air conditioning issues.

ramblinman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
a couple things ive noticed now that its gotten warm enough to need my ac on my new car. I recently got a 2002 gts 4k mile car. First is that the temperature adjustment does not seem to work. I get cold air even with the temp control all way to right in the red. This even occurs even when the ac is not selected just the vent. When i select feet the air is hot. The other thing is that when i accelerate half throttle or so when ac is selected the air blows hot and the airflow decreases while under throttle. As soon as i stop acceleration airflow increases and cold air returns. Hope that Makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 02 GTS as well, you will learn that you either have Full heat or Full A/C there isn't much difference no matter what your switchology is, welcome to the wonderful world of GTS quirks! I wouldn't take anything else for it though! :)

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a couple things ive noticed now that its gotten warm enough to need my ac on my new car. I recently got a 2002 gts 4k mile car. First is that the temperature adjustment does not seem to work. I get cold air even with the temp control all way to right in the red. This even occurs even when the ac is not selected just the vent. When i select feet the air is hot. The other thing is that when i accelerate half throttle or so when ac is selected the air blows hot and the airflow decreases while under throttle. As soon as i stop acceleration airflow increases and cold air returns. Hope that Makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

Your car is working perfectly fine. The A/C will cut off under hard acceleration to save power. One of the things I learned at VOI. 9. You either get A/C through the vents in the dash or Hot defrost air through the vents on top on the dash under the windshield.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
other thing is that when i accelerate half throttle or so when ac is selected the air blows hot and the airflow decreases while under throttle. As soon as i stop acceleration airflow increases and cold air returns. Hope that Makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

Your car is working perfectly fine. The A/C will cut off under hard acceleration to save power.

I have read posts that support what 01sapphirebob states and others that dispute that scenario. In any event, there is also a failure mode which will give a result like what you are describing.

Engine vacuum is used to operate a door that controls the delivery of cold air from the AC evaporator. Under acceleration, that vacuum drops off; but, there is a check valve in the line that is supposed to prevent a short reduction in vacuum on the engine side of the valve from allowing the door to move out of position. That valve is behind the radio.

Read this thread : http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/578869-ac-shuts-off-when-gas-pedal.html

Doing the described fix rectified a similar issue that I had when I first bought my car.

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
would have been nice to have gotten one.

I might have an extra. I seem to remember the previous owner giving me one, and then later finding one in the passenger seatback. If you don't find yours there, PM me if interested, and I will go search a bit.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
would have been nice to have gotten one. If thats the case why even bother with the temp control knob then.
When the vent selection dial is to the left, the temp knob does nothing, when the vent selection dial is set to the right (feet & defrost) the dial does control the temp. When you select defrost, the AC kicks on, so it is possible to control the temp to some degree but you'll get misting on the windshield rather quickly with the cold air blowing on to the glass.

When you go WOT, the AC compressor does kick off, HOWEVER, you should not get a blast of hot air. The air doesn't warm that quickly, the hot air blast is the failure noted earlier, the vaccum control valve has gone bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc