Alarm sensitivity

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my RT is inside my garage and I arm the alarm, it works quite well, unless it's windy outside because then the alarm will start after a while with no reason. If I leave the car outside, windy or not, for sure the alarm will start as well after a while.
I quite don't use it anymore because of that.
Is there a way i can reduce the alarm sensitivity or it is just a common problem on Vipers and I better forget about it?
Thanks in advance.

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got my Viper (also 100%) stock and all I can say is that my alarm isn't that sensitive. I'm not sure how the Viper's alarm system works, but I remember in my other cars, their stock alarm system had a "sensitivity" dial. You really had to look for it though. On my S2000 it was located underneath the steering wheel...near the pedals. On the NSX it was in the front trunk...I haven't had the chance to find the Viper's (if it has one).

Good luck.

ntxvipertech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the hood pin switch.It can trigger the alarm if the switch is not adjusted properly,Wind shaking the hood or heat/cool changes in the hood could allow the pin switch to move enough to trigger the alarm.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's probably the hood switch and bracket location, not a faulty switch. I don't have the late model hood switch bracket part # in front of me at the moment or I would post. On the later model RT/10 and GTS, Dodge moved the hood switch up to the front by the latch. This production change was made for a reason, to cure the problem you are experiencing. The switch bracket was originally mounted about 1/4 to mid way of the hood, but due to expansion/retraction of the hood itself, the switch would open, resulting in the alarm sounding. Simply stagger cut the switch connector wires a few inches from the connector and lengthen to reach the passenger side hood latch. Mount the late model bracket and a new switch, close the hood a few times and problem solved.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The stock viper alarm does not have any motion sensor. So, you should be able to beat on the car with a sledgehammer and not set it off - the only sensors for the alarm are 1) the doors, 2) the hood and 3) if a GTS, the hatch.

If motion is setting your stock viper alarm off, then the most likely cause would probably be the hood switch, which is known to work itself loose (just re-adjust it and tighten it down), or a bad control module.

OP
OP
J

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all :2tu: !
Is that the switch you are talking about on the left side of the picture? And where do I need to move it? Any picture of the correct location would be greatly appreciated (so as the part # I need ;) )!
9748DSCF3675-RFI-med.jpg

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, thats the switch right behind the hood spring. You might just try raising it up slightly so it is not sensitive to wind pressure on the car.

OP
OP
J

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it really possible to adjust the high of that sensor? I removed it today but I couldn't move the white part to adjust it.
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
J

JiPi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I slightly raised up the hood switch and the alarm seems to be working just fine now. Thanks all for the help!