AEM and Split Second

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1998 GTS with an AEM on it. Just installed a Paxton and my buddy (who I purchased the Paxton from) said that because I have an AEM that I don't need the Split Second controller. The guys that tuned my car set up the auxiliary fuel pumps to come on with the ignition. The car is not running properly yet and seems to be flooding out - so much so that the fuel is getting into the oil pan! Can the AEM be set up to turn the pumps on only at boost like they should be or will I have to add the Split Second to do this. Thanks in advance, Ron.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id be more worried about your rings and cylinder walls at this point.

get that oil changed and out of that engine and then call 954-434-9356 and ask for doug, he will help you out

HollywoodGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes your AEM unit can do that. That tune doesn't sound safe seeing how he setup the fuel. Sounds like you need someone to go through your setup. There's a lot of great things the AEM unit can do.

You need to find someone that knows AEM inside and out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
anaconda666

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will give Doug a call. Thanks. I will change the oil tonight.

Being in Toronto Canada it is very hard to find someone who knows the AEM. Here is who I am using - they come highly recommended. http://magnusmotorsports.com/

Marco says he is one of the few people in Canada that knows the AEM inside and out. I will give him the benefit of the doubt this once. They are going to pick up the car next week to sort it out. I just want to find out as much as possible ahead of time so I know what can and can't be done with my setup. Thank you.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you install the FMU from Paxton? It looks like a flying saucer and has two fuel lines going to it and a vacuum line. The FMU diverts excess pressure back to the tank if you're not under boost. It receives a boost signal from a vacuum/boost reference such as the vacuum line attached to the brake booster. The boost pressure overrides the internal spring and allows higher pressure to reach the fuel rails and hence the injectors. Without boost the spring prevents excess pressure from reaching the rails by diverting fuel to the return line to the tank. The springs can be changed to alter the point where higher pressure reaches the injectors.

I've always been under the impression that it didn't matter so much what the pressure was before the FMU since it won't reach the injectors. I used to have a 65 Mustang with a Paxton and a Weldon pump capable of putting out well over 100 psi. The fuel pressure as measured at the rails was 40 or so until we went to boost, then the FMU allowed higher pressure through. The pump provided a constant pressure regardless of boost level.

Bottom line, IMO, you do not have the FMU connected properly or the internal spring is wrong for your application. It is true that the Split Second controller is set up to turn on the two auxiliary pumps at different boost levels but my guess is that this is so they aren't running unnecessarily when they are not needed. I'm not an expert but I believe I could turn both pumps on all the time in my 06 supercharged FE Coupe and not have an issue.

Good luck.

OP
OP
anaconda666

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the vaccuum operated controller is there. I will get them to check the plumbing on it next week. Thank you for your response- a lot of good info!

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the vaccuum operated controller is there. I will get them to check the plumbing on it next week. Thank you for your response- a lot of good info!

Something still sounds wrong with the FMU setup or the tune. It shouldn't allow flooding of the engine due to higher fuel pressure from the pumps even if the AEM turns them on. The AEM tune might be crap though.

OP
OP
anaconda666

anaconda666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talked to Doug today - he was a great help! Thanks again.

Did some experimenting on my own tonight:

Drained the old oil, refiled with new Mobil 1. Took out the fuse that goes to the auxiliary fuel pumps to dissable them - car starts and runs great( keeping it below 2500 rpm and not gunning it so the boost does not come on). The setup on the AEM is much better than before I added the supercharger. Car will go back to Magnus Motorsports next week to tie the pumps back in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave