ALL MOTOR BUILD!!(Pics)

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to be dyno tuning on Friday April the 3rd at 7pm at Mayhem Motorsports in Raleigh, NC if any of you guys are close by!

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CCW SP550s are on! More crappy cell phone pics. But you get the idea.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well....just got home from Raleigh with no dyno numbers:(

Had to do a lot of troubleshooting and at the end we figured out that the valves had too tight of a lash and the VEC3 ONCE AGAIN is not putting out a signal to injector #2. So have to send it in again to have it looked at.

On the way up we were put 1-1.5hrs behind because of Charlotte bumper to bumper traffic then 1hr from Raleigh we had a blowout on the trailer!! So it started out bad and just kept going down hill.

The shop even had the audacity to charge me with 4hrs of dyno time ($150/hr) and we didn't even strap down to the dyno!!!!:dunno:

So special thanks to Joseph Dell for taking his time to help me out all night, he is second to NONE!

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... we figured out that the valves had too tight of a lash ...

Ignorant mechanic question here : what happens when the valves have too tight of a lash? Does that mean the valves never completely close? And how did you figure that out, with a compression check maybe?

Bob

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JD rocks !

sorry ya had so much trouble and then the dyno guy charges ya...thats BS. i understand SOME kind of charge maybe but the full 4 hours ?

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you ran into some challenges, but hope they are sorted out quickly and you can find out what she puts down.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lash too tight = valves hang open and the car misfires b/c the cylinders are not firing.

Steve's car looks awesome in person. Pictures don't do the rims justice. The car _wants_ to run. And even on 9 cylinders it sounds AWESOME. The cam selection was perfect. It is a shame that we couldn't run it on the dyno, though. i mean we could have... but we'd be missing 10% of the power.

Steve - you'll get there. the car has sooooooooooooo much potential! Glad you made it home safe!

Joseph

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lash too tight = valves hang open and the car misfires b/c the cylinders are not firing.

Steve's car looks awesome in person. Pictures don't do the rims justice. The car _wants_ to run. And even on 9 cylinders it sounds AWESOME. The cam selection was perfect. It is a shame that we couldn't run it on the dyno, though. i mean we could have... but we'd be missing 10% of the power.

Steve - you'll get there. the car has sooooooooooooo much potential! Glad you made it home safe!

Joseph

Good meeting you the other night. Guess I need to pick me up a vec for old yellow so I can get you to tune her too :D

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good meeting you the other night. Guess I need to pick me up a vec for old yellow so I can get you to tune her too :D

My pleasure! Just don't buy one from the same 'lot' that Steve's have come from!

Good meeting you too! That's a sweet yellow you got there. It looks fast just sitting still!

Joseph

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well....just got home from Raleigh with no dyno numbers:(

Had to do a lot of troubleshooting and at the end we figured out that the valves had too tight of a lash and the VEC3 ONCE AGAIN is not putting out a signal to injector #2. So have to send it in again to have it looked at.

On the way up we were put 1-1.5hrs behind because of Charlotte bumper to bumper traffic then 1hr from Raleigh we had a blowout on the trailer!! So it started out bad and just kept going down hill.

The shop even had the audacity to charge me with 4hrs of dyno time ($150/hr) and we didn't even strap down to the dyno!!!!:dunno:

So special thanks to Joseph Dell for taking his time to help me out all night, he is second to NONE!

Sorry to hear about the trouble. It will all be sorted out in the end...it just takes time.

Steve, if you want to try my Split Sec...I'll send it to you. If you like it...keep it. Just send another one to me. Just give me a call if you want it.

My only issue I ever had with my Split Sec was the damn idle hang and skip shift. But they can be tuned out by buying a reprogramed PCM. This could be a good option for you....with the luck you've had with the VEC.

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the support guys! I know it will be badass if we can get by all the bs. haha

Bobby - Don't get rid of the split sec just yet! I'm going to give the Vec one more shot, but that sounds like a good alternative.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bobby - Don't get rid of the split sec just yet! I'm going to give the Vec one more shot, but that sounds like a good alternative.

Steve,

I was going to put it on my GTS-R (can I call it that??? :dunno: )

But it's going to take me about 6mo to get to it. I've got bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Maybe I'll get Joe to tune the Split Sec for me... :rolaugh: :D :lmao:

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update:

In the process of changing the injector clips. That's pretty much the last bit to be wrapped up. Sean Roe hooked me up with a new slave board for the VEC3 (It was completely fried!!!!). That's why no signal was going to the #2 injector.

So not long before it is completed. My only issue now is an oil leak coming from what looks like the rear main seal!!

Steve

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the support guys! I know it will be badass if we can get by all the bs. haha

Steve,

Why don't you just use the split second? I have a very similar setup as you, and I am using the split second without any troubles so far. :drive:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update:

In the process of changing the injector clips. That's pretty much the last bit to be wrapped up. Sean Roe hooked me up with a new slave board for the VEC3 (It was completely fried!!!!). That's why no signal was going to the #2 injector.

So not long before it is completed. My only issue now is an oil leak coming from what looks like the rear main seal!!

Steve

Well if your going to go with an oil leak, go big! Rear main!!

Keep us posted.

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

Why don't you just use the split second? I have a very similar setup as you, and I am using the split second without any troubles so far. :drive:

I'm giving the vec one more shot seeing as it is as close to new as I can get!

Well if your going to go with an oil leak, go big! Rear main!!

Keep us posted.

lol...go big or go home!:rolaugh:

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's alive!!!.....again;)

Quick vid and some shots from tonight's test drive

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

It runs and drives great under 1/4 throttle. After that it stumbles from too much fuel.

No tune or numbers yet, it is going to take some e-mail tuning with Joseph before I get any good numbers.

Man it is weird being able to drive it again!!!

OP
OP

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea it is a tiny bit rich...lol. But I have a wideband to monitor the a/f and will adjust.

Also...the valves are set at 0.018 on both the intake and exhaust.