Aluminum Fan Pulley Set Worthwhile??

MAMBA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know others who have installed billet aluminum pulley sets on Cobras for instance and have gained a substantial hp increase. Does anyone have them installed on a GEN 1 RT/10 and if so was it worthwhile at a cost of approx. $400-$500?? What would be the approximate gain in hp?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a set dyno'd a few weeks back after the new pulley set was installed, and there was NO gain.

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have personally never see a hp gain from pullies, unless attached to a blower. Under drive pullies can help free up horsepower, eliminate load on the engine but they are not designed to increase hp. On the opposite end I have seen problems caused by u/d pullies such as undercharging or overcharging batteries, headlamps dimming at idle, engines running hotter at idle. They tend to be more for show than go.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A steel pulley for a 5.9L also fits, costs less. It may be difficult to measure the decrease in power from spinning accessories more slowly, but it will help avoid the exploding autocross power steering pump or cap.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to me I've read a couple comments about the stock pulleys being plastic. I think I've also read where a few have cracked.

Not all upgrades are for HP.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a steel underdrive set on a Gen1, and can't say it did anything for the ET. I'd spend the $400-$500 on something else... One trick I did do on my Gen 1 was to put on a shorter serpentine belt at the strip bypassing the power steering and maybe even the AC pulley at the same time. It's been 8yrs and my memory's foggy, but I'm 99% sure it was at least the power steering. I don't remember the belt routing to know what's possible, but check it out. Cheaper than a pulley set!

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what I put on; just the crank pulley. At higher RPM (track), the power accessories turn slower, a plus, and in a small way, reacts like a lighter flywheel allowing quicker engine acceleration. (RPM). Have had it on for 3 years.
Here are the specs: 1996 RT/10 Gen 1, with Air Condition.
Stock Pulley (with Air Cond.) 2 lbs. 7 oz.; 7 in. Dia; 77.6 in. belt (7 rib)

25% under Aluminum Pulley: 1 lb. 0 oz.; 5 1/2 in Dia.; 74.7 in. belt (6 rib)
(Requires purchase of shorter belt - any auto parts store; price $20-$35)

Runs good and charges at 14 + amps with AC and Radio, a slight dim when lights added at idle, but recovers instantly.

Later,