Alarm and door handle light

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Little light on the door handle never goes off now except for when I crank the car; I receive one chirp from the horn after arming the alarm with the fob, but the second chirp never comes and the indicator light never illuminates. I can click the door lock and close the door and the light goes off, but no horn chirp. Any Ideas? Open circuit somewhere, but where?

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would think one of the door switches isn't shutting the light off when the door is closed, as long as the alarm system sees a door ajar signal it won't arm.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anything electrical on the door not working correctly seems to have about a 98% chance that its caused by the door-to-body wires breaking. I've had to splice in a total of 10 wires in four separate instances to fix:
- rear-view mirror control not working & door lock light not working
- not sensing the door open,
- outside door handle not working, and,
- this last week, the inside door handle not working.
I'd bought a replacement wiring harness (over $400 *with* our local club's 25% off discount) a while back, and installed the new door wiring harness yesterday. I sure hope the new door harness is made of better wires than the original (yet I have my doubts).

OP
OP
B

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update:

1. New harness installed in drivers door; all windows, swithces, and locks working fine.
2. Passenger door harness inspected with no defects found, looks new.
3. Rear deck is closing properly and cargo light is shutting off properly.
4. Hood switch is properly contacting the hood strike plate.
5. Reviewed the service manual that indicated the RKE module had the preceding input points as discreet thresholds before arming the vehicle alarm

Still, the problem persists.

RedWood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem, when i shut the doors the little door light doesn't turn off. If i use the factory alarm, shut the doors, and arm the car, the light does turn off as it should. please pm me if you find a fix. thanks in advance.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Little light on the door handle never goes off now except for when I crank the car; I receive one chirp from the horn after arming the alarm with the fob, but the second chirp never comes and the indicator light never illuminates. I can click the door lock and close the door and the light goes off, but no horn chirp. Any Ideas? Open circuit somewhere, but where?

I'm going to throw out a stupid question. What is this about a second chirp? :dunno:

In my '01 GTS it chirps once and the alarm is armed. And the red light blinks.

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to throw out a stupid question. What is this about a second chirp? :dunno:

In my '01 GTS it chirps once and the alarm is armed. And the red light blinks.

Mine is the same as yours Dave.I think two chirps indicates that it sees a problem.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 97 it chirps once when I press the lock button on the fob and chirps again when the red light on the dash begins to blink, about 3-8 seconds ( about 3 chugs of brew for you Dave).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960