A/C will not stay cold after total rebuild??

4207henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 gts, and have has a/c worked on over the past few years under warranty as was not cold? I have had the compressor, conensor, all lines and o rings replaced, and still no cold a/c. I put a temp guage in the vents, which should be between 38-48, but car runs at 70 highway and 80 in the city, not very comfortable, any suggestions?? Dealer says it is ok, but it makes you sweat when the a/c is on? The car used to freeze me out before on the first setting, but know it is very warm, especially once you stop for a little bit for lunch or somewhere, and you start if back up, it gets even warmer??
Thanks

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the compressor come on (can you see it turning?)

If the compressor runs, buy a recharge kit just to use the pressure gauge and see what the suction pressure is. It should be somewhere around 20 psi.

Chopper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because you replaced everything, doesn't mean you don't have some kind of leak.Sounds like it's low on Freon.

OP
OP

4207henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have rechaarged it several times over this summer, but still is warm no matter how much freon I put in it. The compressor does come on by the way, it is just not cool, feels like 85 degrees

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have rechaarged it several times over this summer, but still is warm no matter how much freon I put in it. The compressor does come on by the way, it is just not cool, feels like 85 degrees

Question, do you have the right amount of freon in the system? If too much, the system WILL get hotter! Also, do you have headers? Are the heat shields on? If so or not, look at the A/C fan motor housing [in-board side] for a melt down hole!

"Something to check?" :cool:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine hasn't worked in years. I gotta get around to fixing it sometime. Gets hot down here.

Can anybody recommend some quality professional grade gauges? I don't buy the cheap crap.

Reaction score
Does the car run hot also? Do the fans kick on to high when the air is on? if the fans are not running properly the condenser will freeze up and get hot inside the car, this would account for the hotter temps after sitting and driving off.