Alarm set light/does not start

Vetsandvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to try and explain everything the best I can. I have owned my 1994 for about 1 year now. Ever since I have owned it I have had a few problems with it. A couple days after I bought it I noticed that my alarm set light will come on while I was driving I did not pay a whole lot of attention to it until one day it did not start up on me. I replaced the battery and to my surprise I noticed that it had the O/E battery from 1994! Shortly after I had new bat installed the light would come and it randomly would not start. To make it start I would have to unplug the battery connection and reconnect it and it would fire right up. On the times it does not start what would happen is it fires up real quick then shuts itself down like fuel is being shut off.

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your factory alarm is also ties into the ignition. If the alarm set lights is flashing it will not start as you've found out. I'm really surprized you where able to reset it by disconnecting the battery. usually that turns mine on. My car also had the same problem while I was driving. I installed a switch to the disarm wire and now I have no problems. My factory remotes never worked.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the batteries good in the FOB's [remotes] and are they still programed to the Viper [do they work?]?
If you'd like, give me a call, maybe I can help? :dunno:

RickViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a problem just like Mad Max... my remotes never work!!! and the dealers wich i took the car never found the way to program them, i even got a new remote and still never work!!, so every time i have to disconect or change battery i already found the wire under the sterring wheel and i added a cable so when the alarm goes on i just have to ground it... and thats it... either way this type of conection i did if someone sees what im doing specially a hot girl really looks bad!!!

alfred77

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having the same type of problem. my viper won't start after the battery died and is now recharged. The motor turns over once or twice like the fuel is not getting to the engine. the dash reads "alarm set", but the key fab no longer works. I cant engage or disengage the alarm using the remote. It has always worked in the past. Please help?

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The problem could be related to the alarm module or the remote entry module. There are some simple tests to check the system if you cannot program your fobs. If you do get in a situation where the alarm is set, you cannot turn it off and the car starts and dies. You can jump the entry module with a test lead.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As Dan has said (but NOT posted for Viper owner security reasons) you need a little assistance...noting that sometimes the "test" is the cure.

Leatherman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a very similar problem with my 94 RT. Driving along the alarm set light will come on for no reason and sometimes the car will start for a few seconds and cut out. Other times it will start ok. I have done all the normal checks like battery and key fob battery but everything seems fine.I would like to get it sorted out before it fails completely and possible fit an aftermarket alarm. In the manual it says that if I disconnect the alarm module whilst the engine is running it will disarm completely. Has anyone done this ??

Pry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have this same problem on my Gen1. When I try to start the car it runs about 2 seconds and then it shuts off and the "alarm set" flashes. The remote doesn't seem to do anything anymore even though I just changed the batteries.
Can someone pm me the cure?

Thanks

Flyng Low

VCA Member
Reaction score
Here's another "me too". I have a '94 that is my daily driver. A few weeks ago the alarm fob stopped working but I just opened my own doors and kept driving. Then I took the car apart, including disconnecting the battery, to install and wire a new sound system. When I hooked the battery back up, the alarm was set and lights flashed for 10 min. Remote would not reset the alarm. Car starts but immediately dies. I tried the key fob reprogram procedure in the Service Manual on my key fob and on another new one I had - no luck, although this had worked for me a few years ago. Both fob batteries good. Tried removing red battery cable and grounding it on the battery base bolt. When reattached - alarm set again and nothing works to reset it. Help please - I'm driving a minivan!
Steve-Indy, I would like to talk to you if you would give me your phone number.

Curt

Flyng Low

VCA Member
Reaction score
I called Steve-Indy and he gave me the 2-step procedure to clear my locked alarm module. Worked perfectly. Three honks and I'm back to normal. So don't fight a Gen-I with an "Alarm set" light stuck on. Get in touch with Steve-Indy, Chuck "Wizard" Tater, me, or someone else that knows Vipers and, if you aren't a car thief, they will tell you how to do it. Thanks for being there for me guys. Is this a great forum or what!

Curt

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Great job, Curt...you obviously know your way around a Viper!! Happy Holidays to You and Yours !

P.S. NICE RIDES in your sig !!!!!

ConstableBrown

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 95 that did the same thing. I purchased it from an individual that had no idea how to operate the remote, alarm system, digital proximity device.....nothing. I drove it from NY to PA without any issues. I put on the **** pit cover the other day and when I came out the "ALARM SET" light was flashing and the battery was dead. I charged the battery and the engine will do nothing. The fob which seemed to work prior to this now does nothing, even with new batteries. I am going to disconnect the battery as stated in other threads but I wanted to know about the 2 step procedure that would clear the alarm module and see if that would help?? I live in Carlisle, PA and the spring car show is this weekend and would like to go cruisin' with some of the out of town rides that come to visit........please help!! thanks!

Jibarm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a similar problem on my viper. My battery died from sitting. My FOB does work, but the car will not start since replacing the battery. Can someone help me with the procedure?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
AS you have read above, feel free to call me tomorrow. Be advised that given your lack of history here, and the sensitive nature of this info, you will need to convince me that you are the legal owner of said Viper. 317-402-9013

Jibarm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Steve,
Not a problem. I totally understand. Thank you for helping me out. Is there a good time to call tomorrow?

Jibarm

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Morning Steve,
Here is some information about me and my 1995 RT10 Viper:
VIN **************376
My legal name is Paul D ****** but I go by Doug.
I purchased the car back in 2000 from a guy out in California with 17,000 miles.
Right now it has 39,000
It has been sitting for the past 2 years in my condo garage in Satellite Beach. I couldn't get it to fire up about 6 months ago, so I brought it over to St. Petersburg where I reside most of the time due to business.
I have a good buddy of mine, Mark, who is car savvy helping me out. There is no spark from the plugs when trying to fire and we believe it has something to do with the ADS.
I will give you a call shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tcheri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I have the same problem with yellow alarm ligh on the dash, an innoperaive remote, all this after a battery problem.
How can I pair again my remote ?

Many thanks

Thierry

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
While there is a procedure for both resynchronizing and for reprogramming your fob, I doubt that will be necessary. I suspect your issue is related to wiring and or module.

Since the described alarm system behavior is often the prelude to getting stuck somewhere, many people choose to disable the alarm on their Gen I Viper. This is a personal choice.

Call me if you wish to discuss this further. 317 402 9013.

I am on EDT...which is the same as New York time.

Dhorn35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello - I am having a similar problem. The battery died one me over the weekend, i put on a tender for 3 days. Now the car will start but only run for a couple seconds at most then die. The second attempt at starting it just cranked. Then the third time i tried feathering the throttle an it started up and ran while feathering the throttle. I shut it back off after it warmed up, tried turning it on again and same issue, dies after couple seconds. Any help is appreciated!

Dave
1996 GTS & 1996 Indy Ram

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Given the history and observations you presented, my first step would be to check the battery voltage...but do so after it has been off of a charger or tender at least 30 minutes. After noting that reading and with the volt meter still connected, turn on the headlights to see the effects of a load. Please report your findings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper