Airport racing in Missouri

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently trailered my car to the Carabelle, FL half mile event (14 hrs each way). You may have seen the videos and pics that I posted from the event. It was by far the most fun that I have had since I have owned my Viper. We paid an entry fee of 85.00 and could run all day.

I would love to put together a similar event in our area. I know someone who is involved in the management at the Festus airport and I think we could make it happen there. However, due to the length of the runway we could only get 1/4 mile passes in.

Benefits are reduced inspection requirements (no rollbars required for higher hp cars), more passes than at the drag strip, better atmosphere.

My questions for the Gateway members are;

Would you be interested in doing this event if it involves only 1/4 mile passes?

Does anyone have contacts at some of the longer private/public airstrips where we can do 1/2 mile passes?

Thoughts?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know contacts, but there is a old unused air strip in viburnam( correct spelling?)mo. by the golf course that the tycoons used back in the day for mineing, looked to be in nice shape still.. just thought id throw that out there

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell ya' I'm interested.....:headbang:

There's another guy I know working on something at the St. Chas. airport also....

I'm sure Bross will be along soon too....

bross

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm helping at a small private airport in Moscow mills, I'd like to do a test run before I went too far with it to see how smooth it is. If it is smooth enough we could possibly do some quarter mile runs. I'll keep you posted

OP
OP
R

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Festus runway Is smooth and they seem open to the idea. I'd like to do 1/2 mile passes if possible though.

what's the runway length at Moscow Mills.

OP
OP
R

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Carabelle is 4000 ft and there was barely enough room to stop after the 1/2 mile.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm helping at a small private airport in Moscow mills, I'd like to do a test run before I went too far with it to see how smooth it is. If it is smooth enough we could possibly do some quarter mile runs. I'll keep you posted

I can help with that test run......:D

OP
OP
R

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can probably arrange for the Festus airport anytime this spring. Not sure when Bross is looking to do the Moscow Mills one?

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats not too far from my neck of the woods. If this has advanced any further from the idea/planning stage I might know a few guys down here that would be interested.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats not too far from my neck of the woods. If this has advanced any further from the idea/planning stage I might know a few guys down here that would be interested.

If Red Snake can work it out. We will let you and the VCA know all about it...:D

OP
OP
R

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are still waiting for the Airport Director to get back with us. I'll see what I can find out this weekend.

OP
OP
R

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After an onsite check of the facility, it has been determined that the surface at this Airport is too rough and not suitable for this type of event.

Anyone else have any luck?