ACR shocks for lowering

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search but didnt found the answer I was looking for or maybe I did but didnt realize it.

I assume ACR shocks can fit a GTS. If so, can they lower the car as way (I assume so but correct me if I am wrong). So I guess my question is...how do thoses with ACR shocks like them compared to the motons.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest getting a new set if it's compatible with the budget. ACR dampers are factory tuned internally for the stiff springs, and it'd be best to avoid bolting in old used dampers from a 2000'sh car. If you can find a fresh set, new or rebuilt for a good deal, still need to tear them apart because of a different spring rate, assuming you will use softer rate springs, if not.. it's going to be harsh ride and deal with future rebuilds.. Mopar also offers dampers, pretty sure for lowering too, don't quote me on that.. Sounds like folks here are having good luck with Motons, but many are using these for the external damping adjustment capability, not just for lowering the car, which may be an excessive expense if it's just to lower the car. You could save some money by getting non-adjustable dampers with shorter springs, or just replace the springs. Keep in mind the spring rate should be within 30%, otherwise it affects the existing damping & vehicle dynamics, if you use the same dampers / shocks. Once the new ride height is established, you'll need an alignment, which can be slightly expensive if done properly. You may know all this.. just babbling.

Last edited:

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take a look at KW Suspension. Parts Rack sells them. They are cheaper than motons and penske and give you a coilover that will live on the street. And there standard issue for the new ACR's

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good. I know some folks lowered their cars vipers with eibach pro kit springs. From what I hear, they lower it about an inch but if you bottom out you can bust a shock.

kpham

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think the leaking on these ACR shocks is related to height settings. Mine leaked awhile ago in stock height. I later rebuilt and lower it a bit. You can't really lower it much. If I recall correctly the lowest it can goes is about 1 inch. I definitely recommend lowering the GTS. Last time when I parked right next to one, mine "looks" a lot lower. You can see the picture in classified section, it's the red 2000 ACR. ...Well looks like I'm going to take it off classify :) (it's too nice to let go)

Reaction score
When you lower a vehicle with stock shocks and shorter springs the shock itself can "bottom" and this will ruin the shock even if it is one time. The problem you have is not only the allowable travel but the valving in the shock has a range that it works in regarding the travel. When you lower it it is outside of it's spec for control and as the potential for bottoming because it loses control of the spring.

Most after market shocks that are adjustable have a shorter body to compensate for the lowered stance. This allows the piston to remain in the designed travel of the valving. This is why the Moton, KW, and Penske shocks work so well even on a lowered car.

As far as I know the comment about the KW being the same shocks that comes on the ACR is incorrect. I believe the shocks are made for Mopar by KW but are the VERY costly aluminum versions that Mopar sells.

One other thing, the stiffness of shock valving has a negative affect on shock life. This is more than likely why most of the old ACR shocks developed leaks during the normal use they had. If you watch race teams they rebuild shocks very often to insure the valving stays correct and there are no leaking issues at the track.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good. I know some folks lowered their cars vipers with eibach pro kit springs. From what I hear, they lower it about an inch but if you bottom out you can bust a shock.

That's a good point to be aware of. Typically in vehicle design, full jounce (bottoming out) is expected. There are several designs which limit suspension travel. There can be rubber bumpers mounted on the chassis, in which control arm contact at the bumper limits travel, or such as a straight axle tube contact on rwd cars or trucks. There can an external bumper on the shock / damper shaft, such as on conventional Macpherson struts on in coil over shocks. There can also be an internal bump stop inside the damper, in a strut or coil over damper. On an OEM car, full jounce in the design is always accomodated, it must survive full travel, and for bumpers mounted on the chassis, they are designed to steel to steel contact, just in case in the future the rubber bumper deteriorates. There is a bump stop to avoid the shock from bottoming out in any OEM suspension design.

Point of this babbling is that if you change a spring on a coilover with an internal bump stop, something to be aware of is the full compressed height of the spring. If you bottom out and the replacement coil spring fully collapses before hitting the bump stop, that'll do some damage. Likewise, installing a damper without a bump stop in which the stock one had one, and the shock can then bottom out internally causing damage. A bump stop can be added onto to the external damper shaft as a fix. Many, many times the aftermarket companies do not validate their product mounted in the vehicle, and endure all the lengthy OEM type of testing. They just don't have the resources, they make changes based on failures which the customer encountered. Funniest one was an aftermarket company which sold a heavy sway bar, I think it was for a Honda. So sure enough, after some track time, customers were finding their sway bar mounts literally tore off the frame. It's aways a risk buying aftermarket parts since they don't fully test them, only thing you can do is some research to determine if others experienced any problems. I work in the OEM world, we don't sell parts to the public, we need to comply to full range of the OEM vehicle tests / validation / standards before any of our products are production approved.. Just be sure before mixing and matching aftermarket and OEM parts that it's a reliable setup. The race world can be different, it not necessary to design to full jounce, the setup is usually so stiff, and the vehicle won't typically encounter *** holes, various loading, liabilities, etc.. as found on the street. Another point that a purely race intended part may not be ideal for street use, why you usually see a sticker or fine print: for off road use only, to cover their butts regarding liabilities.

That's the great thing about forums such as the VCA site, easy enough to find out if anyone experienced problems before you make a purchase. Sorry for the lengthy babbling reply.. Good luck.

Last edited:

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take a look a the drive srt site. They are the same double adjustable as the new ACR is being fitted with. If you would like to see what the Gen 2 KW look like go to the dc performance site and they have pics there.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how to lower the acr shock. Does it just get screwed in more? I can see 3 or 4 inches of threads at the bottom of each shock.
Thanks
Gary

J ACR2000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The front Konis on my ACR begin leaking at about15000 miles. I had never touched the adjustments. I sent these two to Tru Choice to be rebuilt. One had leaked to much oil and damaged itbeyond repair, they builta new shock for this one. other one was rebuildable. 1300 bucks including Dyno.Back two began leaking a year later. Sent them same place ,both rebuildable .700 and change. While the fronts worked great , right after i reinstalled the back two i aquired i rattle sounds like a tailpipe but ive had it in Dodge shop and my shop. can find nothing.Will be callin tru choice this week for permission to return to check problem. Any one else ha this problem??Answers.?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960