A sad day indeed... (photo)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appropriately enough, it was raining as we loaded my pride and joy into Bill Pemberton's enclosed trailer.

<center>
You must be registered for see images
</center>

After a wonderful time with the Nebraska/Iowa club at the Hotel Pattee for a short Viper weekend (more on that later), it was time to part with my baby for as long as twelve weeks. Why, you ask? Well, as many of you know, there have been isolated problems with a few early 2000 cars in regard to excessive oil use. Mine is one of them. It has averaged one quart for every 350 miles. Mobil has made me a preferred customer!

Anyway, the dilemma is what to do with the engine at this point. I am hoping the AWESOME folks at Woodhouse Dodge find some other problem that will leave the motor where it is (maybe it is missing a valve guide seal, etc.). Otherwise, I may face a choice of rebuilding this motor or getting a new engine outright. I hesitate to go for a new motor for two reasons: 1. Resale, as the numbers won't match (you Corvette guys and gals know what I mean). 2. This motor is just so darn strong! With just tubes and filters, it is pulling just under 440 hp and 490 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheels. I don't want to lose that.

So, if you had the choice (if I get one), what would you do? I have heard from several folks that the "factory freshened" motors often come back stronger than they went in. I would not argue with that in the slightest. In the meantime, I must face days like today (75º and not a cloud in the sky) without my baby. For as long as three months. Hope you don't mind me getting on the Viper chats every few minutes...

<FONT size="1">(Note to Tony: I made the photo smaller and much less detailed to keep things moving along. LOVE this board!!)</FONT s>

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you request they dyno it before and after and that they can't lose a single horse or you will bring it back until its "right"? I've seen your dyno posts and from a guy that feels like he can feel the effect of a fly caught in his K&N filters I would hate to lose the awesome engine you seemed to have lucked out with!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris...keep a stiff upper lip, I know that Woodhouse will do whatever is "right" for your car.....and you. And, while I can understand how you feel to be without the Viper for a few months...think of the grand time you'll have getting re-acquainted with her when she returns.

Reaction score
Hey Chris look at it this way maybe the Yellow Ferrari owner will come back through and give you a ride in it.
I'm just kidding by the way. No other car in the world could ever replace the Viper. Just my 2 cents.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Chris,
Have her unloaded and will get to it as quick as we can. Will discuss with the plant that you prefer to keep this STRONG motor, and go from there. Funniest part was when we unloaded it and one of the mechanics wanted to know what a Free Eater was - don't think he quite figured out your license plate.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Pemberton:
Funniest part was when we unloaded it and one of the mechanics wanted to know what a Free Eater was - don't think he quite figured out your license plate.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to worry, my new plates (2WICKED) should be in any day. While the "4RE KLR" plates are fun, they cause too many people to scratch their heads. Sigh...

As to getting to the car, I KNOW you guys are great about it and I appreciate all of your help thus far. Besides, I rented a Corvette to take its place since the warranty covers a rental car, so at $225 a day I figure Dodge will be quick about it.

Now about those bowling scores...

Reaction score
Chris keep your "Ferrari Eater" plates. My Ram Sport's plates read "NURULES" as for The Rules Have Changed. Most people don't get it or they think it say No Rules. I love to make people think.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mnichols,

When you typed your reply, right above the input box is a row of buttons. Click on the smiley face
one and you will get a pop-up menu. Click on the face you want and it will insert the code for the face in your message. Just make sure you don't have "Disable Smilies" checked below your message.

Y2KACR

VCA Member
Reaction score
Chris,
I'm going to go out on a limb here. But if you need a "Viper fix" and your coming thru the Iowa City area, contact me and we will try to help you out. You can look, touch, sit in (and make racing sound effects!) or take ours for a drive if that'll help you get through your time of need.
Regards,
Gary

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbelDJ:
I'd like to feel sorry for you, really..... I was thinking of you yesterday while cruising around here in St. Joe.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh great, now AARON is using the new board.
Yeah, yeah, I know - tuner goofs up your car and your idle for only 8-10 months (grin). My tuner was Mother Mopar herself! No whining here, as I am ALWAYS a happy guy!