Aero coupe wing is obviously hollow!!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After hand washing and drying the car the factory wing on my 09 drained for an hour or two down the end plates. Then after sitting for a WEEK and driving it, more water came out. Nice seal--not. What the ----

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there any way to unbolt the end pieces and make some sort of gasket? that may sound dumb but it might be your best option.

Andy:drive:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After hand washing and drying the car the factory wing on my 09 drained for an hour or two down the end plates. Then after sitting for a WEEK and driving it, more water came out. Nice seal--not. What the ----

One of the reasons I use a leaf blower to dry the car... My GTS has a million places where water hides and then manages to drip out when the body panel is hot - leaving a hard-water mark. The leaf blower knocks it all out right away - and saves you from the little micro-scratches that seem inevitable from hand drying with cloth.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes there is Andy. Good idea and may do this. The leaf blower idea is good too.

Compressed air works great as well. I usually fire up the compressor and blow everything out of the cracks after I dry the car, and then go and re dry what ever else happens to blow out.

Good luck man!

Andy:2tu:

Blazeone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since you are hand washing your car why don't you just not spray the water directly at the wing. Sounds simple to me.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like a leaf blower/ compressed air is the ticket then. Sounds like stripping the bolts would be the last thing you would want to do.

Andy

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my aero car. I use a leaf blower but water still seems to leak out over time. You can try to direct water away from the end plates but water always seems to collect there due to the curvature of the wing.

I use a CR Spotless water system so that helps me. It would be nice to stop the drips though.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More info please!

Here is their direct website: CRSpotless.com - Wash, Rinse, and Walk Away

This water system came highly recommended from another VCA member. I bought one a couple of years ago. I was a bit skeptical at first because I am extremely particular about detailing. I can tell you for certain that it works 100% to their claims.

I still use a leaf blower to blow most of the water off the car, but I no longer worry so much about the drips that remain since they dry spot free. I highly recommend.

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OP,

My ACR was the same way. I took the end-plates off (you'll need a tamper-proof allen key) and opened the trunk to let the water drain out. Then I used black silicon sealant (can be purchased at any auto-parts store) to seal the end-plate to the wing. After that, no more water got in.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys another option for you if you don't want to seal the ends with a gasket maker is to apply some blue painters tape around the edges before you wash the car. When I detail cars with hood scoops and such I will often do this to keep water from falling into the engine compartment.

Just another thought that could work.

Andy Wheeler:2tu:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not drill a small hole on the underside of the main plane of the wing, at each end by the end plate? This will allow all the H2O to drain at once and really won't effect the aero in any noticable way.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys another option for you if you don't want to seal the ends with a gasket maker is to apply some blue painters tape around the edges before you wash the car. When I detail cars with hood scoops and such I will often do this to keep water from falling into the engine compartment.

Just another thought that could work.

Andy Wheeler:2tu:
You know, after all these replies of which all are good, this sounds the best. The sad part is I paid almost $100,000 out the door for a new car that has a leaky wing, mushy clutch, CEL, limp mode home, delivery and paint issues. No wonder the imports kick our ass in sales and reliability. 600 hp Honda, sign me up.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the model. The Ford Fusion is a more reliable car, so they say, than its Japanese rivals in that category. Also, when mighty infallible Toyota released its newest Tundra, it ate camshafts, had tranny failures, all kinds of things they were supposedly above. I don't think any auto maker is above reproach. Everyone has heard how great BMW's are, yet I'd never own one past warranty. Same goes for a lot of supposedly superior euro cars. Volkwagen and Audi still can't figure out how to make a car with a trustworthy electrical system. An electrical problem could cost a lot more to diagnose and solve than seemingly more serious mechanical problems.

If a car is handbuilt by actual people, mistakes happen, I agree with your asumption that for this kind of money you expect perfection, but I wouldn't consider any of the issues you've raised to be serious.
Also I wouldn't consider the wings water-tightness bad Quality Control, just the nature of the design. It obviously wasn't designed to be water tight, seeing as it doesn't come with seals.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The link states...

Need to Restrict Water Flow to 4 Gallons Per Minute or Less with Supplied Nozzle on FLAT Pattern or Optional Pressure Washer

How is the pressure out of the filtration system?

Water pressure is about 25% less than the norm but always adequate for the Viper as mine never sees a wet road. On every day cars, if you need to rinse heavy dirt or need good pressure to spray for the wheel wells, you will be wishing for more.

I actually put together a bypass valve system and sometimes only use the CR spotless water on the final rinse. If I need high pressure, I switch the valve to bypass the CR spotless system. If you like, I can take a photo of my valve setup and post.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the reasons I use a leaf blower to dry the car... My GTS has a million places where water hides and then manages to drip out when the body panel is hot - leaving a hard-water mark. The leaf blower knocks it all out right away - and saves you from the little micro-scratches that seem inevitable from hand drying with cloth.

Same here, works great.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You know, after all these replies of which all are good, this sounds the best. The sad part is I paid almost $100,000 out the door for a new car that has a leaky wing, mushy clutch, CEL, limp mode home, delivery and paint issues. No wonder the imports kick our ass in sales and reliability. 600 hp Honda, sign me up.

I hear ya man don't get frustrated ( would be too). Get these little issues knocked out and get to enjoying the car.

I will be moving home to Lake Conroe in about a month and a half I look forward to see your car. I know Nineball lives out your way in the woodlands as well.

Good luck man.

Andy Wheeler