AEM vs SCT

Viper Scot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've just had a Paxton SC kit fitted and am trying to sort out my map now. I have an SCT controller and was initially thinking of going down that route (either getting a ready-made flash tune or buying the SCT Pro Racer software and making a map). But that seems an awful 'clunky' way of doing things (I can't log AFR wide-band, have to use data logging scan tool to see how the map looks then modify on the lap-top manually and re-upload that map).

So now I'm toying with the idea of AEM. Upsides - very user friendly, lot of functionality (some of which may become more relevant as I tune further), 'live' mapping and logging and (last but not least) wide-band AFR logging. But downsides - more expensive and, crucially, does it have enough outputs for the large number of injectors and ignition system of the Viper (I have a 1996 RT/10)?

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance!

britospeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AEM has intermittent hardware issues. You may get lucky and not have any problems, but you may have problems. I've had problems with the IAC circuit, the charging circuit, the injectors and grounding problems. This was on different AEM's not on one unit. I've also had a few that never gave a single problem. When they work, there fine.

SCT has it's limitations. For me the biggest is the fact you are not tunning live. The other is when you add a 2bar MAP sensor you loose half the load resolution. I've made it run fine on my TT SRT. Just understand the limitations and know there is a possibilty you may not get it 100% because of the loss of resolution.

In my opinion the better option is to go MoTec or Pectel. While they are both more expensive, they are far and away better systems that will not give you any problems.

Michael

viperB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi,
Contact DC Performance.They have tune many TT and SC Viper.BTW I've also heard lots of good things about BritoSpeed.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion the better option is to go MoTec or Pectel. While they are both more expensive, they are far and away better systems that will not give you any problems.

Michael

Very true but...

AEM....$3-4K

Motec/Pectel.... $15k plus depending on options and install....:omg:

If you are basically on the street and you are stock with a blower... Aem has all you would need.

The advanced traction control systems help deal with boost related traction issues too....

They can be pita. I have a backup for my TT....:rolleyes:

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both AEM and SCT will give you better control than a split second controller (piggy back system). If you have a great grasp on tuning I would suggest the AEM over the SCT because of the launch control,nitrous/**** control,boost control and data logging capabilities.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i find it very hard to believe mine could run better with an AEM or SCT. (other than last week where my battery and/or plugs caused an issue)

but im certainly no expert

Reaction score
This one was tuned with the Split Sec unit just the other day registering 99 degrees in the dyno room. I added a slight amount of fuel after the pull. The car is a 2005 SRT10 on pump 93 octane on a conservative tune and runs like stock until you go into boost. It actually made more hp than what is shown.

Regards,
Doug

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456