Alarm Armed Indicator Light not working

goldfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I set the alarm on my 2001 that red alarm armed indicator light on the top of the dash (aka "ML Indicator") never comes on or flashes. I can't seem to find any documentation on troubleshooting what might be wrong so I can fix it. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be a number of things. Try resetting the system first using the key switch in the console. If that doesn't doesn't work, check your hood switch and see if it's closing correctly.

OP
OP
G

goldfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas Ronnie.
I tried resetting the system via the key switch in the console. I didn't even know that was there. I turned the key both directions and held it there for a few seconds in both directions. Still doesn't work.
I'm sure I will sound like an idiot now, but where exactly is the hood switch located? Not in the index in the users manual...
Thanks,
Mike

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mike, I don't want this to sound like I'm yanking your chain...BUT, as I cannot tell from the post, I need to ask if you are getting ANY response from your key fob? And, if you say yes...how can you tell that you are? Do the Viper's lights flash or horn chirp? Have you tried to resync fob? Have you tried to "arm" alarm...then open the door to see if it goes off?
Please understand that I am only trying to "get the picture" in order to try to help. If you like, call me.
317-402-9013

OP
OP
G

goldfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The horn chirps once and doors lock when the alarm is set via fob. The lights flash twice and doors unlock when I press the deactivate button on the fob. The ML Indicator never flashes. I tried to trip the alarm 5 times by opening the back hatch. Only once did the horn start chirping and lights flashing like it should when alarm is set off. Steve, thanks again for spending so much time on the phone with me last night trying to figure this out. That was really way above and beyond the call of duty. (we also did try resyncing the fob).
I agree that it sounds like a Viper-Tech visit is in my future - something is just jacked-up somewhere in the system. At least the car still starts...
Mike

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mike, A TRUSTED/KNOWLEDGABLE member in your area has given me some info for you... if you like, e-mail me your e-mail address, and I'll forward the info...either way, I will call you tomorrow after I check with a Viper Tech concerning the EEM.

Woody

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem recently. I had to have the rear 'shocks' (I am not sure of the technical term) replaced. When they were installed, the switch for the hatch position was not installed properly and therefore the doors would lock, but the system would never arm because it was getting a signal indicating the hatch was open. I believe that there are 4 or five sensors all together. This may seem like a silly question, but have you checked to see if it is just a bulb? You can lock the doors and then pop the hood. If the alarm goes off, you have a bad bulb. If not, you have a bad sensor somewhere. Good Luck.

DG Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen when I first got my car... To be honest, I can't remember what the issue was but a trip to the Viper Tech solved the problem and it hasn't reoccurred since.

Good luck, hopefully it will be as simple for you as it was for me.

OP
OP
G

goldfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. I tried pretty much everything that was suggested here. Per Steve's suggestion I finally took the car to John Elway Dodge and had their Viper Tech Glenn Pribbenou look at the car. Dealing with them was a great experience. It ended up being a defective switch in the hatch assembly. *****, you were close.. :) I get my car back tomorrow.
The best part about this was that the car is a 2001 and I was pretty sure it was out of warranty. But then they ran it through their computer and the in-service date was March 2002. So she is still under warranty! That was about a $500.00 savings. Life is good.
Thanks again,
Mike

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the followup, Mike...and THANKS to Jerry in Colo. for the advice on service help.

Mike, I sure hope that you can find the time to get hooked up with more of the VCA group there...and ENJOY that Snake !!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960