1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airbag Recall Replacement Incorrect Tales

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by fhrzr1, Apr 23, 2020.

1. fhrzr1

fhrzr1 Enthusiast

No disrespect to anyone. On my 2005 Gen 3 Viper, I just removed the airbag module and replaced it with the new one.
    I will post pictures and procedure in the near future.

Here are some of the facts.

1. Steering wheel does not have to be removed, loosen or messed with at all. It is nowhere near the module.
    2. Module is located under the radio.

I will post pictures and procedure in the near future.
    20200318_144817_resized.jpg
    The module under the radio

2. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President Venom Member

I was reading the service bulletin on that as I was thinking about replacing it myself on my 2004 and didn't think you needed to take off near what it was telling you to. I think it certainly helps and makes things easier, but I also think if you are clever or have smaller hands it's not that bad.

I think the main reason they tell you to take the steering column out is to make it easier to remove the whole plastic dash trim. If you just loosen the nuts on the column support and let it fall down though you can wiggle the dash trim panel out though. I've done it what feels like a half dozen times now between the various things I've done on my car.

3. hlieber50

hlieber50 Enthusiast

Hi, Had my 2005 airbag module replaced by a dealer last Wednesday. Leading up to my appointment I had an argument with the service tech who would be doing the replacement. He insisted that the module was located under the console like 99.99% of all Chrysler products. I also needed my Cluster Bezel replaced because it was cracked. He said it would be done at additional charge. I said fine but when the car was done it was a no charge since the module was in the dash under the radio. I guess he felt guilty about our argument.

4. fhrzr1

fhrzr1 Enthusiast

To remove the dash trim, no need to loosen steering wheel.
    1. Remove plastic cover for turn signal and light switch, 2 screws( 1 minute).
    2. Remove turn signal/light switch unit, 2 screws and 2 electrical plugs ( 1 minute).
    3. Take dash bezel out.
    20200401_223718 A.jpg
    20200401_231342 B.jpg