Advice on going from 06 coupe to 08 vert...

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have a 2006 blue/silver coupe that has 2200 miles on it that just sits in the garage. I am thinking of changing it out to a 2008 vert so I can ejoy the car a little more. I love the car but I miss the open air fun of a vert.

Has anyone else done this? Any advice on what my coupe is worth? :dunno::confused::dunno:

Thanks in advanced.

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My advice....get the vert. it is 2 kinds of fun. I had a vette coupe a few years ago and traded it for a vert. Now I have the SRT. Two different experiences rolled into one. Can't be beat..in my opinion. Go for it.

Reaction score
I've had my top UP only once, unless it was an 08 ACR, I'd buy the vert.

But then again, I live in SUNNY south Florida.

I also noticed you can see so much better out of the vert when the tops down, than when the tops up.

I can't see sh_t without the top down.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How bad you want an '08 depends on how much a hit you want to take on selling or worst, trading in your '06. I thought about giving up my '05 for an '08 but I'd be crazy to take a $20k hit on something I've owned for only two years. $20k to me is not worth an additional 100 stock horsepower.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if u just want a vert you could always just buy a gen 3 vert without much cost if u exchange your 06 coupe....i think the vert is a no brainer but track guys prefer the coupe..... if u upgrade to the 08 your not just getting 100 more hp but a smoother car all around plus an extra 50+ hp with just headers...make some calls and see what u can get for your 06.... there was a green vert / black stripes just 70 miles south of me but they sold it over the weekend...

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You bought the Viper 2 years ago and only put 2200 miles on it. Thats less than 100 miles a month. Do you think you will drive a new one much more?

question to all. Is this the normal milage you put on your Vipers? I know that most of you buy them for weekend toys and a little track time. Just curious.

musicncars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You bought the Viper 2 years ago and only put 2200 miles on it. Thats less than 100 miles a month. Do you think you will drive a new one much more?

question to all. Is this the normal milage you put on your Vipers? I know that most of you buy them for weekend toys and a little track time. Just curious.

Uh.......better be careful when throwing the "T' word around here, I mistakenly referred to my Viper as a toy, as in weekend use, and got reamed for it. apparently, these are very serious pieces of machinery that are meant for men only.:D

also, the convertible, to me, is the only way to go for a sports car, especially a two seater. Im just in that phase of my life now. I love crusing through the mountains with the top down. Its amazing.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As always, I am biased as hell!:D I see no point in having sports car unless its a vert! For racing, you simply put the top up and where your helmet.

There is nothing sexier than a 500+ hp car w/ the top down...and that makes the Z06 (and soon the ZR1) guys so jealous they want to puke! I admit the GTS is one very gorgeous car! But for me? Gotta go *******!:headbang:

musicncars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As always, I am biased as hell!:D I see no point in having sports car unless its a vert! For racing, you simply put the top up and where your helmet.

There is nothing sexier than a 500+ hp car w/ the top down...and that makes the Z06 (and soon the ZR1) guys so jealous they want to puke! I admit the GTS is one very gorgeous car! But for me? Gotta go *******!:headbang:

double that.:headbang::headbang:

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you ask, I just traded my 2006 FE Coupe for my current '08 -- I don't regret it at all. I'm usually a coupe kind of guy, but after giving it some serious thought, and coupled with the great weather around here, I gave in. Also, the body style has really grown on me over the years, after seeing a lot of verts on the road. I also considered the rarity of the color combo and the fact that these might be the last Vipers made (hopefully that's not true though). Made sense to me in the long run. :dunno::)

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also the vert top itself is very high quality...doesn't fade,stays clean , very sturdy when up and easy to put up and down

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
So here's a really crazy thought I just had. Talk to Jeff Lemke about converting your coupe to a vert. As other's have mentioned, you are going to take a beating on trade in value and there are a number of parts dealers that would probably love to work with you. The hard top on the coupe just bolts on and the process might be easier than one would expect.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this particular case, it's too bad you don't have a ZO6.

You could just drive it around until the roof blows off!:lmao::rolaugh::D

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here's a really crazy thought I just had. Talk to Jeff Lemke about converting your coupe to a vert. As other's have mentioned, you are going to take a beating on trade in value and there are a number of parts dealers that would probably love to work with you. The hard top on the coupe just bolts on and the process might be easier than one would expect.

That's a great idea and it can be done, but I think the cost of a assembled soft top might be really high. It would take some investigation.

Jeff

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you will gain anything by switching from an 06 Coupe to an 08 Vert for the $30K you will spend difference. Not a smart chocie in my book.

If you feel you must spend extra money for pleasure, put it into a more exciting daily driver, it will have a more encompassing effect on your life. Then again, I don't knowwhat you drive daily, but that's what I would do. Your 06 is perfect but I am biased becuase it looks just like mine. :)

OP
OP
R

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this particular case, it's too bad you don't have a ZO6.

You could just drive it around until the roof blows off!:lmao::rolaugh::D

Funny that you suggested that....I sold a 2006 Z06 to buy the Viper Coupe. Not only did my Z06 let go of its roof, it dropped a valve into the motor on my second month of ownership!

OP
OP
R

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

What is a slightly used 06 coupe going for today? Any ideas?

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you will be hit with more than a 20k difference..like someone else mentioned closer to 30. I have an '05 and there is just something about the ******* feature. Besides, the car just looks plain nasty with the top down. Then again, on somedays I want the newest and latest. Check out Buhler's site everday. Just a matter of time before I cave in.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get a used coupe for $58K-$65K depending on condition and mileage. Take your car to A.R.T and for about $10K installed and tuned, you can have near 700 HP by going with a Paxton setup. :headbang::headbang:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get a used coupe for $58K-$65K depending on condition and mileage. Take your car to A.R.T and for about $10K installed and tuned, you can have near 700 HP by going with a Paxton setup. :headbang::headbang:

SO if u add the 10k in mods that is 75k spent on a used coupe with close to 700hp...... There was a new blue 08 vert on ebay for 83k(paid 84k for my red vert) last week... If u add belanger system for around 5k then you are at 88k and close to 700hp without the headaches of a supercharger

SO you have equal hp cars but for an extra 13k you are gettin all the improvements of an 08 and much more choice of options(interior,rims) ... no brainer...

If you already own a gen 3 then it all depends on what u bought your gen 3 for in terms of what the upgrade cost is gonna be....i put 20k miles on my gen 3 but only took a $12k hit when i sold it myself...

the vert is also a great option... i took my 3 year old out for a drive last evening with the top down... with the top down you can hear that much improved 08 exhaust note better.. also my son loves doing the stadium wave(both arms above his head) on the hwy

Last edited: