A Few Viper Questions!

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Jon B sees your note you will be in the pink. But just briefly, Gen II is 96 and later. 50 HP plus some excellent chassis upgrades including frame mods, spring and A-arm changes. Basically two engines through the years, (yes experts I know about the 415 hp and the 460 hp but too small to mention). There are no bad years in Vipers, some small problems of course. Two body types, the coupe began in 96, all roadsters until then, newer roadster numbers are small.
And to finish this off, an unabashed, how can I hide it, solicitation, if you are getting close to a decision, call us, we may have your next car in stock now. 800 889 1893 Woodhouse F C D J L M

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bigtoe,

I too am a corvette enthusiast. I have had two Vipers and Two Vettes. I have my third of each on order now. The cars are Two very different animals. The newer Vettes are much more "civilized" I would reccamend you stay with a Generation II Viper
as they not only have more HP and as Bob W. pointed out many other modifications that I feel make them a better car. If you want a coupe they were only available from 96' on. If you want a specific color your year for that color may be very limited. Used Vipers are very reasonable in price compared to the new ones and you can find several low mile cars to start with if you want. Also as Bob W. pointed out his dealership can get you a car. Talk to the world renowned Bill Pemberton and you won't have any worries about getting a bad car. They'll even deliver it to your
door.
I hope this helps.
Steve
You must be registered for see images

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bigtoe, for me the RT10 was VERY hard to get my head to bend down far enough to get in there. The GTS was totally different. Much easier. However, it is hard to get out of, but who cares!!! Who wants to get out! 1st time I tried to get into an RT10 was last August - it was the car I wanted - bought the GTS the same day. WOODHOUSE, repeat, WOODHOUSE.

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Big, if I can call you by your first name, I believe the '96 RT was a "generation I", while the GTS for '96 was a Gen. II. The Gen. II is the improved model. So, if you sat in a '96 RT, give yourself a look at a '96 GTS. Better yet, TEST drive a Gen.II before you decide. I've had both, and find the seating and amenities to be much better in the GTS. Plus, it'll flatout leave all of the Vettes I've ever owned: '67 327/350 air coupe with close ratio 4 spd, '72 Roadster and '87 Coupe. Even my '94 RT would run away from them. My GTS turns low 12's and 123 mph per GTech-however accurate that thing is. AND I DO DRIVE MINE ON A DAILY BASIS-except that I like to leave it in the garage when it's raining. Sometimes I even drive it in the rain and slop, though, and it is a great driver any time I get to drive it. I have over 23,000 miles on my car, but I ain't investing in it; I'm driving the sucker. You wouldn't go wrong with a Gen. II, which I recommend for someone used to the civilized Vettes of today. Good hunting. Check out Bill P. at Woodhouse for a fair deal and a good car.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another plus for the Gen II cars not mentioned above is Adjustable Pedals. If you're having trouble getting comfortable in a Viper, they may help.

Reaction score
Bigtoe:

ScottP here...I live in Greenville, SC and visit the Vette board as well. I plan to do the Gap run with the Vette guys in Jan. I will be happy for you to check out my viper and take her out (with me on board of course)! I have a 2000 Black/Silver GTS with adjustable pedals. If you are interested please e-mail me and we will set something up.

ScottP

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bigtoe -

I too am in the Atlanta area. I have a Silver 99 RT/10 that I commute with to Norcross when it isn't raining. The last 8 weeks it has been in Miami on vacation with Doug Levin getting a supercharger put in. I hope to have it back in the next 1 - 3 weeks. (slight chance it'll be ready next week, but I am not counting any chickens). If you are interested in taking a ride, I'm more than happy to accomodate you once i have it back. Same goes to Martin if you'd like to check out the SC system.

Take care!

Joseph

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Roswell and would be happy to show you my 99 GTS. If the weather is nice you can drive it.

I have not owned a new Corvette but have driven one. It seemed much more refined but not as fast. I have had no trouble outrunning them at Road Atlanta, however, I have not run into a Z06 on the track yet.

Happy hunting.
Roy

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bigtoe,

As a C5 guy my choice would be a Viper. I'm hoping I can get one down the line. One question for you, when will you be racing Snowman if you get a Viper
You must be registered for see images

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bigtoe, it looks like there are quite a few Viper and Corvette owners, and my wife and I are about to join those ranks. We've owned a 99 GTS for about a year and have recently ordered a 2001 Z06. I sure hope we can get yellow....

It looks like you will have no problem finding some Vipers to check out. I don't drive mine daily, but did put 5000 miles on it last year, which is pretty good since I travel half my time. I drive it rain or shine. The only 'problems' with daily driving are the relative value of the car and the constant attention.

Jim