ABS Scan Tool?

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already did this: :search:

Just don't feel like reading through the 203 threads to not find the answer I'm looking for.

What is the least expensive scan tool that I can use to activate the ABS in order to properly bleed the brakes? It's the last transfusion my car needs, and if the cost of the tool pays for itself after a couple of uses...

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On my 2001 GTS I upgraded to new 14" brakes on my GTS. I removed the front brakes and installed new calipers, SS lines etc. Bled the brakes like any other brake system and have been driving it ever since. Only PIA was screwing in the rear caliper pistons when I installed the new rear pads. Front and rear bled out normally though.

Ted

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You really only need the scan tool to cycle the ABS actuators for air in the ABS hydraulic unit itself. Air in the lines at/near/in calipers can be removed in usual way.

I use a DRB III for ABS Gen II's and all Gen III's...and a wiTECH for Gen IV's.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really only need the scan tool to cycle the ABS actuators for air in the ABS hydraulic unit itself. Air in the lines at/near/in calipers can be removed in usual way.
Steve's correct.
I just did a complete fluid empty-sit for 6 weeks empty- refill fluid project, and although bleeding took 2x as long as normal, everything works fine and the brakes are nice and tight. ABS works perfect as well.
It took a few full rotations of the rotors and a speed above 5mph to clear the ABS and BRAKE lights on the dash, but other than that....no problems.

Cycling the ABS unit should probably only be done for testing of the ABS controller; to make sure it's communicating with the computer and will kick in at the correct time, and that it functions.

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We use a DRBIII in our Comp Coupe. The DRBIII will also work with the '08 Gen IV's ABS system-not sure if it works on later years ('09-on). There is the Snap-on "Red Brick" with a module that will work. Yes it can be done manually but I am not sure if you can get the ABS 100% without the DRB. Also, having a tool like this helps verify the ABS wheel sensors are working properly-they do go bad.

OP
OP
PacificSEASnake

PacificSEASnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. No air in the lines, just been putting off the fluid change far too long. Looks like I'll be going the stealership route or find someone with a scan tool. Can't justify $3k + just to flush the brake fluid and get what's left in the ABS module. :(

Also don't want to flush the system just to have it immediately contaminated. Or am I making too big of a deal about this?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. No air in the lines, just been putting off the fluid change far too long. Looks like I'll be going the stealership route or find someone with a scan tool. Can't justify $3k + just to flush the brake fluid and get what's left in the ABS module. :(

Also don't want to flush the system just to have it immediately contaminated. Or am I making too big of a deal about this?

So, if you only need the $3K scantool to cycle valves if there is air in the system (which Kevan said he did and didn't get a problem after driving it 5 miles) ... YOU can't do it? OK, take it to a Dealership. You don't even need to take it to a dealership that has a scan tool.

You don't have a compcoupe do you? CCBrian indicated that he uses one, but he said that, "Yes you can do it manually, but he's not sure if it works 100%." Kevan said it did for him when he did it yesterday.

Since you have no air in your system, just bleed the brakes like normal (Kevan did yesterday). If you think that there may be a couple cc's of older fluid left in the system ... drive it a few miles then go home and spend another $10 on more Brake fluid and bleed it again.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, thanks Ted. Guess I'm just being anal about it. Flush, fill, repeat. :2tu:

Exactly! I was doing my best to be Polite :):2tu:

Kevan is on my facebook so I got updates on hsi brake work over the last couple months. I guess I 'lived' his frustrations? :dunno:

My as I nearly blanket my beloved Viper in the garage each time I drive it - it still is "just a car", so my wife says.

When she gets jealous about the GTS, I remind her, "Don't be ridiculous. I don't LOVE it - it's just a car!" :lmao:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh heh...I didn't know Ted was following my brake line odyssey. :)

Unless you get spankin' new brake lines, there will ALWAYS be a tiny bit of the old fluid in there (clinging to the inner lining, fitting ends, etc). A couple of ml's of old fluid won't 'contaminate' the new stuff.

The amount in the ABS controller is negligible compared to what's in the lines themselves.
I understand CCBrian's desire to clear it out, but he's also pushing his ride WAY harder than any of us do.....and he's got the tool to do it (that does a ton of other stuff as well). For him, it's worth it.
For guys like me, I find it hard to plop down a bunch of coin for a controller that would remove such a small amount of fluid.

Think of it this way:
Would you remove the tire from the wheel to get all the old air out of it?
Me neither. :D

Instead, invest in 3-4 pints of REALLY GOOD brake fluid or a line/rotor/caliper upgrade.
Oh, and get a MityVac (about $30) if you're going to do it yourself. It's the perfect tool for the job, and you can use it for other fluids as well (removal and filling).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4