Added "water wetter" and BEAT ILLSMOQ....

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I stopped at my local Kragens and bought some water wetter. Added a few cap fulls. I was able to walk him pretty hard today. The only other difference is Stop tech rotors and gears. But I swear by the water wetter. :lmao:

So we had ran eachother last week. Both cars have a Paxton, headers and corsa. Both make very similar power. But I put in a Quaife with 3:33 gears (thanks Parts Rack)and when we ran last week I slightly pulled him. We would start in 3rd and becaue of the gears I was in the boost sooner,by the time I shifted 4th, I had almost a car on him. But as I shifted, he was still pullin hard in 3rd and would come back up on my back fender,then as we were both in 4th, Id slowly start creeping head again. I still had him, but it was fairly close.

Now fast forward to today. I just installed the Stoptech rotors (thanks Parts Rack) and that is the only thing that changed. We both had passengers. Normally we run alone and he wieghs less then me by 40 lbs. Today with our passengers we had a combined identical weight. Now I was going to get a 08 hood for same money i spent on rotors, but I figured rotors would help handling and performance better then hood. I didnt expect them to help this much. Also on a side note, with the rotors the car handled alot better up in the hills yesterday.

So here are 2 of our runs, first one is a 3rd gear run to redline and let off, 2nd vid is in 2nd gear and shifting into 3rd. We drove down to Mexico to run today ona old stretch of road just south of the border. its a good spot to go to.

You must be registered for see images

2nd gear

You must be registered for see images

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
did you just add the water wetter directly into the coolant system or did you mix it first?

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow did he pull his chute early...........................................

What was the weight difference between the rotors?

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Water wetter added direct to engine coolant and Paxton cooler. It helped in my street bikes. To race you couldnt use coolant. With water wetter I noticed a big temp difference on bikes. So I thought id try it for fun in car. Best reslutls are No coolant only wetter. But for street cars they recomend atleast 15% coolant in system. They claim from 8-20 degrees cooler depending on usage and how much coolant is in system. Its been 80+ degrees here and car gets warm with A/C on even with fans set to turn on early and 170 tstat, so I thought Id give it a try.

And as for rotor weight, I didnt weigh, but i read its like 6-7lbs( edit* I Just read someone wieghed them and saved 38lbs total, so 9.5lbs per rotor.) difference per rotor. I could tell a difference holding them in my hands. And since its rotational mass, you notice a difference. i heard its something like 4 times the weight savings when its rotational mass. Maybe someone smart can chime in.
Either way, there was a noticeable difference from last week to this week.

Last edited:

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have new rotors on the way. Some new Baer Eradispeed's from partsrack. I think they are similar weight to the stoptechs. I wonder how much more difference you would have noticed with a lighter flywheel as well. that is on my upgrade list since I am running out of good bang/buck items.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
why didn't you guys have the top down? It was too hot outside...

I look like a tomatoe. My finace loves the sun and made me put the top down yesterday. I was sweating the whole time and got fried. Its been a boiling hot 85 degrees last few days. If its above 70, the top stays up and the a/c comes on. I get red easy, guess I wasnt made for a vert. lol

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ILLSMOQ- With your extra horses and torque, do you think you can pull him with just the Stoptech upgrade? Looks like you did a great job with MikeR's Paxton and Quaife installation!
As far as rotational mass is concerned how do your cars compare in rim weight and size?

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ILLSMOQ- With your extra horses and torque, do you think you can pull him with just the Stoptech upgrade? Looks like you did a great job with MikeR's Paxton and Quaife installation!
As far as rotational mass is concerned how do your cars compare in rim weight and size?

He doesnt have extra ponies or torque. Our dyno numbers are almost identical, though I tweaked the tune on mine a few weeks back. We have both hit dyno #'s of 660-670 rwhp and 620-630 rwtq. And last week before the Rotors, i was still pulling him with just the gears. We just didnt expect the rotors to make this much difference. Last week I barely put a car on him and then it stayed like that til 150ish when we shut down. So even if he does rotors, he will still need gears. He isnt very happy with me putting 4 + cars on him on that last run.:lmao:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He doesnt have extra ponies or torque. Our dyno numbers are almost identical, though I tweaked the tune on mine a few weeks back. We have both hit dyno #'s of 660-670 rwhp and 620-630 rwtq. And last week before the Rotors, i was still pulling him with just the gears. We just didnt expect the rotors to make this much difference. Last week I barely put a car on him and then it stayed like that til 150ish when we shut down. So even if he does rotors, he will still need gears. He isnt very happy with me putting 4 + cars on him on that last run.:lmao:

.......you are correct in that I'm not very happy with you putting 4+ cars on me. :nono:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry, my info was a 3-4 weeks old, He did have a gleam in his eye when he told me he had few ponies on you...nothing like good old fashioned competition:D
You really walked a way from him today.... too bad you didn't have another camera in his car to record his look of disbelief!

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ken, thanks for the compliments...on the rotational mass; MikeR:quack: has Iforged, I have HRE and we both run the same tires.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah....I knew I should have swaped out his 8 pound pully for a 5 pound pully:rolaugh:

on the wheels...I think they are probably similar in wieght...don't know for sure though.

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, Smoke gets very :curse: when he loses. He will:comp2: or :comp1: if provoked. I have seen it. I was reigning :famous: for 3 years. Now I just want to :boozer:, look at :flirt:, or even :drive: my baby on a :sun: day. These two have :box:for years and there is no end in sight! It is always a good:eater: to watch and I even like to :poke: them both to get them going again. They will :bdh: forever if they could. I usually just call them both :mf: or :+: but at the end of the day it always puts the biggest :bigsmile: on my face to watch them go at it!!

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you went from 1 car length to 4 car lengths with just a rotor change?

I have always been told every 10lbs of rotational mass is roughly .1 of a second off the 1/4 mile. Ofcourse that figure lowers when you start getting up into higher power levels.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike, how much were the 333's?

I swapped out the whole rear end. ILLSMOQ had done a oil change on my rear end and metal chunks came out. My posi wasnt working well and id lay one leggers. So I called around and got prices for a exchange rear end unit with the Quaife and 3:33's installed. Jon B at Parts rack had the best price, it was like $2900 shipped. Well worth it, easy swap out of just the rear end, all the hard work had already been done. The unit is all ready to go when you get it, then you ship them back your old rear end as a core exchange.

I had been quoted locally about $1300-1500 for just swapping gears in my stock rear end. Im glad i went the route i did. The quaife works well.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! I never know rotational mass affected straightline performance like that! That is amazing! MikeR, you mentioned that Illsmoq would start catching you at the top of the gears just before shifting. Does the 3:33 maintain its advantage all the way thru say 160 mph or will Illsmoq begin to pull you at the higher speeds say past 145 mph or so?

Oh, and where in the hell do you buy water wetter?

Great Videos, great info and great runs!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have heard varied opinions about water wetter and if it is good for engine internals and or aluminum parts, I have not seen any proof, but have been told by some NOT to use it, it may have potential for doing damage. :dunno:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have heard varied opinions about water wetter and if it is good for engine internals and or aluminum parts, I have not seen any proof, but have been told by some NOT to use it, it may have potential for doing damage. :dunno:

I've heard good and bad about it as well (corrosion) and I've never had a car with a heat problem so I've stayed away from it.

jimmy6383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! I never know rotational mass affected straightline performance like that! That is amazing! MikeR, you mentioned that Illsmoq would start catching you at the top of the gears just before shifting. Does the 3:33 maintain its advantage all the way thru say 160 mph or will Illsmoq begin to pull you at the higher speeds say past 145 mph or so?

Oh, and where in the hell do you buy water wetter?

Great Videos, great info and great runs!

From what I understand MikeR meant because he has shorter gears he would have to shift sooner while ILLSMOQ still had some room left, so ILLSMOQ would gain some ground while MikeR shifted. I was thinking with that being the case MikeR would gain the ground back when ILLSMOQ had to shift. But I'm sure MikeR will chime in.

Last edited:

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what I understand MikeR meant because he has shorter gears he would have to shift sooner while ILLSMOQ still had some room left, so ILLSMOQ would gain some ground while MikeR shifted. I was thinking with that being the case MikeR would gain the ground back when ILLSMOQ had to shift. But I'm sure MikeR will chime in.

Thats what I think too.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Before the rotors, with just the gears as only difference, I had him barely to 150ish. I would pull about one car,then as I shifted he would pull back up on my rear fender, then I would start to edge him as I got higher in rpms quicker then he did. But he was still always right there, very close.

But with the rotors I dont think he would have ever caught me until I hit top speed. I never expected rotors to do so much either. It should be a advertisement for Stoptech rotors, because they work!!!

Kurtis is supposed to be doing 3:55's in his stock rear, so we will see what happens with that. Oh, and he's getting rotors too :D. So he will then have a slight gear advantage. I think the 3:33's are pefect for a Paxton car, but havent driven with 3:55's I guess we will see....

And when we race again, if we dont have passengers in car to equal the wieght out, Im making him put a 50lb bag of dog food in passenger seat so that the playing field is even. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang