American Le Mans not good for American Viper Racing

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tommy archer did a great job even though it is not a real viper engine. but it still is a Mopar motor. Unfortunately for American Viper Racing it was not a good day. It is obvious they do not have the money or expertise to compete with the factory backed Corvettes and with the Sallens who also have a lot of money behind them. But Porsche is not backing all the teams in GT and they are also blowing away the American Viper team. In fact the Viper is always near the end. But I condone their effort. Way to go Tommy Archer.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Having had the enjoyable privilige to serve on the AVR pit crew this weekend, w/ 3 fellow VCAers, I disagree on one point:

The expertise is indeed there! The professionalism of the crew and the pro-drivers is top-notch. The owner is in this for a labor of love. When #44 crashed in practice, (Owner to hospital for 3 hours) 75 minutes till qualifying, this team BUSTED B U T T to repair and replace everything and still qualify the car with a 1.17 time! You had to be there! The announcer saying" They'll be hard presssed to get that Viper in the show in under an hour/" Heart-pounding pressure, professionalism, and the team, all heart, DID IT ! LOTS of spectators watched the fixing......even spatters of applause as we rolled 'er out!

FUNDING is one point. TIRES are a major point! Even with $$$, one beautiful Saleen had a motor fail. AVR trucked on with both cars, til #22 P-911 centerpunched the RR wheel of car #44, and took us out near the end. 2-3 other GTS cars died...the Vette was underweight and DQd! Money and Expertise galore, and failed tech! Audi got finaly beat by a 3+year old Panoz backup car.

Michelin only gives their tires to factory-backed teams. The BEST tires in roadracing today are Michelins. ORECA can get em, and AVR cannot. Michelin "loans" them to Oreca, and claims them after every race!

If AVR had Oreca's Michelins (instead of Dunlops!) they could shave TWO SECONDS off the lap times at PIR, and more at other tracks! FACT!

My hands hurt, Im sunburned, my bones ache, and I'm black n blue from the fun...... But RACING needs the "Dave Marcus" teams too...proud back-of-packers who race to finish, and entertain the fans and sponsors. From what I saw, a sponsor would NOT REGRET helping this AVR Team.

OP
OP
T

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB

Thanks for opening my eyes on the American Viper racing Team and their dedication and hard work. I guess no one sees what goes on behind the scenes. I did not know that you were not allowed to race the Michelin Tires. In the end I guess it's all a matter of money and unfortunately the budget cant be matched to the Corvette or even the Saleen budget. It's too bad that you are not able to get the Michelin Tires tires because it would be embarrasing if a private team beat a factory team such as the Corvettes and Saleens. But thanks again for the update.

JonB are you with the team at every race. What do you do for them. I am interested to know what the budget is for American Viper racing. Who is the owner of the team. Are their any sponsors backing you.

Thanks

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember races where the Oreca Vipers and Franz Konrad's Porsche were the only GTS entries. The outcome was predictable and I am glad for the Viper podium finishes but the scrappy AVR teams are more fun to watch even if they do not win. Corvette would not even show up in Portland and other ALMS races even with all the factory backing last year. The AVR team are underdogs in the racetrack which is funny because when did we ever bring our street vipers to track events and were considered underdogs? We have Team Viper members working/volunteering on these cars and I hope their experience filters down to the new Viper. I passed the word to the OR/WA VCA members to please support AVR when they came to Portland and they sure did. I saw pictures of my Viper tech and old(figuratively speaking)friends working with the pit crew and that must have been a thrill for them. When AVR was in Sears Point, they invited VCA members to join them in the trailer. Which current race team will do this with the VCA ?? By the way, AVR took second in class after the Corvette #2 was disqualified and the Saleen had engine problems. Hey, we may not be the fastest but we finish. Go AVR !!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Toronto_ACR:
JonB ..Thanks for opening my eyes on the American Viper racing Team and their dedication and hard work. I guess no one sees what goes on behind the scenes..................
JonB are you with the team at every race. What do you do for them. I am interested to know what the budget is for American Viper racing. Who is the owner of the team. Are their any sponsors backing you. Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TORONTO ! I have a deal for you ! I do NOT travel w/ AVR. Just work PIR/SIR/YVR/T-Hill

IF you are a VCA member, and can change a tire and work hard, YOU TOO might be able to be part of the AVR Pit Crew when they visit Mosport /ALMS on 8/17-19. AVR has invited your VCA president, Dave Crane, to pick 3 members. Find Dave in Viper magazine, and get in contact FAST !

Tom Weickhardt is owner of AVR, and also 1/2 of the driver team of car #44. He is seeking some sponsorship, 1 race or all! Room on the car for YOUR COMPANY NAME at Mosport! Bring your VIP guests and get top-notch hospitality. E-mail Tom at: [email protected]

OK, not the best picture, but hey...THIS COULD BE YOU!
You can see my best side....the top of my head!

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
T

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB I was planning on going to Mosport to see the race. I can think of no better place to see it than close to the pits. Myself and my friends who also own Vipers would love to help out. I will email and call the number you stated on your last post. i think it's great how the American Viper Team is giving their all. I'm glad that they are planning on expanding next season to LeMans. I think all Viper owners should put up some money for support. If everyone else would so would I.

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VCA, how do we support AVR ?

1. Sponsorship with your Company
2. VCA sponsorship with contributions from members
3. Raise funding from AVR items like shirts, posters, etc.
4. Local VCA where AVR races raises funds for chance to join pit crew.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187