. Tax $109. Just wondering why these end up leaking with only 11K miles. Without being damaged I don't know why it should leak after 12 years. Just curious why they go bad. Already replaced the other weak parts like the defective porous oil pan, power steering pump bracket and pulley, stock half shafts, shifter, radiator, cooling fan, brakes, etc.. Had not heard about the condenser leaking. Hopefully, dave6666's will go bad soon.:lmao:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't see a hole. It has not been damaged. Just leaks. Takes a few days after recharge. What difference does it make?:dunno: If it leaks it leaks.:(

not all leaks are equal

if coin is an issue, and is pin hole type of leak (couple of days is a small leak), google red angel

bought mine at napa for my dd, worked as advertised

OP
OP
R

REDBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks I'd rather replace the bad part than use sealant on my Viper. Like it bulletproof. Coin is not an issue contrary to asshole6666's comments. Reason I was asking about after market condenser was to see if there was a better more expensive one than OEM that went bad for no reason that anyone has yet mentioned.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOTICE: the o-rings that seal the joints between the hard lines and the condensor are known bad fromt he factory on 98s. The new o-rings avaialbel are an upgraded part. I replaced mine 5+ years ago and no leaks since. It was not the condensor itself.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, well, well... my 00 GTS starts blowing hot air at me, though not what I'd intended. The Dodge dealer says, "Condenser is leaking, hood has to come off, fascia, etc etc." basically same as the OP here.

Anyway, told the dealer to fill it up with refrigerant and we'll see how long it goes. He said it was a 'very small' leak, did NOT advise stop leak at all.

So, first question: what ever happened with the OP here, since I may be facing the same fate?

Second and risking potential flame-a-thon, has anyone ever dealt with the product below?

DODGE VIPER 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 CONDENSER AC NIB: eBay Motors (item 260594509436 end time Aug-27-10 16:17:22 PDT)

Last edited:

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ya i just got my 02 gts done about a month ago worked good for a few days now i tried it yesterday and only hot air dammit.... What is known to go on the 02's???? o rings condinser?? thanks!!

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya i just got my 02 gts done about a month ago worked good for a few days now i tried it yesterday and only hot air dammit.... What is known to go on the 02's???? o rings condinser?? thanks!!

When I got my car 4 years ago, a barrier hose was bad. Seller agreed to have that replaced. Though he's a jillionaire, he didn't like Dodge dealer's price and had it made locally. AC worked fine for a year.

At that point (my ownership) I went back to the dealer. They told me another different hose had gone bad. Quoted around $500 for the whole repair. Sounded like a lot for a little, so I took it to my independent guy who dye-tested and found ONE O-ring in need of replacement.

Around $100 later, I was chillin' again... for almost 2 years.

Now the same Dodge dealer (independent guy moved away) says my condenser is leaking, one O ring is leaking, and one other hose is bad. (3 total leak areas.) Total estimate just under $2grand.

I, like most of you, have spent and even overspent to keep the car running great, or improving it. Some of these costs make sense, some don't. This one hit me wrong, thus my inquiry back to the OP.

If no one has done the condenser shown on here, maybe I'll volunteer as guinea pig.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's the actual condensor, call Paul at Don Scharf. Find a new mechanic and find out if it's just an o ring. Doesn't matter the miles, it's the age and lack of use. My 03 had bad rings with 11000 miles and a bad compressor. Rebuilt compressor 150, new hose from Dodge 127, Dodge o rings $20. New evap. I had. Labor to do all the work and install reman. powersteering pump ar same time $340 including freon and oil.

Also flush the used parts if you buy any.

Last edited:

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Evidently, the hood, hood attachments, air box, hoses all have to be removed. Labor is actually about $320. Condenser part# 4708206 is $787. Recharge and refrigerant is $170. Tax $109. Just wondering why these end up leaking with only 11K miles. Without being damaged I don't know why it should leak after 12 years. Just curious why they go bad. Already replaced the other weak parts like the defective porous oil pan, power steering pump bracket and pulley, stock half shafts, shifter, radiator, cooling fan, brakes, etc.. Had not heard about the condenser leaking. Hopefully, dave6666's will go bad soon.:lmao:

Just had mine replaced on my 94 RT/10. Removed hood (four bolts) in about 2 minutes. Did not need to remove fascia. Was 2 hours labor. I found condensors priced from at $50, $216, $346 aftermarket an OEM from $715, $863 and $1077 (various Dodge parts suppliers). Went with cheapest OEM. Total ended up being ($794.90 parts - $715 condenser and $79.90 for 2 pounds of freon) $210.41 labor ($174 to intall compressor and $36.41 to evacuate and recharge), $35.00 shop supplies and $72.82 tax for a total of $1,113.13. They marked the hood bolt positions, but on reinstall I ended up with different hood gaps. I need to do some minor adjustments.

According to the place that fixed mine, most fail due to road debris and a dye test will show if it is leaking, but good luck findng the exact location of the pinhole leak.

Last edited:

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had mine replaced on my 94 RT/10. Removed hood (four bolts) in about 2 minutes. Did not need to remove fascia. Was 2 hours labor. I found condensors priced from at $50, $216, $346 aftermarket an OEM from $715, $863 and $1077 (various Dodge parts suppliers). Went with cheapest OEM. Total ended up being ($794.90 parts - $715 condenser and $79.90 for 2 pounds of freon) $210.41 labor ($174 to intall compressor and $36.41 to evacuate and recharge), $35.00 shop supplies and $72.82 tax for a total of $1,113.13. They marked the hood bolt positions, but on reinstall I ended up with different hood gaps. I need to do some minor adjustments.

According to the place that fixed mine, most fail due to road debris and a dye test will show if it is leaking, but good luck findng the exact location of the pinhole leak.

Wow, thanks so much for the detail here. Very helpful. I had my car merely recharged. Blew ice cubes all weekend. We'll see how long it holds a charge.

BTW, was happy to see you didn't have to remove the fascia. That was not all that fun (just did it couple months back to replace my horns.) Thanks again for the insight.