aluminum flywheels -your experience

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that there are many people who have installed lightweight aluminum flywheels in their cars.
I am looking for actual results using these with the stock rear gear ratio, and people who have changed rear gears to 3.45, or 3.54. Did you notice any increase or decrease in your 1/4 times. I am seriously considering this mod and would be greatful to hear about your actual experiences. Thanks

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SNKBYT:
..... many people who have installed lightweight aluminum flywheels in their cars.

I am looking for actual results using these with the stock rear gear ratio .......

I am ........ considering this mod .......

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too!

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with installing a (high quality) aluminum flywheel. It's easier on the engine bottom end, the car accelerates faster in the lower gears (1st-3rd) and the car pulls harder harder coming off the corners. The ideal time to install one is if you're already working in the area anyway (trans, clutch, etc.) work. I have one in the RT/10 and GTS and would not want to go back to stock.

Note: No commercial message follows since this is not the vendors posting area
smile.gif

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a flywheel on E-Bay that the seller claims is the exact same as the one Roe, HMS, and TNT. Is this one really the exact same part from same manufacturer?

Dave

I hear that the lightened flywheel will also help deceleration..for you road course guys.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my experience with an aluminum flywheel:

-She revs up alot quicker then a stock Viper when you gun it in neutral.

-in conjuction with my 3.54 gears she bolts out of the corners.

-Didn't loose any time in 1/4 mile.

In Monterey this summer during the Rendezvous Autocross I drove my car for 6 passes around the course and then got 4 passes in a factory 01' GTS. The factory car felt like a sled. My car was sooooo much more responsive it was scary.

nutsRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The flywheel/3:54 gears is a great,relatively inexpensive mod. Quicker response as SOCAL stated. Definately throws you back in the seat in a 1st gear launch. Also 6th gear is not the "slug" gear with the stock set up. I have the Archer flywheel it was a little under$500.

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I HAVE THE ROE FLYWHEEL IN MY 93 RT. MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. ONE OF THE BEST "BANG FOR THE BUCK" MODS IVE DONE. CAR WINDS UP LIKE A SMALL BLOCK.

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Fidanza with a 3.54 gear, and it is more responsive than the gearset without the aluminum flywheel. However, as Roe-tisserie said, unless you have some cash burning in your pocket, I wouldn't swap out the flywheel unless you are already going to have some work done on the tranny. I swapped mine out in conjunction with some clutch work, so it worked out well. I think as an individual mod, the labor for swapping out the flywheel would be more than the cost of the part itself.

BTW, when I was checking Roe's price was the best I came across for the Fidanza part.

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have the Fidanza flywheel with 3:55 spicer gears.. I got more of a bang from the gears than the flywheel by far.. Like the
others said it's worth it only if you're already removing the tranny for another reason...

MADDMAXS57

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have yet to put one on my 99GTS, BUT, I put one on my Stealth T/T when I upgraded the turbos and it made a significant difference in power delivery.

Now if I can just figure out how to best launch the Viper I can beat the Stealth with a 1.284 R/T and a 60' time of 1.724! It is hard to beat a tweeked AWD off the line.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only downside I have seen with the aluminum flywheel and 3.07 gearset is when I'm driving slowly thru parking lots or in bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic. The uneven fire V-10 needs some serious flywheel mass to dampen the pulses. It can be somewhat annoying when you've been used the heavy units for 8+ years.

Now the good stuff - 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear are MUCH more responsive. I have not yet had any track time with the new setup to evaluate it, but others have covered it well enough. I would expect slightly more trouble with throttle modulation as I tiptoe thru corners with throttle steer, but I might be pleasantly surprised.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Fidanza makes an excellent aluminum flywheel and it's who we all pretty much use these days. I'm at the SEMA show now and had a nice meeting with them today.

Albert, is what you're selling for $375-$400 a Fidanza? Others are okay also, but I'd just like to know.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an aluminum Fidanza flywheel from Roe Racing and 3.45 gears. I had the flywheel installed during a clutch change. You definitely feel it SOTP, but it has not helped or hurt my 1/4 mile times. It is probably more of a benefit in road course racing as coming out of turns is a lot quicker. I think the flywheel and rear gear change contributed to more wheel spin at launch for my drag racing. Once you get the car going though and shift gears it was downright scary when I first got it. It just feels a lot faster. When I am at speed and downshift to pass someone, wow, I feel like I am launching into orbit.

OP
OP
S

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any time slips from the 1/4 mile that they compared before and after installing the lighter flywheel. Did the lighter flywheel actually improve the times of make them worse. Also did it affect top end speed for the 1/4 mile? Lastly, were you running stock gears or a higher ratio? Thanks Tim

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aluminum Flywheel OK for road racing or drag racing in street tires. But if you run slicks on a NA car it kills you. Bogs the car off the line.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did first use the McLeod Alu FlyWheel with 3:54, and had big broblems with traction on the strip. Then I changed back to 3:07 and the Viper just loooved the "higher" gearing. That was the only way for me to get into the 10 second area on the strip. But I must admit that I would have preferd to stay with the 3:54 for street driving.

Cheers from Sweden!

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SNKBYT,
I still use the 3.07 and stock flywheel. I believe every other 9 second Viper (only 3 others remain?) has an aluminum flywheel and 3.45 gears. I've got the flywheel and the gear but they are still in the garage. I'll see if they make any difference some day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4