a/c loss on acceleration

flyboy618

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what is the deal with the a/c cutting out on acceleration? Is this the price we pay for horsepower? Is this built into the design, or am I having a vacuum problem?

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, Fang is right!! Almost all low performance cars are set up to kill AC on hard acceleration. Especially so they can get up the hills. Feature is connected to throttle position switch. :nana:

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't blame the new guy, our search feature is not very user friendly. I hope someone will chime in with a part #, there is a inexpensive one way valve that can be added to the vacuum line coming off the rear of the right valve cover to keep the door from closing on hard acceleration.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't blame the new guy, our search feature is not very user friendly. I hope someone will chime in with a part #, there is a inexpensive one way valve that can be added to the vacuum line coming off the rear of the right valve cover to keep the door from closing on hard acceleration.

Huumm, Like Jon B always say's advertising money wasted :(

Check my web site under engine & trans for my vacumm canister kit :2tu:

www.davesbigbrakes.com

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a good thing that the AC compressor shuts off at high rpm otherwise you will blow up your AC compressor. i blew a AC compressor on a camaro and a chevy truck both as a result of them not having this feature that the viper has. the AC compressor on my 2004 Z06 does not shut off at high rpm's like my viper. i would definately not hard wire my vipers AC compressor up like GM does. with that said daves kit would be the way to go for sure if you want to do this. just remember to turn your AC off when you are racing. something that is easy to forget for me living out in arizona where its always so hot here.

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a good thing that the AC compressor shuts off at high rpm otherwise you will blow up your AC compressor. i blew a AC compressor on a camaro and a chevy truck both as a result of them not having this feature that the viper has. the AC compressor on my 2004 Z06 does not shut off at high rpm's like my viper. i would definately not hard wire my vipers AC compressor up like GM does.

Hey Fred,
It still will shuoff @ WOT the computer does that, BUT anything below WOT the ac should still work. I had the problem just barley touching the trottle the A/C would blow hot air, this kit still allows the computer to control the A/C. :cool:

Dave

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a good thing that the AC compressor shuts off at high rpm otherwise you will blow up your AC compressor. i blew a AC compressor on a camaro and a chevy truck both as a result of them not having this feature that the viper has. the AC compressor on my 2004 Z06 does not shut off at high rpm's like my viper. i would definately not hard wire my vipers AC compressor up like GM does.

Hey Fred,
It still will shuoff @ WOT the computer does that, BUT anything below WOT the ac should still work. I had the problem just barley touching the trottle the A/C would blow hot air, this kit still allows the computer to control the A/C. :cool:

Dave

way to go dave :2tu: daves always one step ahead of all of us with the R&D. this is why i bought my brakes from him and will be buying this AC contoller from him too.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Again - is the SEARCH button not working?

There really should be an FAQ on the different gens. The same 5-10 questions pop up every 6 months or so.

Yes, I totally agree! I am going to work on writing up a FAQ for Gen I and Gen II owners. The FAQ would be geared toward new owners; however, it will contain information that could be used as a reference for common viper issues.

If anyone wants to contribute any ideas, please email them to me at [email protected].

Rev

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the installed Vac Canister A/C Kit from Dave's Big Brakes :2tu:

vac2.jpg

vac3.jpg

Very easy to install :cool: and works great :usa: and looks like the factory installed it :rolleyes:

Check all my other great parts @
www.davesbigbrakes.com

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The A/C should NOT shut off under any acceleration, not WOT, not ever. The computer does *not* shut it off, and max rpm will not blow the system.

The cause of the hot air is loss of vacuum to the valve that moves the air flaps in the hvac system - the fix is a vacuum check valve.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't most all cars have momentary a/c compressor cutout on wot?
I have heard of it being implemented on some cars, not sure which. Don't know why it hasn't been implemented on the Viper; perhaps on the SRT?

OP
OP
F

flyboy618

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's the installed Vac Canister A/C Kit from Dave's Big Brakes :2tu:

vac2.jpg

vac3.jpg

Very easy to install :cool: and works great :usa: and looks like the factory installed it :rolleyes:

Check all my other great parts @
www.davesbigbrakes.com
This is good news, but the ac cuts out so easily on the hiway so I thought it was a vacuum door problem.???????

OP
OP
F

flyboy618

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think flyboy is pulling our legs.....A/C in January in Colorado???? [
/quote]

No, we are not driving our Vipers with two feet of snow on the ground. That is why I'm on my computer talking to you FINE folk! By the way, does anyone have snow tires to fit the Viper???? Maybe some snow chains???? We are going through withdrawls here...... :nana:

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine on Monday and it was 29 degrees out but no snow on the road. I know what you mean about "going through withdrawls". I had both windows down and the heat on full blast. I love the sound of a V10.
:2tu: :usa:

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2954Viper_Vacuum_Check_Valve_Small-med.JPG

Parts from Mcmaster.com
High Temp Valve #47245K26, $4.80
High Temp Hose, #51135K172, $.81/ft (need 1.25")

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the Vac canister supposed to do? Does the $5 "canister" AJT posted do the same thing?

The 1 way valve ( the $5 canister) will indeed solve the lack of vaccum issue at WOT and consequently the vaccum operated door will not close and you will have air coming from the vents at WOT

The vaccum reservoir has a check/1 way valve in it so it will also accomplish the same function but it,as it's name imply, also will provide a reserve of vaccum, including when the engine is off.

In another word, with the engine off, you can move the dial ( floor,defrost,etc)
and all the vaccum motors will still operate for a few times (you will hear the flaps opening/closing.

It's a nice way to check the system for leaks, if after not driving the car for a few days/weeks, you move the dial before starting the engine and you can hear the flaps moving, you know that the system is not leaking.

Luc 00 GTS

OP
OP
F

flyboy618

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is the Vac canister supposed to do? Does the $5 "canister" AJT posted do the same thing?

The 1 way valve ( the $5 canister) will indeed solve the lack of vaccum issue at WOT and consequently the vaccum operated door will not close and you will have air coming from the vents at WOT

The vaccum reservoir has a check/1 way valve in it so it will also accomplish the same function but it,as it's name imply, also will provide a reserve of vaccum, including when the engine is off.

In another word, with the engine off, you can move the dial ( floor,defrost,etc)
and all the vaccum motors will still operate for a few times (you will hear the flaps opening/closing.

It's a nice way to check the system for leaks, if after not driving the car for a few days/weeks, you move the dial before starting the engine and you can hear the flaps moving, you know that the system is not leaking.

Luc 00 GTS

Hey,,, What does WOT stand for?????????????????? :confused:

OP
OP
F

flyboy618

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Again - is the SEARCH button not working?

There really should be an FAQ on the different gens. The same 5-10 questions pop up every 6 months or so.

It is funny that this question has been asked before yet 300+ have still looked at this question................. :smirk: :bonker:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is funny that this question has been asked before yet 300+ have still looked at this question................. :smirk: :bonker:
On the other hand, its sad that so many have looked at the question, yet so many of old-timers got the answer wrong. Evidently not many are reading or remembering the correct answer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte