Air bag on or off??

MrLucky1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know that proper answer to this question regarding child trasnport. I have a six year old who likes to ride on small trips in the SRT. I use a booster seat. The owners manual is only clear on turning the airbag off when using a rearward facing car seat. Any help would be appreciated.

rac156

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I understand it the airbag should be off with all child seats.

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I turn mine off with my 5 year old, actually he will not let me back out of the driveway without making sure the 'airbag' off light is on.

dave

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With rearward facing I believe it is required to be off. For forward facing I am not sure. The SRT has the new multi-stage airbags which I believe are supposed to allow child and small adult usage. This may be a good question for the "ask DC" section. Jay, what do you think?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Found these suggestions on the web:

"• Never put a rearward-facing baby seat in the front if there is a passenger airbag.

• Do not put a forward-facing child seat in the front, unless there is no other choice.

In this case, make sure the car seat is as far back as possible, the child seat is securely fitted and the child is securely held by the seat belt or child seat harness, keeping the child as far as possible from the dashboard. Ask the vehicle manufacturer how far the airbag comes out as it deploys and whether it is safe to use a child seat.

• If there are side airbags, make sure that the child restraint does not rest against the door, that the child sits properly in the seat and does not lean close to, or against, the door or window. Ask the vehicle manufacturer how far the airbag comes out as it deploys and whether it is safe to use a child seat in the front.

• If there are other types of airbag in the car, ask the vehicle manufacturer how far they come out as they deploy and whether it is safe to use a child seat near the airbag."

...and this:

"Never put a rear-facing restraint in front with a passenger airbag. The baby's head would be too close to the airbag. Instead, secure the infant restraint to the center back seat.

Should you ever consider an on/off switch for a passenger airbag? A switch so you can occasionally put a baby up front might seem like a good idea, but if you're in a hurry it's easy to forget about the switch. Besides, it's always safer to ride in back. So there's only a rare need for an on/off switch -- for example, when an infant with medical problems requires constant observation and the driver is the only other person in the vehicle. Then there might be no choice except to put the baby up front, and a passenger airbag would present a risk. Of course, paying constant attention to a baby distracts from driving and involves its own risks.

What if you transport too many infants or small children to put them all in a back seat? It's okay for an older child to ride up front, even with a passenger airbag, if the seat is all the way back and the child is secured in a lap/shoulder belt and sitting back in the seat. Sitting back is important because leaning forward to, for example, fiddle with radio dials can put a child's head close to the airbag. If you routinely transport too many kids to put them all in the back and worry about keeping the child up front sitting back and away from the passenger airbag, you may wish to get an on/off switch. If you do get one, remember to use it correctly. Remember to turn off the airbag when an infant or child must ride in front."

That last sentence seems to answer the question.

OP
OP
M

MrLucky1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Joe. That certainly helps. Again, we are not going more than a few miles, but in the event of an accident it's important to know the proper answer.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most accidents occur within a few miles of your house. You have to be prepared whether you are going 1 block or 100 miles. The car should not move until all are properly restrained.

Could you live with yourself if by not properly belting your kids for a short trip and a drunk driver rearended you pulling out of your driveway, killing or injuring them? I couldn't. I don't care if I seem like the bad guy sometimes having all safely restrained, my job is to protect my family as best as I can, and I do.

Keep up the good work, stay safe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC