Advice needed in regards to a recent accident (insurance etc.)

Juice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last Sunday I was involved in an accident in which the other party's insurance company has already accepted full liability.

Problem is, I don't want the car anymore. I don't want to wait the 2 months to get it fixed. I don't want to sell a damaged car once it is fixed. I don't want to have to incur the depreciation if I do sell it. And most importantly I don't want to drive around a car that's been damaged the way it has.

Talked to one of their body shops and they said it's probably not bad enough to be totaled. But they'd have to strip it down to be sure. But if they do strip it down then I can't take it to another shop.

Does anybody have any experience or advice about how I could or should proceed?

I'm not looking to fenagle the insurance company, or to get anything I don't deserve. I just don't think it's fair that I'd have to incur the depreciation of a damaged car during resale, and I don't think I should have to drive around in a car that I don't feel absolutly safe driving.

You must be registered for see images attach

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't trust anybody involved in the crash. I am still fighting with the dealership (club ex-friend) wrecking my car last November!

Call JonB?

Vipers are not easy to drive - even fresh from the factory. Tires, suspension, alignment, etc.

Every detail matters. If they dont fix it perfectly, it will never drive the same, especially at higher speeds or the limits.

OP
OP
J

Juice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Just had a conversation with Jon and he was extremely helpful.

However if anybody's got some more input I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks again.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortunately there is nobody to speak to here on this forum that is going to help make the insurance company give you what you want. You will have to negotiate with the insurance company directly. The good news is that it is in fact usually negotiable. The bad news is it is an expensive car.

You haven't said what it is that you are looking for. On one end, you said, you didn't want anything that you didn't deserve but on the other hand, you want the car totalled. The insurance company is not likely willing to total the car if it in fact, is not a complete loss. If they total the car, they in fact own the car. Then they have to try and fix it and sell it to recoup their money. If we were talking a Ford Focus, not too hard. A Viper would be more difficult. If their shop is not willing to total it out, then you will have to have a shop of your own look at it. Then you can negotiate. You should have taken it to a shop of your choice in the first place. Your best bet just may be to just get if fixed, and sell it. While they may, if it is determined that it is not a complete loss, I'd be surprised if they will give you the money to take it off your hands.

I've had quite a bit of dealing with insurance companies over business cars in the past. I do understand what you are saying. I am the same way. Once a car is wrecked, other than very minor damage, the car for me also loses its allure and I usually don't want it anymore.

Best to wait to see what their shop comes up with. Have one of yours look at it then negotiate.

jimchris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as repairs I'd send it to 5D Collision in Champaign Illinois. I just had some work done there and seen cars from all over. He was delivering one back to Texas last Sat. and another was to arrive from Georgia soon. Many Vipers there for repair, this guy knows Vipers. His web site is Home

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you keep the car after the repairs. You can ask the repairing insurance company to make up the difference in what your car is worth after repairs. Had this done in an accident to my db7 didn't make me happy but did recoup some of the loss. Good luck.

ViperDreams

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FYI, just because they accepted their insured at 100% liable for the accident doesnt mean they are going to pay for the whole thing. Property damage minimums are different in ever state. I know the minimum in NY is $10,000, the average is $25,000 and high is $50,000. Meaning that it may not be their insurance who pays for the whole thing anyway. It might fall back onto your policy under the under/un insured limit. Again, I'm not sure how this works in CA but you may want to look into it. You may have to battle with two insurance companies.
Your car looks like an '06 so the value is around $50k. Ask the repair shop what they think it will cost to fix. If it has frame damage (which it looks like it may) it will probably be pretty close. Meet with the adjuster when he comes to look at the car and explain your view. Sometimes they will work with you.
Good luck.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From looking at the pics it doesnt look like its enough to get totalled. Since it is a third party you can try to deminished value route but plan to fight for that and then it still may not be enough.
My last car which was hit in the rear had a ton more damage then yours and my adjust had a hard time totalling mine. Even with new dodge parts and labor, thats gonna be hard to total but i know what you mean about not wanting the car anymore. After mine was totalled I had no desire for it anymore.

Good Luck.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Tough deal...sad!! Try to dial back your disappointment, sense of loss, and possible outrage...and get an appointment with a high class, well known, possibly expensive, consumer oriented attorney who is not in bed with the locals and unafraid of the insurance companies. Present your case during an exploratory interview, and see if he/she can formulate a plan with a reasonable chance to "make you whole".
I have seen some rather impressive, successful outcomes amongst friends with the right team and approach.

Best of luck !!!

V

Venomiss

Mentioned this to you in a PM but since nobody has brought this up:

Depreciation. Who would be experts on about depreciation in Vipers?
Any big dealerships who sell them 24/7.
Get a least three quotes with what a regular Viper like yours would be selling for and what a Viper with a carfax accident history would be selling for.
Are you replacing this Viper with a new one? Perhaps that would be a motivating factor for some dealers to work with you via a trade thus you would not have to worry about a sale if you have to keep it.
Another point is to tell the insurance you only want it worked on by qualified Viper Techs.
That might mean transporting it to and from quite a distance along with getting a quote from them after it's been pulled apart. More co$t to fix it correctly. The other thing to ask the insurance is about what kind of parts they will cover new or used. Important to know and stand your ground for the best possible replacements that will be covered under warranty.
Document everything that has been done or purchased on the Viper. Tires, clearbra, anything and have paperwork to back it up. Since this car hasn't been in any magazines and is the current body style(not Gen1 or 2 that are no longer made) that won't come into play for evaluation of it's worth.
Ask a time frame of fixing and figure how much a comparable rental will cost for those months without your car. Those things add up. Make it with an equitable rental-not a spec car.
There are other common sense options for different accident scenarios but this is a start. Keep a camera in your car for emergencies and accidents.
Good luck!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Picture only shows door, quarter panel and wheel bent. Looks pretty easy to fix from the pic. May be some rear frame damage, but Vipers are built with modular frames.

Ted

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hit them up for what is called "diminished value", it has worked for me in the past.

Herc