Air Bag Light after lowering seat install

TCurtner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help - I temporarily put in a scat seat to lower, and give my 6'3" frame some more room in my 2008 Viper. Moved the (don't know part name) air bag collision sensor (?) to below bracket, grounded unit (as if still screwed to bracket), and replicated the seat distance center, by attaching ferrous metal strip to unit same distance as maximum seat back causes distance to be. After all this, airbag error light comes on! Any ideas? I did try disconnecting battery for some time, but I suspect there is an airbag deployment backup battery somewhere?
Any ideas anyone?

OP
OP
T

TCurtner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the sensor is actually touching the metal it may through a fault code. Dumb question but did the sensor get plugged in?

Yes, everything is plugged in. No, to replicate the distance that the sensor is from the metal below the stock seat, I duct-taped around a small bar of ferrous metal, then attached to the sensor. This assembly is mounted below the new seat.
I'm surprised the system is throwing a fault, unless, because I didn't disconnect the battery before proceeding, I caused a problem, or I have inadvertently kinked/broken a wire in one of the harnesses.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Per an earlier post from the GK, the sensor works based on Hall Effect, so degree of magnetic force is what controls it. Maybe the tape wrapped steel piece is still too close to the sensor?? If everything is plugged in, it seems like it must be either too close or too far from the sensor. I forget the measurement on mine when I did it, but it seems the stand-off was much more than just the thickness of duct tape.

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me try this with a picture. Here is a picture of the bracket I made for mine. As you can see, the stand off is quite a bit more than it sounds like yours has. Don't know if this helps, but it is worth passing along. Goo
picture.php
d luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte