A question for owners of 600-700+ h.p. Snakes

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A buddy of mine is looking to buy a 770+ h.p. (on motor, no NOS or forced induction) Viper with modified suspension and brakes. He has previously owned a stock motored 99GTS and enjoyed it on the street. He has no real track experience to speak of, and none solo. What advice/observations would those of you that actually drive these cars give to someone with such a backround who was considering such a purchase?

Reaction score
Hi Paul,My Hennessey Venom 650R is a dream to drive on the street. I think drivability issues will pretty much depend on how the car is set up for it's power, and how that power was achieved. If everything was done properly, a 200+HP increase in power doesn't mean that the car has to be a bear to drive. As for the driver of the car, like Wayne said, "make sure the wheels are pointed straight". 700+HP can hurt him if common sense and good judgment aren't used. Heck, the stock Viper can do that too if he don't respect the abundant power and torque. My observation & recommendation would be don't drive it in the rain or snow, and avoid heavy traffic until he understands the snake he has grabbed by the tail! (PS) Good luck trying to insurance. Did you say 770HP? Good grief!

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...770, on motor? Is that a flywheel number or rear wheel? Stock displacement or stroker? Pretty impressive numbers, I would say that the average person is not equipped to drive a car with 500 RWHP (much less 700+) unless they have lots of seat time. Jumping from a docile driver into something with that much power would, at the least, require some serious "closed course" practice for the owner and his/her new ride. Even then, you cannot simulate all possible scenarios (rain, sudden obstructions, etc.) and really learn the car. But some seat time in the car, or one similar, would be the greatest help in making the transition into the world of big power.

OP
OP
P

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, King Snake it is. And that's a flywheel number on a stroker motor.
Thanks for the input guys, I'll be e-mailing him this page. Thanks for bringing up the insurance angle Jim, that's an important point.