air intake upgrade

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just bought a 97 gts and am looking for input on replacing the factory air box with another system, can any body give me some input on this?

2001ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest checking into the one from PBJ (Performance By Joe). Its the one I have on my car and in my opinion its the best quality and you can have it powdercoated any color you want. Here's a link to their webpage ( http://performancebyjoe.com/ ).

OP
OP
S

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
want it to be functonal but appearance is important, I work at a rice dealer and you would not beleive how many cars have come in hydro locked because the aftermarket intake sucked in water. I looked at one at elite and a carbon fober one at dc performance an d of course the k&n system

OP
OP
S

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had heard that in a couple of threads,( Elite) the on at dc looks and sound like a nice item

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a pic of mine that PBJ did for me recently. It's hard to see from the pic but there's a vipair style deflector incorporated in the front. I chose to have it powdercoated in krinkle red but you can get it in any color. The Sneaky Pete logo is actually a cutout with a polished metal background.

The rest of the engine bay will look better after I'm finished with a few things in there and I can detail it. Roe racing just called and said the red silicone hoses that were on backorder since July are finally in and being shipped today.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
S

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics still kicking it around, have you had any problems with water?

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Me? No, but I don't know if I'm a typical example since my car has never been in a drop of rain in its life.

OP
OP
S

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn N.E. weather you can't always trust what you hear. I'm working with Dan @ DC for the intake, will let you know how I make out.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought a 97 gts and am looking for input on replacing the factory air box with another system, can any body give me some input on this?

Welcome to Viper Nation my Blue & White brother! :2tu:

I went with a Carbon Fiber Airbox from Steve Prescott (he posts as: GTS-R 001)

2827cfairbox002-med.JPG

2827cfairbox004-med.jpg

Also, get a couple pairs of K&N filters while you're at it. One pair for the car and keep a clean pair on standby for when you need to change them. Then you can clean the dirty ones at your leisure.