A terrible day

LeftyBaseballr16

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Virginia Beach, Virginia / Louisburg, North Caroli
Well After some saving for a couple years (And a recent birthday, with some cash) I hit the 20k Mark and I decided to pop the question. The question of if my pops would want to go 50/50 with me and get a used Viper. He's always loved cars as much as I did but he quickly slammed the Viper.

It's a Dodge, It'll fall apart
Why spend that much on a Viper when we can get a Brand-New Corvette
I'm Sorry, If you want the Viper so bad your gonna hafta do this on your own

Those were the three big daggers that killed my Viper hopes anytime soon. So I guess It's just me and my V6 viper for some more years.

:(

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lefty,

Be patient and work smart and you will eventually get what you want. Going 50/50 with dad is not the answer. Use his response as motivation.

DrDJ

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we all get kicked down occasionally. welcome to life. champions however, stand back up, brush the dirt off, and move on.

your dreams will rarely be the dreams of others.

never give up on YOUR dreams.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you got good news. Now when you get your Viper, you won't have to share it with anyone.

Good Luck.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
12 years here... and everyone that thought I was crazy then... haven't done much with their lives since.

Besides, it sounds like it's time to be your own man... and when you get that Viper on your own, let your old man drive it. We'll be cheering you on from the finish line. :2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
now we will see what kinda person you are. if it were me, id be saving like crazy to spite him. then buy a viper with my OWN CASH ! then id drive up in it and not say a word. get out of the car and pretend all is normal. he WILL ask about it and when he does, tell him that you saved up to buy the whole thing yourself since HE didnt help ya.

its not easy to save cash at your age to buy a viper (i know, cause i did) but if YOU want it, YOU have to do it on your own and make it happen. if YOU want something bad enough and think how much you want it, it WILL happen. it just takes time.

now save up, buy it and rub his nose in it. its gonna be sweet when ya do.

and ya dont need to spend 40K on a viper to make it look like you did.

Reaction score
Accept his advice with love and respect.

Then buy the Viper you want!

The new Vette looks like a performance buy on paper. But at the end of the day it is still a Corvette. I saw three Corvettes this morning on the way to work. One with a CB antenna, cool if you are a CB fan.

The Viper is a fantastic hand made exotic sports car made in America. There is a Viper smile that can not be replaced and there is an extended Viper family unlike any in the World.

Your dad gave you great advice, buy it by yourself. If buying a seasoned Viper take your time to make sure it has not been abused.

FYI your dad's opinion of the Viper's build quality and reliability is wrong. I have purchased five Vipers(all New) and consider them to have outstanding build quality and reliability.

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After you get it and your dad asks to drive it, make sure you tell him he can't, because it's a Dodge and it might fall apart!

Bo knows

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I waited 12 years for mine and was often shot down when I asked my dad to help. The most common response from him was "How bout we save the money on buying a Viper and get you in counseling instead? (LOL)" When I had enough saved up for a descent downpayment last year, I went to the bank, got approved for a loan for the rest and found my Viper all on my own. I still let him drive it but we both know the car is 100% mine :)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Keith C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In 1991 I wanted a ZR1. I asked my dad for a 45K loan to buy the car. After he stopped laughing at my request, he suggested we find a used Vette for around 15K and he would lend me the money. We spent 3 months looking until one day we found the perfect car. I owned it for two years. In those two years my Dad and I spent many weekends in the car. I have lots of great memories. My dad and the Vette have been gone for many years. The memories always bring a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. Don’t take anything for granted. Find common ground with your dad and enjoy your new ride. :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good story Keith. I wish my dad enjoyed my tracking but I can't complain. We take my truck and run errands together on weekends.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hang in there, I saved for 7+ years to buy my first one. You'll appreciate it more when it is all yours... not half your dads, not half the banks, not half the insurance companies ;)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
In my previous job, I couldn't get a Viper, at least not with the pool, mortgage, Corvette, a few other cars, young kids, etc, etc. So wanting a Viper inspired me to start a business, and that enabled me to get a Viper. Now the business continues to grow past my "Viper goal". Wanting a Viper challenged me to do something about my desire. In this way-

The Viper changed my life.

Use your desire to propel yourself onward, upward.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll tell you guys about a terrible day. I just found out that my daughter's friend's Dad, shot his wife this morning and then killed himself. She's alive, so far.

Now that's a bad day.

AC

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew,

Way to bring the sh*tty events of the world into what I like to consider a little slice of heaven. It's an unfortunate event, but it's the wrong place to share.

Bruce's title is a subjective one, it is a terrible day for him because he thought he was closer to achieving Viper ownership.

Bruce,

Take the advice of other Viper owners and use this temporary set-back as additional motivation.

Best of luck on your quest.

Art

OP
OP
L

LeftyBaseballr16

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys thanks for the Motivation, I'm gonna be working this summer and I'll make around 5,000 So hopefully that can build up some. I've even been considering taking my money and maybe putting it into some kind of stock that looks somewhat secure. I'd hafta do the research but just kinda popped up.

thanks keith for your story and Andrew I'll pray for your daughters friend and her mother. I have a close friend who's dad killed his mom and it was about 12 years ago and I know he still has a tough time with it.

Bruce

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be extremely careful in the stock market. I'd feel better with my money in a high interest savings account, but bigger chances have bigger rewards. I'd also like to pass along my best wishes to the family of the woman who was shot.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
shi*y place to share? That's debatable. Guess I was more angry when I heard the news than anything else and I thought I would shock people's problems into perpective. Not like they were even friends of mine, but just when you think you got it rough, wow.

Sorry to bring down the thread.

Ac

OP
OP
L

LeftyBaseballr16

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well It was a nice try... but we are talking about Dodge Vipers hahaha Just kidding . No I def. know there is 10000000000000000 people out there who would trade their life for mine in a heart beat. And people with problems I don't even want to imagine trying to deal with. My relationship with Christ kinda keeps me in line, and reminds me to stay humble with all that I have. But there is just one exception and It's this dang Dodge Viper I can't get in my hands on!!! haha :)

I've been prayin for your daughter's friend. The lord has a reason for everything.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The moral of this story? GO get the Viper! Life is short. How old are you? Live it up. It'll soon end when the wife and kids come along.

When I was 24, in 1985, I bought my first new car. A Lincoln Mark VII. One of the first cars with a console that had a cup holder that popped out. It fit a small Dewars on the rocks just perfect. Dad thought I was nuts, even at 24, but I did it, and it was some of the best times I had with that car. I got rid of it in '96 with 200K on it. I still see it around town

AC

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper is a fantastic hand made exotic sports car made in America. There is a Viper smile that can not be replaced and there is an extended Viper family unlike any in the World.

New Vett= 70,000....Viper smile= PRICELESS :D :cool: :) :laugh: ;) :D

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dad is not a gearhead but is proud of me for achieving my goal of a Viper.

Pay attention to Vic's example. The focus on work and discipline with money you get because of your Viper obsession will put you financially well set over time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4