Aftermarket Shocks - Mounting the Canister

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently Installed a set of Penske double adjustable shocks. There are some variables in the mounting that you have to contend with, that is the reason for this post. Keep in mind there are probably several theories on how to mount a shock, this is only one. Hopefully it helps someone in the future. As a starting point one side of the shock has the rebound adjustment. The compression adjustment is located on a remote canister.

Here are some of the mounting issues:

1. As stated, one side of the shock has the rebound adjuster. You can mount the shock so the adjuster is at the top or bottom when installed in the car. It is easier to mount the shock with the adjuster at the top, however, there is a good reason (reduces the live weight) for a track car to mount the shock so the adjuster is at the bottom.

2. For simplicity sake I installed the shock so that the rebound adjustment was at the top. This also allows you to adjust the rebound with the tires on the ground.

a. Turned all the way in (close) the rebound is full firm.

b. Turned 25 revolutions out is full soft.

c. Depending on the tire size you can adjust the rebound on the rear with tire sitting on the ground. You might have to lift the front an inch for adjustment, however, you still do not have to get under the car.

3. Compression Adjustment - this is a remote canister attached to the shock with a high pressure hose.

a. You cannot remove the hose once it comes from the factory. If you loosen the hose it has to go back to the factory.

b. Turned all the way in (close) on the canister is full soft, 22 revolutions out is full firm.

c. If you do not specify the hose length, it will be either 18" or 24" long. This forces you to mount the canister under the car and will require you to use a jack and get under the car to change the adjustment.

d. If you specify a 60" hose you can mount both the front and rear canisters in the car, therefore, allowing you to adjust the compression without getting under the car. A picture of the front canister location is below. The rear mount picture did not come out, I will take another and post it next week.

As a sidebar, the Penske people are very accommodating and a pleasure to work with.

For me, having easy access to both shock adjustments without getting under the car is important, therefore, the reason I mounted the shocks so the rebound adjusters were at the top and the canister hoses are 60".

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine