AC blowing thru winshield vents after high boost pull

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, A/C was working fine and blowing air thru the front vents. After a high boost pull it started blowing the air thru the vents in the rear of the dash by the bottom of the front winshield (defronst)

No matter in what position I put the switch in the console it blows the air in the same place. I can't make the air come out the front grilles in the dash.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance for the help!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its probably vacume operated and a hose may have collapsed-came off or something like that-- gotta start snoopin around

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Guys, A/C was working fine and blowing air thru the front vents. After a high boost pull it started blowing the air thru the vents in the rear of the dash by the bottom of the front winshield (defronst)

No matter in what position I put the switch in the console it blows the air in the same place. I can't make the air come out the front grilles in the dash.

Any ideas?

You probably blew the line off the rear of the intake manifold that would normally give vaccum to the blower controls. Take off your cowl cover and you'll see it on the passengers side running through the firewall to a small port on the manifold. If it's loose just zip tie it back on and you shouldn't have any more problems.

OP
OP
V

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked a that vac. line. It is on the passenger's side intake plenum in the right rear corner. The hose was attached to the plenum. I followed its routing and it goes into the fire wall more or less at the center of the motor.

I disconnected it from the plenum and blew with my mouth thru it, and I could not push any air.

A/C still blowing thru the windshield vents.

What else do I need to do?

TIA!

You probably blew the line off the rear of the intake manifold that would normally give vaccum to the blower controls. Take off your cowl cover and you'll see it on the passengers side running through the firewall to a small port on the manifold. If it's loose just zip tie it back on and you shouldn't have any more problems.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
could be the parts inside the dash- you know the switches that work the vents

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any ideas?

Ummm, you said "high boost". I hope you have a check valve in there between the engine vacuum port and the interior systems. If not you may have actually caused some of the actuators to run in a reverse direction and rupture or jam. It's also possible you blew the hoses off the controls or actuators. I fixed a couple cars already that were boosted and the installer didn't install a check valve, caused it to get all jammed up and in one case ruptured a diaphragm in an actuator.

OP
OP
V

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No check valve here.
How can I access the actuator and/or the line connecting to it thru the fire wall?

Is there access to it by removing either the driver or passenger under the dash panels?, or is a complete dash removal necessary?
thanks!