AC system repair opinions??

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The AC has never worked as long as I have owned the car and unfortunately I was not told that it was broken when I bought it. Anyways....I dropped it off to have it looked at finally and was hoping a simple vacuum and recharge of refridgerant would do the trick but no such luck. I was told I need a new evaporator and receiver drier. All told with parts, labor, I was told it would be ~$1800. Anyone knowledgeable about this kinda stuff have any thoughts on whether or not the price seems right. I was told a lot of it is labor and from what I can tell, it's do to having to get behind the dash. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I'm also wondering, since I most likely wont be using the AC anymore for a few months since it's cooler now, if I should just wait till spring?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The evap is a PITA to get at, but usually the biggest part of that is evacuating the system. Which it sounds like yours already is. Access though is from under the hood, not behind the dash in the common sense.

Just some quick numbers that I'm sure someone will correct...

Evap - $300
Condenser - $300
Freon and oil - $50

Soooooooo, $1800 - $650 = $1150

Divide that by a shop rate of $90/hour and you have about 13 hours of labor.

Bring it to my house. I'd love to be on that income level... :lmao:

GET A SECOND OPINION!

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Aren't most shops usually about $80/hr though? An evap I found on a mopar site was $600. I sent the woodhouse guy on here an email to get his opinion too. This place was referred to me by a friend with a viper who just had his system recharged a couple days ago and it is only a few miles away. My viper tech is about 45 miles away. Thanks for the info though. Hopefully more people will chime in and agree with you :)

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
was hoping a simple vacuum and recharge of refridgerant would do the trick but no such luck.

Says who? Did you try it yet?

Quickest thing, is to try to charge the refridgerent yourself first. You can pick up a can of 'do it yourself' stuff at Autozone (for your US guys) or Canadian Tire (for canadian guys). They're roughly 35-50, and can do wonders.

However, if it has been left 'dry' for too long, your evap, or condenser could have died... which would mean replacing it. I've replaced a condenser on my old Grand AM GT years back, it was quite simple to do, however on a viper, I probably wouldn't take the chance myself.

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It has already been recharged. I'm thinking the same thing. If it has anything to do with the dash, i'm not doing it. I'm mainly just questioning the price. Thanks for all the info guys. I'm waiting to hear back from my viper tech in Springfield, VA to get an estimate from him.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it has anything to do with the dash, i'm not doing it.

If you open your hood, on the passenger side right above the footwell, below the cabin air intake/blower area, is where it is. You remove it from outside the car. With the hood up.

The condenser requires removal of the fascia for access. 30 minute job on or off.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Along with Dave and Nitro... The parts are easy to see and replace.

If you have recharged already then the compressor came on, right? With enough R-134A in the system, the low pressure cutoff switch is closed and it should operate. If it did not, then something else if not right.

It's worth considering going to an AC shop to have them evacuate first, then recharge. The evacuation is extremely low pressure, which will force some evaporation of moisture if present. In effect, it partially dries the system. Then refill and see how it works. As above, the compressor should come on and you should get some cold air.

PS You do need it to work in the winter. The AC comes on when you use defrost. The cold air is dry, getting rid of moisture, then the heater core reheats it. You are supposed to get dry, hot air blowing on the windshield to remove the moisture on the inside. Without dried air, it takes much longer to clear the glass.

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Car is always garaged and I never used defrost. Don't go out in weather like that. It has already been evacuated and recharged but I dont know about the cutoff switch though.

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there truly is something wrong with your evaporator it can only be one of two things. Either it leaks or it is plugged. You can check that by partially charging or vacuuming the system and see if it bleeds down. The low pressure cut out switch can be jumped momentarily to check the state of your compressor. Don't run it long as if the system is empty it will not be getting oil. If it comes on just make sure it's not making any noises and then turn it off (a few seconds is all you should need).

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the compressor. The shop did the evac and charge. The evaporator has a leak and so does the drier. This I know. My only question was how reasonable the price was to repair those two things.

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and picked the car up. Paid 177 for the vacuation and charging of the refrig. system. I think i'm going to buy the parts and do it myself.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chipster.....
Good idea on the shop manual. Got to tell you from experience, the AC system is complicated. You also may want to check the internal valve located underneath the passenger side of the dash board. If you go for changing that out, it will take a number of hours to get to it. Reconnection is fairly straight forward, as long as you label the components. PM me if you need info.

Plaw

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks. I will consider that as well. It appears as though I am leaking some coolant from directly in the center of the front fascia (right below the radiator). I have ordered the AC parts from Jon B and since i'm going to have to take the car in to get this coolant issue checked out, I may have them do the AC stuff at the same time.

ViperLogic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm with the Vipervon. Jumper the cut off switch to ensure that there is no problem with the compressor or power to it. How did they determine the failure at the evap? Sniff detectors can be misleading and I am assuming that this device was used because the evap is incased. I would get a second opinion. Especially before tearing into this yourself. Good luck! Let us know what happens.

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The AC works like normal right now, the guy just says that there is a small leak and that he doesn't know how long the AC will last. But I'll have my viper tech confirm this.